I'm Never Doing Another Tri-Tip in My MES because ...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

johnmeyer

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Nov 19, 2015
Central Coast, CA
[edit]Here is a link to a more recent cook where I remembered to take photos:

My Best Tri-Tip Yet

I've done a lot of tri-tip in my MES 30", and it has turned out really well. It is one of my favorite things to smoke.

However, I thought I could get an even better result by converting my Weber Genesis grill into a smoker, and using its rotisserie (I've done this before with chicken). Well, having now tried this, all I can say is, wow! The results were absolutely spectacular. Much better than the MES.

I could kick myself for not taking some pics, because the meat was absolutely gorgeous. Sorry about that.

Here is a quick summary of what I did.

1. I bought the dual tri-tip package at Costco. I got the choice cut, not prime.

2. I arranged the two tri-tips end-to-end, so together they looked like one uniform piece of meat. (For those not familiar with tri-tip, it is somewhat triangular-shaped, with a very long, thin "tail.") This ensured that all of the meat would get done to the same degree, at the same point in time.

3. I ran the rotisserie skewer through the two cuts of meat.

4. I used twine to secure the two pieces together, and then finished securing the beef to the rotisserie.

5. I applied yellow mustard, and then used Trader Joe coffee rub that someone gave me a few years ago. I let the meat stand for half an hour to let the rub do its thing. (BTW, this rub worked really well for tri-tip).

6. I soaked some hickory chips and then loaded them into the Weber smoking tray. I put aluminum foil on the top of the smoke tray and poked some holes into it.

7. I cooked the meat on the rotisserie for about 100 minutes, using just one of the three burners on my old Weber. I tried to maintain the heat between 300 and 325.

8. The smoke from the Weber smoke tray ran out after about 45 minutes. Rather than refill, I lit my AMNPS, with hickory pellets, and placed it in the Weber grill grease trap. I have done this before, and showed what it looks like in this thread: Rotisserie Smoked Chicken.

9. When the meat got to an IT of 135, I brought the meat inside, removed it from the rotisserie, and let it rest for about fifteen minutes before carving it into thin slices.

After dinner, I put the meat in the fridge for an hour to firm it up, and then used my Chef's Choice slicer to thinly slice all of the remaining meat. I split that sliced meat into five portions, each around 9.5 ounces (perfect for a serving apiece for my wife and me). I added a few drops of the juice that accumulated while the meat rested. I froze the meat in each package, and when the meat was half frozen, I vacuum-packed each bag (I have a Foodsaver, and it doesn't work well if there is a lot of runny juice in with the meat).

Finally, I used the mandolin to thinly slice an onion, and then sauted it with some butter, salt, and pepper in a CI skillet until the onion slices were dark brown. I served on a sandwich roll, using my sour cream/horseradish/mayo sauce that I've posted before.

Best tri-tip I've ever had!

And, I have five more meals ready to go.

Last edited:
I missed the part with your address! I have some Southwest miles and Uber credits once I land!

Sounds Stellar, I’m in!

Pat

Most don't know this but the Tri Tip was "invented" in my area (Santa Maria,CA) and it was originally done over an open oak pit in rotisserie fashion. A long rod that squired the meats and rotated over the open oak for about an hour. I still do my tri tip over open pit, but I dont do rotisserie, been tempted to though!

Just a heads up that Safeway/Albertson's is having a sale on try tip on Friday the 18th only. $5 per lbs.

Did my first TT a couple of months ago and it was excellent. This and a beef brisket packer I smoked up last year were my best smokes on beef so far.

Just a heads up that Safeway/Albertson's is having a sale on try tip on Friday the 18th only. $5 per lbs.

Did my first TT a couple of months ago and it was excellent. This and a beef brisket packer I smoked up last year were my best smokes on beef so far.
Tri-tip is my favorite smoke as well, not only because it tastes so good, but because it is a relatively quick cook, and quite predictable. I love pulled pork as well, but it is a pig-in-a-poke trying to figure out when dinner will be served.

I did another pair of tri-tips, but this time took pictures.

I started with two choice tri-tips from Costco. I used Jeff's Texas rub and let them sit in the fridge for several hours:

Tri-Tip_01.jpg

Next, I put them on the rotisserie spit so they matched up. The skewers probably would keep everything in place, but just to make sure, I tied them in three places.

Tri-Tip_02.jpg

I used both the smoke box you see as well as the AMNPS located in the drip tray. I cooked for 1.5 hours at 300 degrees and then set the grill to the lowest setting and just let it absorb smoke for another half hour.

This was the result:

Tri-Tip_04.jpg

The finish temp was 138 degrees. This is what it looked like inside (the holes are from the rotisserie skewer and holder):
Tri-Tip_05.jpg

I then cooled it and sliced it on my Chefs 615 slicer. I grilled onions in my CI skillet, using butter, salt, and pepper. I used my tri-tip sauce that I've posted before (horseradish, sour cream, mayo, salt, garlic, and lemon). Here is one sandwich with the meat, spread, and onions:

Tri-Tip_06.jpg

Finally, I sliced all the remaining meat.

Tri-Tip_07.jpg

and used my scale to divide it into four more meals.

Tri-Tip_08.jpg

I'll put these into 125 degree water to thaw and heat, and then do the same thing (onions and sauce) for the next four meals.

Attachments

• Tri-Tip_03.jpg
    Tri-Tip_03.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 4
Reactions: browneyesvictim
Looks really good, I like shaved meat for sammies.

Chris

Looks like slices of pure perfection to me John! Im going to have to try that tri-tip sauce with grilled onions. That got me drooling!

Looks like slices of pure perfection to me John! Im going to have to try that tri-tip sauce with grilled onions. That got me drooling!
I think I posted the tri-tip sauce recipe I developed, but I couldn't find that post. So, here it is again:

Horseradish sauce for tri-tip
½ cup prepared hot horseradish
½ cup sour cream
½ cup mayonnaise
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon minced garlic
½ teaspoon kosher salt

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky