• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Thickening Lea and Perrins Worcestershire sauce

whistlepig

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Dec 23, 2011
It appears the Lea and Perrins no longer makes thick worcestershire sauce or I can't find any. Would cornstarch work for thickening regular Lea and Perrins?

jcam222

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 13, 2017
Careful with xanthan gum, a little goes a long way. Too much and it almost feel gelatinous.
Definitely, I use it fromctime to time in place of cornstarch since it’s carb free. It’s very commonly used in commercial sauces and such though.

S-met

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Jul 1, 2019
Definitely, I use it fromctime to time in place of cornstarch since it’s carb free. It’s very commonly used in commercial sauces and such though.
Indeed it is, just check the label of almany sauce.
I didn't realize it was 0 carb. Might start using it more. I'm not exactly watching carbs, but I'm not exactly "not watching" them either.

Fueling Around

Smoking Fanatic
SMF Premier Member
Joined Dec 10, 2018
I avoid (wheat) flour and corn starch due to wife's food sensitivities. Potato starch, Guar Gum and Xanthan Gum are neutral to her, so I try to use them first.

Xanthum gum has the advantage and disadvantage that it thickens on IMMEDIATE contact with liquids.
Advantage you don't have to heat the L&P for thickening as is required for most all other common thickeners. Xanthan gum also doesn't go funky when you heat the finished sauce. Some of the other thickeners can either convert to concrete or breakdown to a nasty mess.
Disadvantage it thickens immediately and leaves gelatinous blobs unless whisked thoroughly when added to your sauce. I use my immersion blender with the whisk. As S S-met noted (and jcam222 jcam222 knows) a little goes a long way and easy to get a jelly instead of a thickened sauce. Fine for my home made Mae Ploy sauce, not so good for gravies and sauces.

jcam222

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 13, 2017
I’ve got some arrowroot powder to try for thickening too. Haven’t tried it on anything yet.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.