The not so after life

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

azgramps

Original poster
Dec 26, 2012
Sierra Vista, Arizona, USofA
So I was just thinking about my departure from society and I have chosen to be cremated after they farm my internal parts for other people. But it got me wondering if I can pre-select the wood they will use and perhaps provide the rub with of course instructions on temperature and time.

I am thinking a Cajun seasoning rub over Apple or Pecan (maybe a bit of both) at about 185 for 9-10 hours would do the trick.

LOL great question. I have no experience with creamation but everytime I see it on tv they are sliding a perfectly good casket into the flames. Therefore, pick out a casket ahead of time made of whatever wood you desire......I'm thinking a Hickory box with an apple lid at the moment..
th_violent5.gif

Last edited:
Not long ago I was on a job site. The drilling crew that I hired made a comment about a building a block away. It had a couple of really high end exhaust vents comming out of the roof. When they started smoking the crew made a comment about them. I asked them what kind of business it was and they told me it was a funeral home with a crematorium. I was amazed over the next two days how often the two smoke stacks would start smoking and then quit. It really made me think while I was on the jobsite.

BTW- They don't go low and slow but they do produce a lot of TBS.

Here's an interesting tidbit from the National Funeral Directors Association. (NFDA.org)

What happens during the cremation process?

The casket or container is placed in the cremation chamber, where the temperature is raised to approximately 1400 degrees to 1800 degrees Fahrenheit. After approximately 2 to 2 1/2 hours, all organic matter is consumed by heat or evaporation. The remaining bone fragments are known as cremated remains. The cremated remains are then carefully removed from the cremation chamber. Any metal is removed with a magnet and later disposed of in an approved manner. The cremated remains are then processed into fine particles and are placed in a temporary container provided by the crematory or placed in an urn purchased by the family. The entire process takes approximately three hours. Throughout the cremation process, a carefully controlled labeling system ensures correct identification.

How hot does the cremation chamber get?

The optimum temperature range is 1400 degrees to 1800 degrees Fahrenheit for the cremation chamber.

How long does it take to cremate a body?

Cremating at the optimum temperature (1400-1800 degrees), the average weighted remains takes 2 to 2 1/2 hours. Several more hours may be required before the cremated remains are available to the family.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky