Tri-Tip & Thighs on the Yoder W/ (Q-View)

Discussion in 'Beef' started by bigkvn1, Feb 7, 2011.

1. bigkvn1

bigkvn1 Fire Starter

It's been a week or two since the last smoke, so I decided to put some heat in the offset Yoder.  Just a quickie....  Pulled a frozen,  trimmed tri-tip, and some chicken thighs out of the freezer on short notice.  Lit a chimney of Royal Oak, and started the box w splits of almond for the cook.  Rubbed the tri-tip with mustard and added the seasoning.  Pulled the skin on the chicken, seasoned, reapplied, and seasoned some more.   [​IMG]             

2. bigkvn1

bigkvn1 Fire Starter

[​IMG]

3. adiochiro3

adiochiro3 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Looks like a good start!  Can't wait to see the finished product.

4. scarbelly

scarbelly Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Looking good - lets see the finished product

5. bigkvn1

bigkvn1 Fire Starter

Pulled the Tri-Tip at 143 internal.  Wrapped it in foil, and placed it in a cooler w/ a few towels.  It was in the pit at 220-225 degrees for about 2hrs.  Upped the pit temp to 355-400, and put on the chicken...  till around 160.[​IMG]    

6. bigkvn1

bigkvn1 Fire Starter

[​IMG]

7. bigkvn1

bigkvn1 Fire Starter

[​IMG]

8. bigkvn1

bigkvn1 Fire Starter

[​IMG]

9. fpnmf

fpnmf Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Fl
    Looks delicious!

Craig

10. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Everything looks delicious. Nice job!

11. porked

porked Smoking Fanatic

Excellent looking smoke! That tri-tip looks to die for.

12. el ropo

el ropo Newbie

The tri tip looks wonderful, but I can't help wondering how great it would taste if you had NOT trimmed the fat, and pulled it at 130, then tented for 15-30 minutes to allow it to come up to 140 naturally.  That is one cut of meat that shines at medium rare.  Pulling at 143 is a tad too high for my liking, but I've been cooking the tips for over 20 years.

There should be a huge pool of juice on that cutting board, even if it was a select cut.

13. tyotrain

tyotrain Master of the Pit

Thats some great looking Q you have there.. real nice job.[​IMG]

14. cycletrash

cycletrash Meat Mopper

Looks good enough to eat to me!!

15. raptor700

raptor700 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Great job on the Tri-Tip, The color is AWESOME! [​IMG]

Thanks for sharing

16. mballi3011

mballi3011 Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

[​IMG]

Now your tri-tip looks awesome and I could only wish we could get some of that out here on the east coast.

17. bigkvn1

bigkvn1 Fire Starter

I would typically use a fresh, (not previously frozen), untrimmed tritip for a good smoke.  Also, one a little larger than this.  We keep a fair amount of meat in the freezer because the wife and I cook full dinners every night.  The trimmed, frozen stuff just usually goes on the grill.  This was just a spur of the moment cook out for us two, so we didnt go to the butcher.  The trimmed and frozen just dont yield the juice we are all are acustomed to in my experience.  Also, keep in mind that bad boy had to sit in the cooler while I added logs to the fire to bring the smoker temp up for the chicken cook.  Another hour or so...         

18. rbranstner

rbranstner Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Man that tri tip looks so good. I wish I could get them around here for a reasonable price. 

19. bigkvn1

bigkvn1 Fire Starter

Time for the left overs!  Enjoy....

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 10, 2011
  20. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Nice job Kevin!