Tri-tip Carne Asada

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Great Job Chili, now I need to thaw some meat. It’s $5-10 per pound at my store so don’t feel too bad

Damn Chile! If I could cook like that, why hell, my wife might even like me!
Looks FANTASTIC! Huge LIKE!

I can only wish I could buy something like that and not feel like I'm robbing the Grand-kids out of sticking around longer.
But yeah, there is still lots of Tri-Tip to be had here, my Friend.
Odd how availability varies around the Country on things we like. What the heck are they doing with those cuts of beef?
Grinding them up? Selling them as Po Man's steaks?
Cow's in 'Bama ain't that different than cows elsewhere, are they? (Well, except for California Cows. They don't know which bathroom to use.)
Glad you got some finally. And I still wish I could do the meat Justice the way you can.

Damn Chile! If I could cook like that, why hell, my wife might even like me!
Looks FANTASTIC! Huge LIKE!

I can only wish I could buy something like that and not feel like I'm robbing the Grand-kids out of sticking around longer.
But yeah, there is still lots of Tri-Tip to be had here, my Friend.
Odd how availability varies around the Country on things we like. What the heck are they doing with those cuts of beef?
Grinding them up? Selling them as Po Man's steaks?
Cow's in 'Bama ain't that different than cows elsewhere, are they? (Well, except for California Cows. They don't know which bathroom to use.)
Glad you got some finally. And I still wish I could do the meat Justice the way you can.
Thank you.
Yes, in many cases they're grinding up a lot of good cuts of meat, that or cutting it into something else.
All these so-called new cuts of steak are often taken from less expensive cuts and BAM! Added value as a steak.

Reactions: SonnyE
Added value as a steak.

Not sure I would call it "Value"...
Now if you had said added "Profit"....

My Sam's Club now has Pork Bellies two ways, Whole, or cut into strips.
I think a certain faction of the population here now likes strips of Pork Belly for some recipes.
I prefer the slab and the freedom to make up my own pea brain.

Value = Profit

Cracks me up when I see "Family Sized", then notice it is some cents more expensive than buying smaller sizes and multiple boxes.
Screwing those who don't pay attention to the price, just the quantity.
I have to wonder what they would call the "steaks" cut from a Tri-Tip. Something sexy I'd imagine, making the shopper thing they were getting something special.

Found this:
"What's another name for tri tip?
First, there are only two per cow, so it is not all that common. Second, it goes by so many (often incorrect) names — California cut, Newport steak, sirloin tip, sirloin butt, culotte, bottom sirloin, top sirloin and more — that it's sometimes a bit of work just to make it clear what you want. Jan 8, 2010"

Another reference.
New York calls it a Newport Steak.

Damn Marketing. It's like fake news, facts don't matter, write a story....

So maybe they just call the Tri-Tip by a different name there in 'Bama?
Only two per beeeve. I can see why it might be hard to find. Saint Louis is exporting them to New York for the inflated price.

Chile—what temp do you smoke you tri-tips on?
When I'm smoking for flavor before grilling, and need to keep the meat in for a couple of hours without the IT getting above 100°-115°....
It's as low as it can go and still burn wood, for my Smoke Vault that's about 200°.
I have to crank it up on high to get the chunks going, and then lower the flame and adjust.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky