Ugliest Plate Ever W/ Beautiful Potato & Bacon Dome (Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Don't look ugly to me Robert! Awesome job buddy! I'd eat that in a heart beat!
Thanks buddy. I appreciate it. I just had high expectations of the visual for this one and I failed in every aspect. Was still a very good meal though.
"Soul Food ain't suppose to be pretty for the eyes...." -Legendary New Orleans Creole Soul Food Queen Chef Leah Chase
Too cool. I've heard of her but never heard that quote before. I'll need to remember that next time I destroy a meal :emoji_wink:

Robert

Reactions: indaswamp
You're crazy! That looks ...... stunning, I would be happy as (insert your choice of word) to sit down to that!
You are far too kind Dave but thank you. FWIW, I have all sorts of descriptors in my vocabulary that would fit right into that space you left open :emoji_laughing:

Robert

• Haha
Reactions: Flatrate
Looks great to me Robert , and thanks for the compliments
Thank you for the compliment, the like, and sharing yet another amazing dish for us to replicate and enjoy. That was way over the top good!! Scary part is that I'm not thinking of derivatives of the bacon dome concept for potato dishes and that could be dangerous :emoji_wink:
Nice dig about the gravy... thanks my brother from another mother
Yes sir, we very well could be brothers, that's for sure. Been a ton of fun recently bantering back and forth with the gravy. Now we just need to get Ryan ( Brokenhandle Brokenhandle ) involved and it'd be a full-blown fiasco.

Robert

• Haha
Reactions: DRKsmoking
We are our worst critics! I personally see nothing at all wrong with that meal. I’d be honored to sit down to that any day!
Thanks so much Jim. You do have a way of reining me in when I fall well short of my expectations and I thank you for that also. your perspective on things is always nice to hear.

Robert

Reactions: JLeonard
Robert, I think you could make a plain ole ham sammich look gourmet. And I love reading your write ups.

Jim

Thank you for the compliment, the like, and sharing yet another amazing dish for us to replicate and enjoy. That was way over the top good!! Scary part is that I'm not thinking of derivatives of the bacon dome concept for potato dishes and that could be dangerous :emoji_wink:

Yes sir, we very well could be brothers, that's for sure. Been a ton of fun recently bantering back and forth with the gravy. Now we just need to get Ryan ( Brokenhandle Brokenhandle ) involved and it'd be a full-blown fiasco.

Robert
:emoji_blush: :emoji_innocent:
Good thing I just polished my halo!

Ryan

• Haha
Reactions: DRKsmoking

Robert

You know me I love me some potatoes, wait till you see what I found for a nice little potato dish, sort of . Coming soon to a table near me .

All fun and games until some one knocks over the gravy dish.

I did not know the Ryan likes gravy.... lol

David

• Haha
Reactions: Brokenhandle
Our good friend David ( DRKsmoking DRKsmoking ) had to go and post that incredible looking potato and bacon dome again. I just had to run it being a tried and true potato lover. I believe mine was on a smaller scale than his but tried to maintain the concept. The only question was what I planned to serve with it. Dug through the main freezer and decided on braised beef tenderloin tips with onions and peppers in a light sauce. Little did I know at the time this would be the ugliest plate I've ever posted here but it was also VERY good so thought I'd share. Presentation missed the mark by a mile but flavor profile exceeded my every expectation.

Start out with some celery, jalapenos, smoked paprika, crushed red pepper, black pepper a dollop of butter. This will get mixed into the potato mixture.
View attachment 669295

Potatoes, the veggies, and extra sharp cheddar into a bowl.
View attachment 669296

Mix all that up and create one God awful looking mess.
View attachment 669297

A pack of my homemade pepper crusted bacon for the weave.
View attachment 669298

Make the bacon weave, get it in the bowl, and pack the taters in. Then flip the ends of the bacon over.
View attachment 669299

Cover with foil and onto the grill for an hour.
View attachment 669300

The tenderloin tips.
View attachment 669301

Into a skillet with red and green bell pepper, onions, paprika, minced garlic, black pepper, a dollop of BTB beef base, and a splash of beef broth. At this point things really start getting ugly.
View attachment 669302

After an hour on the grill, time to get the potato & bacon dome out of the pan. There was a LOT of grease but I tried cleaning up as much as I could. Time to go back on the grill to crisp up the bacon.
View attachment 669303

Another 20 minutes or so, the bacon is looking pretty good. Two pics.
View attachment 669304
View attachment 669305

Ugly personified.
View attachment 669306

Yes David, I actually made gravy....unlike some people :emoji_laughing: (Sorry, I just had to)
View attachment 669307

Bacon dome sliced.
View attachment 669308

Now for the coup de grace: ugliest plate ever posted in SMF. Served with a nice garden salad.
View attachment 669309

Close up. Try not to cringe.
View attachment 669310

So...it was ugly as homemade sin but the flavors were outstanding. A really, really good dinner if you can get past the visual aspect. The potato and bacon dome was absolutely incredible. Far and again the best potato dish I've ever done. A couple things to note however. I either had the potatoes a bit too dry, didn't get them packed in tight enough, or a combination of both. They wanted to crumble when I was slicing it and was very difficult to get a nice pie-shaped slice. Mine cratered but Tracy got a nice looking slice. The beef tips were outstanding. Super tender and flavor well beyond what I'd hoped for. All in all, a very tasty dinner. The only reason this one is getting posted is to give David credit for showcasing an amazing dish that hopefully others will embrace. Trust me, it's well worth it!!

This one is a wrap. Got to get Sunday breakfast going for my lovely bride. Y'all have a great holiday weekend. Stay safe, be happy, and let's get those rib entries in!!

Robert
Looked pretty good to me Robert! Then again, if it tasted outstanding, who cares how it looked as I'm sure you weren't looking at it too long before it was completely devoured!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky