Trying a new dry rub on some ribs.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
The rubs i mix stay dry but i also invested in a canister that seals with a silicone gasket with a "lock" lever to insure no moisture gets in. my other friend found a bunch of vacuum seal canisters that he uses for his mixes. i have been looking for those also.

I also add more honey powder and let it set for 15 mins then sprinkle on my rub when i do my spicy-sweet pork butt.

Reactions: SonnyE
The rubs i mix stay dry but i also invested in a canister that seals with a silicone gasket with a "lock" lever to insure no moisture gets in. my other friend found a bunch of vacuum seal canisters that he uses for his mixes. i have been looking for those also.

I also add more honey powder and let it set for 15 mins then sprinkle on my rub when i do my spicy-sweet pork butt.

Thanks, sounds like a good idea.
I think I'll get a box of 1/2 pint Mason's, or Jelly Jars, and use my Vacuum sealer with the Mason jar sealer.
I got the vacuum attachments so I could make Al's Pickles. And I use a 1/2 gallon Mason jar to vacuum marinade meat for jerky.
I'm turning into a regular Suzy Homemaker.... LOL! I even do windows when I have too. :p

I'll pile on to the SPOG discussion. I use deydrated or minced Onion since it is all my Costco carries and I use granulated Garlic (again what Costco carries).

For pork seasoning I go SPOG + Paprika. If i wanted heat I would also add Cayenne. I've never seen anyone season with sugar while cooking or smoking down here so maybe it's a TX thing.
Also I personally wouldn't add sugar until the end of the cook to avoid it burning and/or turning bitter. I like sauce so my sugar flavor gets added at the table when I put sauce on things. That makes life simple plus there ain't no beatin Rudy's BBQ Sause :D

I think you are where I got the bug in my head from. LMAO! :rolleyes:
I have a 3 pound can coming from Augustine Farms, via ebay. Again, that bug from you, I believe.

Curious; Do you find the powdered honey remains dry in your rubs? Or will it draw moisture and become clumpy?
It's new to me, so my inquiring mind wants to know. :D;)

SonnyE,

here is two pics of what i do to my brisket, dry rubbed and from the left to right the fourth bottle is the powered honey.
Second pic is the brisket tightly wrapped in the plastic wrap.
upload_2018-9-21_15-7-13.jpeg

upload_2018-9-21_15-7-51.jpeg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky