Too much cure #1 sausage?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Jgreen

Original poster
Nov 18, 2020
Hi guys. This was my first time making kielbasa do I made a pretty small first batch (1889 grams of pork). The recipe called for about 4.25 grams of cure and for some reason I got lazy and just put a teaspoon (around 7 grams) instead because the package said one teaspoon per 5 pounds of meat.

Is this still safe? Or just better to chuck it? I'm leaning towards trying again just in case but wanted to get your guys opinion

That's kind of high, but it won't kill ya... The max allowed it 200ppm and you got about 230ppm , if you actually had 7 grams

I think a teaspoon is 6 gram's, and if so it would be right around 200ppm

Did you measure the weight of a spoonful after the fact or just guessing? You could add a little more meat to the batch if you'd feel better about it

Last edited:
Reactions: chef jimmyj
I wouldn’t worry about it, yes it’s a bit much, so if it were me I would take it out of the cure a couple of days ahead of time. It will cure much faster with that amount of cure in it.
Al

Reactions: chef jimmyj
That's kind of high, but it won't kill ya... The max allowed it 200ppm and you got about 230ppm , if you actually had 7 grams

I think a teaspoon is 6 gram's, and if so it would be right around 200ppm

Did you measure the weight of a spoonful after the fact or just guessing? You could add a little more meat to the batch if you'd feel better about it
I used a teaspoon measurement and put it into a bowl on top of a scale. I had some sort of lapse in judgment. I remember seeing at least 7 on the scale when I dropped it in so must of been a little more than a teaspoon?

It's already stuffed into natural casings, so I guess I could squeeze it out and add more meat. Thanks for responding!

A teaspoon of Cure #1 is just shy of 6 grams. An extra gram in your Kielbasa won't hurt. Especially since it will be cooked...JJ

Did you zero out the scale when you put the bowl on it? Or was that the lapse in judgment perhaps :emoji_astonished::emoji_laughing:

This is hard to answer.... The first thing you need to do is verify the accuracy of your measuring spoon. A teaspoon of water is 4.9 grams. So try that and see just how true your teaspoon really is. Interesting ARTICLE from Cooks

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky