THE PANCETTA IS FINALLY DONE

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Looks wonderful Al, I bet it was well worth the wait.

Point for sure
Chris

Al....my God that looks fantastic!! I remember mine taking the same length of time and I had the same awe-struck look on my face as you probably did when you cut into it. So beautiful!! I'd recommend getting another batch going immediately though because that one isn't gonna last the 6 months it takes to do the next one :emoji_laughing: Beautiful job sir, big LIKE, and certainly a carousel worthy endeavor. Congrats on a much deserved ride.

Wow....just wow!!
Robert

Looks amazing Al! I have to figure out a curing chamber this summer.

Jeff...you don't need a curing chamber. All you need is an umaI bag and a bit of space in the fridge. I've done many, many long-term dry aged artisan Italian meats. All have been incredible and all were done in a standard fridge. No special equipment required. Certainly you can build or buy a curing chamber but you don't have to. I have tons of umaI bags. If you wanna give it a shot, just let me know and I'll send you the bags you need. If you like what's going on, then you can order some and get into it in a big way. I did :emoji_laughing:

Robert
p.s. I still have your address

Jeff...you don't need a curing chamber. All you need is an umaI bag and a bit of space in the fridge. I've done many, many long-term dry aged artisan Italian meats. All have been incredible and all were done in a standard fridge. No special equipment required. Certainly you can build or buy a curing chamber but you don't have to. I have tons of umaI bags. If you wanna give it a shot, just let me know and I'll send you the bags you need. If you like what's going on, then you can order some and get into it in a big way. I did :emoji_laughing:

Robert
Appreciate the offer for sure. I’ll let you know after Christmas, I have them on the list.

That looks Awesome, Al !!!
Gotta be Mighty Tasty!
Like.
A Pinwheel slice looks like one of those Big Lollypops they used to sell at Atlantic City, and at Carnivals. I believe they called them "All Day Suckers". Don't know if they still make them.

Bear
Great looking Pancetta Al!!!!

Thanks guys!
It really tastes as good as it looks!!
Al

Al, thank you for providing detail!

Your very welcome!

Al that looks amazing. Eye candy for sure and as Bear said it looks like a pinwheel lollypop.
Looks wonderful Al, I bet it was well worth the wait.

Point for sure
Chris
Wow! That looks Fabulous!
Al....my God that looks fantastic!! I remember mine taking the same length of time and I had the same awe-struck look on my face as you probably did when you cut into it. So beautiful!! I'd recommend getting another batch going immediately though because that one isn't gonna last the 6 months it takes to do the next one :emoji_laughing: Beautiful job sir, big LIKE, and certainly a carousel worthy endeavor. Congrats on a much deserved ride.

Wow....just wow!!
Robert

Thanks Fellas!
I really appreciate it!
Al

Robert

I used the Umai bags & found that they are not the same as using a curing chamber. They almost always have a hard crust on the outside, and as you can see this one did not have anything to trim off. But they do work & after the trimming they are very much like a piece of meat cured in a curing chamber. I guess it's like comparing Choice to Prime.
Appreciate the offer for sure. I’ll let you know after Christmas, I have them on the list.
That is absolutely superb. Well done.

Thank you so much guys!
Al

Well I started this project on June 6th. And today it finally lost 25% of it's weight, which is the recommended weight loss. Actually anywhere between 15% to 25% depending how fatty the belly is. I went with the longer time even though my belly was pretty fat. Sorry guys, but I didn't take any photo's of the process. It's pretty simple though. This is the video that I followed: . And the second half. .
However mine took 6 months to get done, but after sampling a piece, it was definitely worth the wait.
Here are a few photo's of mine. Here is how it looked out of the curing chamber.

View attachment 424042

I sliced it in the middle to see if it was OK. It looks pretty good & smalls wonderful.

View attachment 424043

I sliced a few real thin slices off to see how they taste & I am very pleased. The flavor is wonderful.

View attachment 424044

Now for the final step I'm going to vac pack it for 3 or 4 weeks in the fridge & this will redistribute the moisture throughout the meat.

View attachment 424045

Well now my curing chamber is empty, so I think I will use it to make some beer. Never done that before, but my Grandson bought me a beer making kit, so why not give it a try.!
Thanks for looking guys!!
Al

Definitely on my bucket list. Thanks Al for posting !! Have a Merry Christmas too.

HT

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky