This weekends vittles...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Buckeyedude

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 5, 2018
So we had our annual golf outing to support the football team and there some leftovers from the caterer! So I helped load up whatever anyone wanted and ran bunch of stuff to the local contractors shop that is a huge supporter of the program! After that I grabbed some cheese, crackers and a plate of tomatoes and onions that nobody wanted! At some point last night, I mixed up some brine and made pickled onions . They were good last night. Bit even better today after work ! Super simple recipe. Per 16 oz jar ( I used a quart jar so I doubled the recipe) ½cup of hot water
½ cup of apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon of white sugar
1 teaspoon of you favorite garlic salt
A pinch of dill
A teaspoon of Tony c's blue cap.

Mixe, shake up, sample, let sit and try the next day! Great stuff!

Also sliced up some cheese and salami while I was waiting!
20230715_191639.jpg

20230716_190202.jpg

20230715_194725.jpg

Now that looks tasty! That's my kind of meal. I love pickled red onions. Use a recipe similar to yours and keep a jar in the fridge at all times. They are good on just about anything!

Reactions: Buckeyedude
Now that looks tasty! That's my kind of meal. I love pickled red onions. Use a recipe similar to yours and keep a jar in the fridge at all times. They are good on just about anything!
Ditto, I use a bit more sweetener for a tangy sweetness and vary the herbs depending on meal plans. Very similar process for pickled turnips if I'm doing something like shawarma.

So you dont boil or do anything else to the liquids? Just mix and pour over the onions? How long will they last in the fridge? I know a lot of questions but you got my interest up!

jim

Thanks! Great flavor and like you said good on just about everything!

Ditto, I use a bit more sweetener for a tangy sweetness and vary the herbs depending on meal plans. Very similar process for pickled turnips if I'm doing something like shawarma.
Yes, I like to change it up sometimes. I was going to add a bit of red pepper flakes but we are apparently all out!

Reactions: jcam222
So you dont boil or do anything else to the liquids? Just mix and pour over the onions? How long will they last in the fridge? I know a lot of questions but you got my interest up!

jim
No sir, no cook. Just add the mix and shake it occasionally. It was good in half an hour, but was really good after a 24 hour soak. I eat them rather quickly so Im not sure about shelf life in the fridge. Maybe cptnding cptnding can chime in on that, he keeps his fridge stocked!

Reactions: JLeonard
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky