Tomato Soup and Grilled cheese

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

S-met

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jul 1, 2019
Nor Cal
20200215_185147.jpg

Wife and I were talking about Grilled cheese, but we didn't have any. While we were at the store, we thought that grilled cheese and tomato soup sounded good. We were standing in the canned soup aisle and just couldn't bring myself to settle. Quick re-route to the produce aisle and was onto making my own. Heirloom tomatoes, basil, parsley, oregano, thyme, garlic and a handful of chili peppers.

Cheese: smoked gouda, jalapeno cheddar, brie, Robiola Alita Langa (soft ripe funky like a brie), Le Cremeux Emmi and Moliterno w/truffles on a sourdough battard.

Yummm! Nice take on grilled cheese and tomato soup. I like playing around with different cheese and bread combos. Your soup sounds amazing!

Reactions: S-met
Thanks for the likes.

Surprisingly to me, I've never made tomato soup before. I forsee a smoked variant of gazpacho this summer.

I make smoked tomatillo salsa several times a year. I'll smoke some tomatos this year for sure.

For some reason I can never get my grilled cheese to come out like I would get at a restaurant. Grilled cheese and hamburgers. Two things you think would be so simple to master yet I can’t. But something much fancier I have no problems with it seems! Ha ha

That looks really good. Grilled cheese and tomato soup is in regular rotation at Chez Braz. Progresso Tomato & Roasted Red Pepper is actually pretty good for canned soup. Some chives and a bit of cayenne does not hurt it either.
Our luck growing tomatoes has been pretty poor the last couple seasons but when we get a good crop we generally make a batch of soup for the freezer.

For some reason I can never get my grilled cheese to come out like I would get at a restaurant. Grilled cheese and hamburgers. Two things you think would be so simple to master yet I can’t. But something much fancier I have no problems with it seems! Ha ha
Curiosity triggered, what falls short of your expectations?

Curiosity triggered, what falls short of your expectations?
Honestly I think it’s just from not using better quality ingredients probably. Bread too soggy. Cheese too goopy. Restaurant grilled cheese seems to be on slightly thicker, more robust bread with a good crunch. Their cheese, even if American, seems to be not so goopy. So i imagine they’re probably using a better quality American cheese than just the pre-packaged stuff. My wife always uses margarine too, which I’m sure is a no-no. She probably needs to be using real, higher quality butter.

I use a hot pan (given) but I don't overcrowd. Might mean I cook 1 at a time. Sometimes I'll do two individual pieces then join them for the sandwich - hope that makes sense. I also push the bread to one side after a min or so, then add about a tablespoon of water and cover to steam the cheese. Gives it a good melty-goo without over-cooking the bread. Just watch thatthe water stays away from the bread. Sometimes I'll even tilt the pan slightly.

Grilled Cheese and Tomato Soup Mmmmmm Can't Beat it

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky