(not)Tri Tip X 2

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
the local meat cutter but they do things a bit different. They are definitely not the signature shape that is tri tip.
I had to read this twice...I was thinking those dont really look like a “normal” tri tip. Look great tho

Reactions: Ringer
Ok here goes round 2. I took Jake's advice and went with some tacos. I'm definitely blurring the al pastor lines by using beef but we love pineapple. I'll post up the entire meal when finished but here is what I've got so far. I usually make my own seasoning for these but I got lazy and just used the McCormick street taco asada seasoning and juiced a lime and half an orange. I pulded the meat up in the ninja to get it into smaller pieces. Added the juice and seasoning, chopped some fresh pineapple and gave it all a stir. Its marinating now and I plan to finish it in the Griswold.View attachment 630778
That's gonna be delicious

Reactions: Ringer
Definitely bottom sirloin. See pics below of the botton sirloin (exactly matches yours) and a tri tip.

Still, great smoke!

Botton sirloin:
Bottom Sirloin_185_DSC_2037.jpeg

Tri tip:

Tri-Tip_Denuded.jpeg

Reactions: sandyut and Ringer
It looks tasty as heck to me! And no matter what cut of meat it was...I wouldn't be able to respond...as I just stuffed another piece in my mouth! :emoji_blush:

Great job!
Ryan

It looks tasty as heck to me! And no matter what cut of meat it was...I wouldn't be able to respond...as I just stuffed another piece in my mouth! :emoji_blush:

Great job!
Ryan
Thanks Ryan! It was definitely something I would try again, especially if I was short handed on tri tip. I'm still snacking on that street corn though.

My concern, maybe I’m over thinking this one, is that you had a meat shop sell you something that under possible false pretenses.. I’ve been doing meat for over 30 years, I’d be very unhappy if that happened to me.

My concern, maybe I’m over thinking this one, is that you had a meat shop sell you something that under possible false pretenses.. I’ve been doing meat for over 30 years, I’d be very unhappy if that happened to me.
Agreed, I'm in an area where tri tip is not popular. That doesn't excuse the butcher from what happened but it was likely just lack of experience/knowledge. Publix is usually my go to for tri tip.

Well, over the past few weeks all of the tri tip cooks made me realize its been far too long since i've enjoyed one. So I got 2 (not tri tips after all)! Publix was out this time, so I headed to the local meat cutter but they do things a bit different. They are definitely not the signature shape that is tri tip. I did ask them to leave the fat cap on and I really like them this way. Reminds me of picahna.(because it probably was)
View attachment 630589

While these were smoking at 225 over cherry I got the urge for some stuffed mushrooms. I used some cream cheese, mixed in a few cloves of crushed garlic, shredded pepper jack (1 block), fresh basil, 1/4 cup panko, and 12 medium portabellas. Mixed it all up, seasoned, then topped with some additional panko.

View attachment 630602

View attachment 630603

Once the tri tip hit 115 internal (~2 hours), I pulled them off, stoked and refueled the fire. I kept one side screaming hot and the other side fireless. This is all on the pit boss ceramic acorn by the way. I put the (not)tri tip on the fire side and the shrooms on the fireless side. The fatless side of the tri tip went for 4 minutes, the fat cap side went for 3.5. This yielded a nice rare to med rare in some places. I left the shrooms on for 10 minutes while the (not)tri tip rested. I got a pot of water going since its fresh and Mrs. Ringer loves corn on the cob. Boiled those for 5 minutes and hit 'em with fresh butter. Sliced up the reverse seared tri tip and plated. Here are the rest of the shots.

View attachment 630605

View attachment 630606

View attachment 630607

View attachment 630608

View attachment 630609

Ok here goes round 2. I took TNJAKE TNJAKE s advice and went with some tacos. I'm definitely blurring the al pastor lines by using beef but we love pineapple. I'll post up the entire meal when finished but here is what I've got so far. I usually make my own seasoning for these but I got lazy and just used the McCormick street taco asada seasoning and juiced a lime and half an orange. I pulded the meat up in the ninja to get it into smaller pieces. Added the juice and seasoning, chopped some fresh pineapple and gave it all a stir.

View attachment 630842

I heated up Grandpaw's old #12 Griswold, oiled it a bit and in it went

View attachment 630843

I threw together a bowl of street corn to go with it all

View attachment 630844

And the plate

View attachment 630845

It wasnt the best execution but its entirely my fault and I learned a lesson. Everyone still loved it though.
Lesson: Pineapple is enzymatic. Dont let meat sit too long in there or it will turn to over done mushy potroast. Still good, just a consistency thing.

Thanks for looking
Looks delish. love pihcana too. totally hosed my first inkbird probes on the egg by flipping cap down with lid up. big fire. only once

Looks delish. love pihcana too. totally hosed my first inkbird probes on the egg by flipping cap down with lid up. big fire. only once
Thanks! I appreciate the heads up as I do use the inkbird. I definitely could see that happening when going fat cap down. It gets crazy!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky