Tri-Tip & Thighs on the Yoder W/ (Q-View)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bigkvn1

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 11, 2011
California
It's been a week or two since the last smoke, so I decided to put some heat in the offset Yoder.  Just a quickie....  Pulled a frozen,  trimmed tri-tip, and some chicken thighs out of the freezer on short notice.  Lit a chimney of Royal Oak, and started the box w splits of almond for the cook.  Rubbed the tri-tip with mustard and added the seasoning.  Pulled the skin on the chicken, seasoned, reapplied, and seasoned some more.   
560135a5_dinnerI.png

Pulled the Tri-Tip at 143 internal.  Wrapped it in foil, and placed it in a cooler w/ a few towels.  It was in the pit at 220-225 degrees for about 2hrs.  Upped the pit temp to 355-400, and put on the chicken...  till around 160.
c86cd6e2_tritip.png

The tri tip looks wonderful, but I can't help wondering how great it would taste if you had NOT trimmed the fat, and pulled it at 130, then tented for 15-30 minutes to allow it to come up to 140 naturally.  That is one cut of meat that shines at medium rare.  Pulling at 143 is a tad too high for my liking, but I've been cooking the tips for over 20 years.

There should be a huge pool of juice on that cutting board, even if it was a select cut.

icon_cool.gif

Now your tri-tip looks awesome and I could only wish we could get some of that out here on the east coast.

The tri tip looks wonderful, but I can't help wondering how great it would taste if you had NOT trimmed the fat, and pulled it at 130, then tented for 15-30 minutes to allow it to come up to 140 naturally.  That is one cut of meat that shines at medium rare.  Pulling at 143 is a tad too high for my liking, but I've been cooking the tips for over 20 years.

There should be a huge pool of juice on that cutting board, even if it was a select cut.
I would typically use a fresh, (not previously frozen), untrimmed tritip for a good smoke.  Also, one a little larger than this.  We keep a fair amount of meat in the freezer because the wife and I cook full dinners every night.  The trimmed, frozen stuff just usually goes on the grill.  This was just a spur of the moment cook out for us two, so we didnt go to the butcher.  The trimmed and frozen just dont yield the juice we are all are acustomed to in my experience.  Also, keep in mind that bad boy had to sit in the cooler while I added logs to the fire to bring the smoker temp up for the chicken cook.  Another hour or so...         

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky