Traeger Reverse Sear Steak

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

disco

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Oct 31, 2012
Canadian Rockies
It was my birthday. I had bought a prime grill trimmed rib steak. I could just fire up my Weber Genesis grill but I decided to see how my new Traeger Timberline smoker did on a reverse sear.

For those of you who don’t know what a reverse sear is, you smoke a steak at low temperature and then sear in over high heat, in this case, my Weber Grill.

I started by preheating my Traeger grill to 225 F (107 C). My Traeger Timberline has a super smoke mode to add extra smoke at low temperatures. I turned it on.

I gave the steak a good dusting with Traeger Prime Rib Rub. I put the temperature probe from the Traeger in the steak and put it in the smoker.

I used the Wifire App from Traeger to track the cook. It was about freezing and it was nice to stay warm inside while the meat cooked.

Traeger Steak 4.jpg

When the internal temperature was about 105 F (40 C), I fired up the Weber and turned the burners on high.

It took about an hour for the internal temperature in the steak to get to 120 F (49 C). I took the steak off and put it on the Weber grill.

Traeger Steak 1.jpg

I gave it a couple of minutes a side to get the internal temperature to 130 F (54 C), just the way I like it. I took the steak in and let it sit for 5 minutes and dove in!

Traeger Steak 2.jpg

We served it with bacon wrapped potatoes, one of She Who Must Be Obeyed’s famous salads and Copper Pennies. Talk about a great meal!

Traeger Steak 3.jpg

The Verdict

The super smoke setting on the Traeger really works. The steak had a distinct smoke flavour. Also, the surface got a red hue from the smoke and there was even a bit of smoke ring.

If you like smoke flavour on your steak, this is the method for you.

Disco

Very nice looking steak and plate of food. You sure did get nice color on that steak for sure.

Yep...Happy birthday Mr. Disco. Steak looks great and the overall meal is certainly worthy of a nice birthday meal. Fantastic job!!

Robert

Great looking steak, disco.

Glad to see that Traeger is working for you, hopefully I’ll get on the pellet grill scene soon.

Like!

Happy birthday Disco, that steak looks wonderful!!!

Point for sure
Chris

Happy birthday. I'm a fan of smoked reversed sear steaks (on the rare occasions SWMBO allows steak). I like to get the meat to near freezing before putting it in the smoker. That allows more time in the smoke while they come up to 120F or so and gives a smokier flavor.

Yep...Happy birthday Mr. Disco. Steak looks great and the overall meal is certainly worthy of a nice birthday meal. Fantastic job!!

Robert

Thanks. I did feel like I was treating myself.

Great looking steak, disco.

Glad to see that Traeger is working for you, hopefully I’ll get on the pellet grill scene soon.

Like!

Thanks, xray! I appreciate the like!

Great looking meal & that steak looks fantastic!
Happy birthday Buddy!
Al

Thanks, Al. I think I've had enough birthdays though. I might start ignoring them.

Disco

Happy birthday Disco, that steak looks wonderful!!!

Point for sure
Chris

Thanks for the point, Chris!

Happy birthday. I'm a fan of smoked reversed sear steaks (on the rare occasions SWMBO allows steak). I like to get the meat to near freezing before putting it in the smoker. That allows more time in the smoke while they come up to 120F or so and gives a smokier flavor.

Thanks. I have heard about chilling the steak (I did take it right out of the fridge) but wanted to try out their super smoke mode on the Timberline. It works great!

Really nice cook Disco, and good looking plate for sure.

LIKE!

Happy Birthday and to many more....

John

Thanks for the like, John!

Disco

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky