• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

tri tip

hightower11

Joined Jul 18, 2005
Exactly what is tri tip and exactly what do I ask for when I go to the butcher.

Thanks in advance

Dutch

Smoking Guru
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
OTBS Admin
Group Lead
Joined Jul 7, 2005
Hightower, the tri-tip comes off the bottom of the sirloin. Way back when I was cutting meat, this was usually cut into cubes for beef stew or ground into hamburger as there is only two tri-tip strips per beef. Markets now get boxed beef and so the tri-tip is now more common. Back in my day, we had to "break down" the front and rear quarters of beef.

Here in the lower 48 the tri-tip is marketed as tri-tip or as a triangle roast.

TulsaJeff

Smoke Whisperer
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
Joined Jun 28, 2005
Tri tip is a cut of meat from the bottom sirloin area.. it is also known as "triangular roast" and it is boneless, extremely tender and full of flavor.

Lots of people use it for stir fry or on skewers but it works great in the smoker as well.

TulsaJeff

Smoke Whisperer
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
Joined Jun 28, 2005
Earl.. I guess great minds think alike. We posted at almost the same time :lol:

Dutch

Smoking Guru
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
OTBS Admin
Group Lead
Joined Jul 7, 2005
Jeff, Yep that what I always say. . ."GREAT minds do think alike!" Good to be in such good company!!! :) :) :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.