Tri Tip

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jlud

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Mar 16, 2019
I’m new to the west coast and this particular cut. Got two prime ones for tomorrow as some company coming over. I plan to use cattleman’s grill California Tri Tip seasoning, putting it on about an hour before the smoker. Plan to put it at 225 until about 140ish or medium rare temp....

Anything missing or that I need to do differently? Anything special to prep other than right out of package and season? Thanks!

That should be fine. Some prefer the reverse sear where you finish over high heat to get a crust on that joker. What are you cooking on?

You could reverse sear it, but I'm actually not a fan of the way it creates a contrast between the outer 1/4 inch or more and the rest of it. If I want a good seared steak then I'll fire up the grill and grill it.

Some people inject, but you can do either or. Depending on how much smoke you want, you can start your temperatures much lower (140º-150º range) and then bump it up in increments throughout the smoke to give it more time in the sauna.

This is another preference thing, but I like mine sliced real thin when it's done.

Doing it on the Yoder 640. Good info on reverse sear and keeping it lower longer, think I’ll keep it simple for company’s sake in case I destroy it somehow...I’ll go maybe 200 range for a while then to get some more flavor. Thanks!

Make sure to slice it right, there are good youtube vids for it, there's 3 (at least) different directions you need to cut. Good luck, very tasty piece o meat!

Great suggestion on the leftovers and thin slicing....especially the horseradish. Sounded good...

Nice John, have you though about trying to grill T.T. over some lump coal? That would kick it up a few more notches, nothing like T.T. grilled over Royal Oak in my opinion.
I used to grill 200 T.T. for the Clayton Round up BBQ we used Royal Oak lump coal over redneck Santa Maria grills which were 55 gallon drums split in half similar to these grill and man you oak wood and beer mop took them to a whole other level.

FD50C22A-EB6F-4663-BEE8-A7152B7467F7.jpeg
The beginning....

Reactions: forktender
Thanks Preacher. I will do this cook again and preferred to brisket. At 10.00 a pound its steep but no waste and easy to come off perfect! Char hickory lumber jack pellets gave it a perfect flavor. 10 out of 10 cook!

There is no leftover....it’s all gone...zero waste. Thing I sold a couple pellet smokers based on feedback!

Thanks Preacher. I will do this cook again and preferred to brisket. At 10.00 a pound its steep but no waste and easy to come off perfect! Char hickory lumber jack pellets gave it a perfect flavor. 10 out of 10 cook!
Damn, that looks great!!!:emoji_astonished::emoji_astonished::emoji_astonished:

I hate to rub it in but, Saturday I picked up 14lbs of untrimmed tri tip/California brisket for $2.89 per pound. I'll buy 14 more pounds to grind up for T.T. burgers, they are cheaper than good ground beef out here when they are on sale. I actually get tired of eating them by the end of summer, I like cooking them over Royal Oak hot and fast to 132* to 140* depending on who I'm cooking for. Ya gotta stay on the thongs thought turning them constantly or they will burn.
Beer in hand to keep the flare up's down they turn out awesome.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky