Tri-tip Carne Asada

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chilerelleno

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Tri-tips, finding them down here is like finding hen's :emoji_chicken: teeth.

So I've been after one of my local butcher shops to start carrying Tri-tips.
And he finally called me, "I've a 67lb case of Choice Tri-tips, buy them by the 15-20lb cryo-pack and it's $4.89lb." and, "I found a new supplier, I can order them on Weds and have them on Fri.".
So I got home and went straight over, bought a cryo-pack and a couple individually packaged too.
Ended up with eight averaging 2.5lbs, trimmed them and vacuum packed in pairs.

I'm freaking thrilled!:emoji_yum:

So for dinner tonight I've two Tri-tips soaking in a carne asada marinade.
I figure to smoke and grill them to a nice med-rare/med.
And then serve with some tortillas, mexican rice and fresh pico de gallo.

wTGxd2m.jpg

7KqSzKP.jpg

Stay tuned for dinner!

Last edited:
Sounds great!

That’s a high price for tri tips around here but If you can’t find them you have to take what you can get!

Scott

Sounds great!

That’s a high price for tri tips around here but If you can’t find them you have to take what you can get!

Scott
Back in SoCal they were dirt cheap, $2.lb or less and everywhere to be found.
He wants $5.49lb trimmed and packaged for individual sale, which was better than I was expecting to pay.
I'll happily take the discount.

Reactions: hillbillyrkstr
Tri Tip has sky rocketed in my part of California. Paid 6.99 a lb for choice at Christmas. The Prime was 8.99. This was at Costco. Unfortunately the trim them up so that comes at a premium. Funny thing though as I sorted through the primes and the choice I could not hardly see a difference in the marbling.

Dinner was a home run, family was grinning, grunting and belching.

Carne Asada'esque Marinade for 20 Hours
tfmkNIb.jpg

Then into the smoker with a mix of Hickory and Mesquite
Smoke to an IT of 115°
DM7gHmy.jpg

Then on the grill to an IT of 135°
zdpHct7.jpg

Rested and Sliced
CWcYN5i.jpg

The Money Shot!
DyarmMR.jpg

Served with Arroz Mexicana and Pico de gallo
sil6hDI.jpg

lQDdWCM.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky