(not)Tri Tip X 2

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Ringer

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Sep 10, 2019
Chickamauga, GA
Well, over the past few weeks all of the tri tip cooks made me realize its been far too long since i've enjoyed one. So I got 2 (not tri tips after all)! Publix was out this time, so I headed to the local meat cutter but they do things a bit different. They are definitely not the signature shape that is tri tip. I did ask them to leave the fat cap on and I really like them this way. Reminds me of picahna.(because it probably was)
20220430_162345.jpg

While these were smoking at 225 over cherry I got the urge for some stuffed mushrooms. I used some cream cheese, mixed in a few cloves of crushed garlic, shredded pepper jack (1 block), fresh basil, 1/4 cup panko, and 12 medium portabellas. Mixed it all up, seasoned, then topped with some additional panko.

20220430_180234.jpg

20220430_181247.jpg

Once the tri tip hit 115 internal (~2 hours), I pulled them off, stoked and refueled the fire. I kept one side screaming hot and the other side fireless. This is all on the pit boss ceramic acorn by the way. I put the (not)tri tip on the fire side and the shrooms on the fireless side. The fatless side of the tri tip went for 4 minutes, the fat cap side went for 3.5. This yielded a nice rare to med rare in some places. I left the shrooms on for 10 minutes while the (not)tri tip rested. I got a pot of water going since its fresh and Mrs. Ringer loves corn on the cob. Boiled those for 5 minutes and hit 'em with fresh butter. Sliced up the reverse seared tri tip and plated. Here are the rest of the shots.

20220430_185805.jpg

20220430_184612.jpg

20220430_185814.jpg

20220430_190610.jpg

20220430_190743.jpg

Ok here goes round 2. I took TNJAKE TNJAKE s advice and went with some tacos. I'm definitely blurring the al pastor lines by using beef but we love pineapple. I'll post up the entire meal when finished but here is what I've got so far. I usually make my own seasoning for these but I got lazy and just used the McCormick street taco asada seasoning and juiced a lime and half an orange. I pulded the meat up in the ninja to get it into smaller pieces. Added the juice and seasoning, chopped some fresh pineapple and gave it all a stir.

20220502_093615.jpg

I heated up Grandpaw's old #12 Griswold, oiled it a bit and in it went

20220502_175803.jpg

I threw together a bowl of street corn to go with it all

20220502_181921.jpg

And the plate

20220502_182220.jpg

It wasnt the best execution but its entirely my fault and I learned a lesson. Everyone still loved it though.
Lesson: Pineapple is enzymatic. Dont let meat sit too long in there or it will turn to over done mushy potroast. Still good, just a consistency thing.

Thanks for looking

Last edited:
Thanks Doug, Mrs Ringer loved it all!

Thanks Jake, much appreciated sir. Hopefully I'll think of something to do with the the other one...

I'm open to suggestions
They make some pretty fantastic tacos or fajitas

• Love
Reactions: Ringer
Nice! Beautiful work! Looks so tasty! Shrooms are the perfect compliment to that cut too!

Nice! Beautiful work! Looks so tasty! Shrooms are the perfect compliment to that cut too!
Thanks Jed! They turned out way better than I imagined for just throwing a recipe up on the fly. I guess sometimes those are the best ones.

My oldest son went to prom last night, he ordered a wagyu steak at some fancy joint so I figured the rest of us deserved a nice meal...lol

Great looking meal. Nice job. I'd definitely belly up to that table.

But those aren't tri tips.

Looks like a bottom round roast cut in a triangle. Bottom round is close to the tri tip on the animal.

Last edited:
Aced that one !
Thanks! It was a fun one for sure.

Beautiful, simply a beautiful meal and perfectly cooked tri tip. Nuff said :emoji_wink:

Robert
Thanks Robert!

Oh yeah. Great job on that!
Thanks!
Great looking meal. Nice job. I'd definitely belly up to that table.

But those aren't tri tips.
Thanks!
Yeah I was a bit skeptical but when I sliced it it was almost identical. I thought it could have just been how this guy did his trimming. I figured if it was a mock tender roast it would have chewed like leather. Either way it reverse seared well.

What are these in your opinion?

Thanks!
Yeah I was a bit skeptical but when I sliced it it was almost identical. I thought it could have just been how this guy did his trimming. I figured if it was a mock tender roast it would have chewed like leather. Either way it reverse seared well.
The sirloin primal produces wonderful meat. The next door neighbor to the tri-tip is the ball-tip. It's easily confused when butchering. Maybe you got that muscle instead?

The sirloin primal produces wonderful meat. The next door neighbor to the tri-tip is the ball-tip. It's easily confused when butchering. Maybe you got that muscle instead?
Probably so, it tasted very good like tri tip and was definitely the same consistency. Not chewy at all and very much like sirloin. That makes sense.

Ok here goes round 2. I took Jake's advice and went with some tacos. I'm definitely blurring the al pastor lines by using beef but we love pineapple. I'll post up the entire meal when finished but here is what I've got so far. I usually make my own seasoning for these but I got lazy and just used the McCormick street taco asada seasoning and juiced a lime and half an orange. I pulded the meat up in the ninja to get it into smaller pieces. Added the juice and seasoning, chopped some fresh pineapple and gave it all a stir. Its marinating now and I plan to finish it in the Griswold.
20220502_093615.jpg

Pass me a few slices of that TT it looks great.

Point for sure
Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky