They called me mad...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Aszteroidt

Original poster
May 10, 2018
When I told them my plan...I want to do a whole choice strip loin on the smoker, reverse sear style...smoke it to around 120 then sear it and THEN portion it out into steaks, some of which will be grilled to more done condition, as guests tastes dictate...I want to get the order right as I know I MUST have a rest in there somewhere...so do I smoke then rest then sear then slice then finish? Do I smoke then sear then rest then slice then finish? Do I smoke then rest then sear then rest then slice then finish? There’s GOT to be a way!!!

I like smoke, rest, sear, rest, slice, finish. But goodness! Kind of pricey to make a big mistake. Couldn't you test drive the theory on a cheap analog like a pork loin?

If your going to do it that way, I think I'd go the route smoke it, sear it right away, then rest and slice. Trying to keep as much of the juice in the meat. I've haven't done one, but I'm sure someone has and will chime in.

Chris

First off take the smoker to 140 and no injecting anything. You don't want to mess around in the Danger Zone with company coming. Smoke, Sear, Rest, Slice. No need for a post smoking rest for same reason...JJ

First off take the smoker to 140 and no injecting anything. You don't want to mess around in the Danger Zone with company coming. Smoke, Sear, Rest, Slice. No need for a post smoking rest for same reason...JJ

How long do you think I’d be good resting in a cambro before slicing? And honestly I don’t want to mess up this roast...if you think there’s at least a reasonable chance this way might turn out not so good I’d be open to other suggestions...

Personally i have never done a roast of that cut. but i have done many rib roasts (about 20-25). when i have 4-5 lb rib roast i will smoke to 135 rest for a couple hours then i slice and i sear the individual slices to people's tastes for doneness.

Happy Smoking,
phatbac (Aaron)

Personally i have never done a roast of that cut. but i have done many rib roasts (about 20-25). when i have 4-5 lb rib roast i will smoke to 135 rest for a couple hours then i slice and i sear the individual slices to people's tastes for doneness.

Happy Smoking,
phatbac (Aaron)

That makes perfect sense to me...it’s pretty much exactly what I’m looking to do...so really why sear the entire roast when I’m going to essentially be cutting it into steaks and grilling them to preferred doneness anyway...the roast sear would seem unnecessary unless there’s a whole “sealing in the juices” thing which most people have told me is bunk...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky