Tri-tip!!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

normanaj

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Feb 2, 2014
Rhode Island
So I'm in the grocery store this morning and I'm rifling thru the meats and low and behold there it is...Tri-tip!Unless you buy a whole cow tri-tip around these parts is pretty rare.

Last night I did a porterhouse in the MES with nothing but a light dusting of spog and it came out so good I think I'm going to do the same with the tri-tip.

SPOG is all you need. Cook it to medium rare and then a quick sear and it's one of the best cuts around.

Nice . Never saw one around here ,,, yesterday I went to look at brisket , and they had a tri-tip . Just one , but that's the only one I ever saw in person .
Be watching for the cook .

I had never heard of them in Midwest....moved to west coast and baam it’s everywhere! I don’t understand why it isn’t more places....easy to cook, minimal trimming, no waste....and tastes fantastic.

I will say no restaurant Tri tip has come even close to cooking at home. I haven’t figured out that part....

What do you guys pay for one? It's $6.99 per pound in Denver. My local grocery store always has them, although if you keep an eye open, it will be on sale in the "grey meat" section where they discount the meat that is approaching the sell by date.

Tri Tip is the best. Reverse sear on the grill with just salt and pepper or a Santa Maria rub.
Aug tri tip 3.JPG

Aug tri tip 4.JPG

Reactions: drdon
Sadly prime is usually 8-10 bucks a pound around me. Usually 2 roasts are around 4 pounds and between 32-40 dollars but again still cheaper than most steak here. Meat is high priced.

Smoker's packed between now and tommorow afternoon.Monday's the game plan if the weather doesn't screw me...rain date is following Saturday.This will be second overall tri-tip but first on the smoker.

Compared to brisket Tri tip is a dream....no cutting half of it off, no 12-14 hour burning of 20 dollars of pellets....hour and half and done.

Absolutely plan on getting back to this but I'm dealing with neck/back issues and outside of work I haven't been doing much. I WILL post results when I'm able to get around to smoking this.

Last edited:
I've never seen one in person, but they always look Great!!
The Pics of one sliced often look like when I Smoke a Beef Tenderloin.

Take care of that Back, Norm!!

Bear

I've never seen one in person, but they always look Great!!
The Pics of one sliced often look like when I Smoke a Beef Tenderloin.

Take care of that Back, Norm!!

Bear
Bear, I had a friend bring me back 8 tri-tips from costco in CA. I smoked a two a week ago with a quick reverse sear and everyone went nuts. She is going back to CA in October and I will take what ever she can get for me. Talk to a butcher and see if they can get it for you...I can only imagine how good it would be in your hands!

Reactions: Bearcarver
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky