Tomahawk and Duck Fat Fried Shrooms/Carrots

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I appreciate it Matt! At one point I would not have had any problem with how this one went, it tasted great and that is the key! However, I've started to become more self-critical as I learn more here and other places. I've been trying to get a more standard coloring to the meat on cuts like this. So instead of a decent pink 128 IT in the center, but a more medium to medium well as the slice moves to the edges, I shoot for a good standard 128 for much of the slice and only a millimeter or so on the edge. Just a new thing to strive for! Your welcome over at anytime, with beer, to lend a hand!

Yup a fine line to shoot for is a good goal. Best I’ve done is to use the smoker first then over to a very hot searing grate on the gasser. The trick is knowing when to pull from the smoker. Then, resting it 5-8 min before going to sear. I’m not dialed in, yet! 😎

Reactions: bauchjw
Awesome cook Jed! Looks amazing! And I agree with Jake...that pic of your daughter is just priceless!

Ryan

• Love
Jed, phenomenal all the way around… you knocked that one outta the park man! Nice score on the tomahawk too and perfectly cooked!

BTW, looks like someone was sneaking up on that steak! 😉

• Haha
I'm with the majority . I see nothing but good eats
Love the kid peaking over the top . Lol . Great photo .
Thank you! It was tasty! My oldest loves red meat and, like her generation, is excited to be in pics!

I don't mind paying for the bone if there is no other way to get the cut. It just wouldn't be the same without the bone.
For a family meal, can't always get the temp correct. I did the same to a pair of TRI tips last night grilling in the dark.
Haha! Thank you! The bone is pretty F’n cool! Any kind of cook with young kids is a challenge! I’m usually just happy it’s edible!

Hell yeah. You did that tomahawk justice man. Everything looks amazing. My 8 year old daughter wont touch steak. She must be the milk man's.
Thank you! This 8 year old is a meat eater! My 5 year old daughter nibbled at it, I’m sure she’ll be a vegetarian by junior high! Darn milk men!

Man everything looks great to me Jed ! I'd sure take a turn on that bone and vittles !
Keith
Thank you Keith! Always welcome!

Last edited:
Awesome cook Jed! Looks amazing! And I agree with Jake...that pic of your daughter is just priceless!
Ryan
Thank you Ryan! It was delicious, the shrooms were a lot of fun too! Abi is a bit of a ham, but she really loves red meat!

Jed, phenomenal all the way around… you knocked that one outta the park man! Nice score on the tomahawk too and perfectly cooked!
BTW, looks like someone was sneaking up on that steak! 😉

Thank you Justin! She could've probably eaten that whole thing on her own!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky