Tri-Tip tips

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokininidaho

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Nov 11, 2011
N. Idaho
Believe it or not will be trying my first tri-tip smoke tomorrow. Need a little advice or a good recipe or the best way to do it.

If you can - do a reverse sear. SPOG, or a good salt based rub for beef. Smokeit as low as you can - on my pellet thats 180 to a temp close to where you like your beef. I like it pretty rare/medium rare so i stop the smoke about 110-120. then I fire up the gasser to 450 and sear fast on both side to about 130 and let it rest.

the temps are more about the doneness you are shooing for when done. a TT is thin on the ends and thick in the middle so there is a lot of flex in the temps.

Hope you love the TT - Post pics!

Looking back at some of your earlier posts I see you will be using a WSM? Is that correct? Perfect! I do them in my mini WSM and couldn't expect them done any better!

First question is "to trim or not to trim" a tri-tip. I go somewhere in the middle.
Seasoning: There are no rules. Use what you like. Simple SPOG or Montreal perhaps?
Just season the thing up and go get your smoker going and up to temp. I take the diffuser out for tri-tips. This way there is no need for a reverse sear step but you can do that if you want. Use a couple golf ball sized wood chunks flavor of choice. Lately I've been using Lazari mesquite lump with no other wood chunks. I cruise right at 300' through the whole smoke until internal temp hits about 132'. Wrap, rest. Slicing a tri-tip can be a bit deceiving to figure out which way to cut against the grain. There are diagrams around here somewhere..... Let me see if I can find and reference it.

If you have a rotisserie... then forget everything I said and spin that sucker!!!!

I usually just marinate a tri tip overnight in the fridge with 3/4 cup Lea and Perrins Orginal Marinade and 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce.
You could do a full on overnight teriyaki marinade.
You could just use some SPOG or use the classic Santa Maria seasonings.

As for smoking the Tri Tip shoot for between 225-240 on the smoker temp and and a finish IT at around 135ish. You can go a little higher on on the IT to maybe 140ish but I would not go much higher. This is if you are not going to do a reverse sear on the grill.
If you do a reverse sear then smoke the Tri Tip to 120ish and then drop in on a screaming hot grill.
Here again do not go too high on the finish IT.

Reactions: smokininidaho
Love tri tips, fast and easy. I use Malcom Reed's first tri tip video instructions and it works great. I just did mine the other day using prime tri tip, seasoned them and indirectly cooked them on my gas grill using Cookinpellet perfect mix in a Amazen tube at 275 degree for 90 minutes. Pulled them when the IT was 135 and reverse seared on both sides for 3 minutes total and let them rest for 10 minutes.

Attachments

• IMG-20190914-WA0004.jpg
    IMG-20190914-WA0004.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 53
mmmm...might fire up the rotisserie over the gasser on low with a amazen tube for smoke...If I can keep temp to 180 wonder how long a 2.5 pounder might take?

It takes about 45 minutes to one hour if I maintain 300' at spit level. This gives me the perfect char I want without a searing step. As you can see the probes peeking over the edge... and I don't use a lid either. They seem to be more tender this way too than low and slow with a reverse sear.

By my experience it will be undercooked in the middle and excessive char on the outside if you do it that way. But it is really like a big steak. Its just too thick to cook like a steak. You need to slow down the cook by doing more indirect heat to let it cook through, but not like a bigger roast like a prime rib.

By my experience it will be undercooked in the middle and excessive char on the outside if you do it that way. But it is really like a big steak. Its just too thick to cook like a steak. You need to slow down the cook by doing more indirect heat to let it cook through, but not like a bigger roast like a prime rib.[/QUOTE
Got it! I grill huge 12 oz filets all the time. No butterfly for me. I grill indirect for a while then directly over the fire. Works everytime.

Just keep in mind a tri-tip is not uniform in thickness like a steak. It is tapered. So, you will get a well done where it is thin when the rest is perfect medium rare when you go too fast.

smokininidaho smokininidaho
Check out my recipe index for some Tri-tip ideas.
My preference is to marinade or dry brine, smoke and reverse sear.

Hawging It Hawging It
I've cooked them just like a big London Broil.
Marinade or dry brine and then grill over high heat till med-rare.
Get a real nice sear/char on them, nice crunchy edges.

No such thing as too much sear or char if done right.
I used to order my steaks Texas Style, charred on the outside and Mooing on the inside.
And I mean charred too, need a damned hot, forge like fire to do it right.

Last edited:
smokininidaho smokininidaho
Check out my recipe index for some Tri-tip ideas.
My preference is to marinade or dry brine, smoke and reverse sear.

Hawging It Hawging It
I've cooked them just like a big London or drBroil.
Marinade or dry brine and then grill over high heat till med-rare.
Get a real nice sear/char on them, nice crunchy edges.

No such thing as too much sear or char if done right.
I used to order my steaks Texas Style, charred on the outside and Mooing on the inside.
And I mean charred too, need a damned hot, forge like fire to do it right.
Thanks buddy!

If you can - do a reverse sear. SPOG, or a good salt based rub for beef. Smokeit as low as you can - on my pellet thats 180 to a temp close to where you like your beef. I like it pretty rare/medium rare so i stop the smoke about 110-120. then I fire up the gasser to 450 and sear fast on both side to about 130 and let it rest.

the temps are more about the doneness you are shooing for when done. a TT is thin on the ends and thick in the middle so there is a lot of flex in the temps.

Hope you love the TT - Post pics!
Thanks for all the great ideas! Think I'll use SPOG and a touch of celery seed for my rub. Go low and slow 225 or so to 120 degrees and then reverse sear on my charcoal grill. I like my beef medium rare, wife likes her's well done so I guess she'll be having her favorite baby back ribs because I refuse to destroy a nice cut of beef, lol. I rarely use my smokey mountain anymore, I've been using an Akorn Kamado I purchased last year with the tip top temp control unit. It uses much less lump per use, holds temp better and longer than my WSM, great for overnight smokes like brisket and shoulders and better in cold weather. Also use this K5 kamado that I've been restoring.

kamadok5.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
I like my beef medium rare, wife likes her's well done

this is something the TT can help with - the ends and smaller and thinner and tend to be more done. My wife like it hardly pink so she gets the ends, I like it more med rare so I get teh middle.

Definitely look at a carving guide if this is your first! the grain goes in two directions.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky