Third tri tip attempt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Nefarious

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Oct 10, 2021
Seattle WA
My youngest son came to dinner last night so I had the opportunity to smoke a prime tri tip. I Seasoned with SPG and let it sit uncovered in the garage refrigerator for about 3 hours. The initial IT was 40° and I pulled it at 130° . I haven't figured out how to control the smoke at higher temps so I cooked between 210° and 220°. Total smoke time was 2 hr. Outside temperature was between 36° and 34° and the beverage of choice was Writers Tears, an Irish whiskey given to me by my youngest son. This attempt was not reverse seared as I have done before. I smoked it the whole way through. Much thanks to civilsmoker civilsmoker who suggested that I could keep it in a warm 140° oven while I finish the rest of dinner. I really like this idea.

I am working on getting the TBS.
PXL_20211220_003725925.jpg

After it came out of the smoker
PXL_20211220_033811251.jpg

Sliced up and ready to eat
PXL_20211220_034230160.jpg

The taste was delicious and not much is left for lunch today. I felt it was a little chewy. Maybe tri tip needs to cook more, can't eat it like a new york steak. Next time I will pull it at 135° or 140°.

Dang that does look tasty. Very even cook! I think taking it to 135/140 will change the texture for ya! If you smoke it at 235 you will get a bit more color and crust for the short cook. Either way nice work!

Reactions: JLeonard
Dang that does look tasty. Very even cook! I think taking it to 135/140 will change the texture for ya! If you smoke it at 235 you will get a bit more color and crust for the short cook. Either way nice work!
Thanks, I have the parts for my modified mailbox mod starting to arrive. That will make it easier to control the smoke. At 235 the smoke just bellows out of the smoker.

Haters don't hate! Looks good. But I found that taking a TT to 145-150 gives me the best results for our tastes. And it remains plenty juicy and tender. Though. I would really like to find them here at a sane price.

I agree with Steve H. I love TT cooked in my Weber charcoal grill with wood chips for the smoke flavor plus it cooks faster with just the right amount of smoke for the flavor.

Looks great from here ! I need to try taking the IT to 135/140/145 as civil and Steve suggested.
Wife will not eat it at that level of redness..bless her heart...

Looks delicious and perfectly cooked. I think your issue with with the chew is you sliced it with the grain instead of against the grain. Nice job though
Good eye there Jake !
That was the problem with my 1st...and 2nd attempt for sure. Very chewy if not cut properly

Reactions: TNJAKE
Looks delicious and perfectly cooked. I think your issue with with the chew is you sliced it with the grain instead of against the grain. Nice job though
Yes, that would be correct, and thank you. I was in such a hurry and after a few Writer's Tears, another learning experience.

That tri-tip looks delicious. The last one I did, I cooked like a brisket, and I thought it came out really good that way, too.

Looks great from here ! I need to try taking the IT to 135/140/145 as civil and Steve suggested.
Wife will not eat it at that level of redness..bless her heart...
Heck, my wife won't eat beef at any level of redness, with the exception of a smoke ring, since she knows the smoke ring has nothing to do with the level of doneness. I've learned over the years to eat stuff well done, but If I'm just cooking for myself, it's medium rare to medium. She is from Louisiana and won't eat any kind of shellfish either, of all things, but that's a topic for another thread, lol.

Reactions: bauchjw
Heck, my wife won't eat beef at any level of redness, with the exception of a smoke ring, since she knows the smoke ring has nothing to do with the level of doneness. I've learned over the years to eat stuff well done, but If I'm just cooking for myself, it's medium rare to medium.
Well, I just tell wife we do have a microwave if you don't like it. She's not happy but she happens to be the odd one out.

• Haha
Reactions: fxsales1959
Well, I just tell wife we do have a microwave if you don't like it. She's not happy but she happens to be the odd one out.
***envisioning my wife throwing a cast iron skillet at my head as I tell her this .... ***

That tri-tip looks delicious. The last one I did, I cooked like a brisket, and I thought it came out really good that way, too.

Heck, my wife won't eat beef at any level of redness, with the exception of a smoke ring, since she knows the smoke ring has nothing to do with the level of doneness. I've learned over the years to eat stuff well done, but If I'm just cooking for myself, it's medium rare to medium. She is from Louisiana and won't eat any kind of shellfish either, of all things, but that's a topic for another thread, lol.
I’ll give you some more reading material. This is for Sous vide cooking but the charts and information are all about pasteurization and why food is safe at lower final temp if held there long enough. We don’t have to cremate our food to make it safe.

https://douglasbaldwin.com/sous-vide.html

So if I pull bacon at 145* it’s safe, sausage at 150* it’s safe. Baldwin explains how and why. No need to take chicken to 175-180* either, it’s not necessary for food safety.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky