Tritip, Meatballs, Meatloaf Fatty - Oah my!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

normonster

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jun 15, 2017
deleted

Attachments

• 1 Start.JPG
    1 Start.JPG
    148.1 KB · Views: 418
  • 2 French Oak.JPG
    2 French Oak.JPG
    132.2 KB · Views: 412
  • 3 Tri Tip.JPG
    3 Tri Tip.JPG
    124.2 KB · Views: 414
  • 4 Meat Balls.JPG
    4 Meat Balls.JPG
    97.4 KB · Views: 412
  • 5 Fatty makins.JPG
    5 Fatty makins.JPG
    126.4 KB · Views: 412
  • 6 Fatty prog1.JPG
    6 Fatty prog1.JPG
    109.4 KB · Views: 410
  • 7 Fatty prog2.JPG
    7 Fatty prog2.JPG
    132.8 KB · Views: 414
  • 8 Fatty prog3.JPG
    8 Fatty prog3.JPG
    128 KB · Views: 410
  • 9 Fatty prog4.JPG
    9 Fatty prog4.JPG
    138.6 KB · Views: 407
  • 10 Fatty prog5.JPG
    10 Fatty prog5.JPG
    144.7 KB · Views: 408
  • 11 Fatty prog 6.JPG
    11 Fatty prog 6.JPG
    118.2 KB · Views: 408
  • 12 Fatty boom boom.JPG
    12 Fatty boom boom.JPG
    102 KB · Views: 405
  • 13 The lineup.JPG
    13 The lineup.JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 409
  • 14 Grill ready.JPG
    14 Grill ready.JPG
    207.5 KB · Views: 28
  • 15 Grill loaded up.JPG
    15 Grill loaded up.JPG
    205.8 KB · Views: 405
  • 16 Tiptop.JPG
    16 Tiptop.JPG
    96 KB · Views: 406
  • 17 progress1.JPG
    17 progress1.JPG
    193.9 KB · Views: 406
  • 18 progress2.JPG
    18 progress2.JPG
    188.1 KB · Views: 406
  • 19 progress3.JPG
    19 progress3.JPG
    144.2 KB · Views: 403
  • 20 tritip overdone.JPG
    20 tritip overdone.JPG
    86.8 KB · Views: 402
  • 21 Inner Fatty.JPG
    21 Inner Fatty.JPG
    145.5 KB · Views: 407
  • 22 plated.JPG
    22 plated.JPG
    112.4 KB · Views: 398
Last edited:
Everything looks delicious!
I really like the idea of putting olives in the fattie!
Looks like a great way to spend the day!
Congrats on making the carousel!
Al

That looks fantastic,fatty is still on my list.I would be killed if I ruined a tri tip,@ $12.00 a # Point worthy
Richie

That's some good looking grub you got going on there. Nice use of the kettle's versatility.

Point for sure.

Chris

Looks real good, especially that fatty. Wife not a big olive fan though. What else do you stuff with?

I have a tri tip waiting to be smoked. It will be my first. What is your typical goal for IT? Any special marinade you like?

Love the pics.

Wow that looks awesome. I'm sitting here at work looking at it and my mouth is watering uncontrollably
Nice jobs. Points for that cook

All of it looks good! Great job!

Thanks yankee2bbq yankee2bbq ! Made for good meatball sando's the next day too!

Everything looks delicious!
I really like the idea of putting olives in the fattie!
Looks like a great way to spend the day!
Congrats on making the carousel!
Al

Thank you Al! I was desperate to stuff it with something loosely associated with a meatloaf...olives fit the bill! Next time I'd like to figure out some type of umami rich sauce to put in there with the olives and I want to get it wrapped so that the stuffin' is in the middle like a donut (with no swirl). Practice time!

That looks fantastic,fatty is still on my list.I would be killed if I ruined a tri tip,@ $12.00 a # Point worthy
Richie

I hear you Richie! My wife was pissed. I softens the blow though knowing it came from a double pack of untrimmed steaks on sale for 2.99/lb. After fat I'm probably looking at more like 4.99/lb but still better than 12!!! That is high!

That's some good looking grub you got going on there. Nice use of the kettle's versatility.

Point for sure.

Chris

Thanks gmc2003 gmc2003 ! When I first got the slown 'n sear and the tiptop I thought maybe I would eventually ditch the WSM for this smaller set up. It does work well for these 300 degree + cooks but I've found that the WSM is superior when it comes closer to 200 degrees. The best answer of course is to have one of everything!! haha!!

Looks real good, especially that fatty. Wife not a big olive fan though. What else do you stuff with?

I have a tri tip waiting to be smoked. It will be my first. What is your typical goal for IT? Any special marinade you like?

Love the pics.

Hey SmokinGame SmokinGame ! You know, honestly, I think you can stuff a fatty with anything you like. Most I've seen are actually breakfast oriented and use breakfast sausage, so breakfast type stuffin' there. I saw a pic on this site of one where a guy had inserted some hardboiled eggs and he had a chunk with a perfect bisection of egg and it was a thing of beauty.

For tritip (I actually rub, not marinade...that was a typo) and other steaks the ticket in my opinion is to salt the meat like a day before you rub and when you make a rub do not put any salt in it. That way you can get the salt (dry brine) perfect everytime and still exercise some judgement in how much rub you want to apply without worrying about over or under salting. My rubs tend to be mostly garlic, some paprika, some ground black pepper, some dried onion bits (they contribute to great bark IMO), and some dried mustard. I also like a lot of sugar on my pork shoulders but none on my beef.

Everything looking fantastic here! Going to try all 3 of these soon. Haven't got around to any of these yet!

Good times hagewood91 hagewood91 ! Fire it up! Making the bacon weave alone will bring you some satisfaction!

You are more than welcome to send any overdone tri tips my way. Everything looks great.

I'll keep that in mind oddegan oddegan . This time it is going to meet its end in some strange tacos.

Wow that looks awesome. I'm sitting here at work looking at it and my mouth is watering uncontrollably
Nice jobs. Points for that cook

HAHA! Made me lol here Phil!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky