The Classic Pastrami Reuben

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

troutman

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Aug 14, 2017
Houston, Texas
Most of the whole packer briskets I find now-a-days have thin, tapered flats that I tend to chop off and use for stew meat, chili, burgers or whatever. This time I went ahead and lopped of a larger 3# piece to make me some pastrami. Only issue I had with this piece was the fat came out of the wet cure kind of gray and wrinkled, not very appetizing so I cut it all off. Piece was pretty lean but was from a prime brisket so had decent marbling;

Trimed Flat.jpg

Went ahead and started by corning it for about a week's time.

Used the following recipe per one gallon of corning solution for my 3# of meat;

8 ozs by weight of Morton's Kosher salt
1 cup of light brown sugar
1 1/3 tsp of Cure #1
5 tablespoons of pickling spice
4 garlic cloves crushed

Corning Solution.jpg

....left it in the frig for what turned out to be 8 days, after which I rinsed it and soaked it in water for about 6-7 hours changing the water 2-3 times to remove the extra salt.

Next made a classic pastrami rub composed of pepper, crushed coriander seeds, mustard power, garlic and onion powder, smoked paprika, and ancho chili powder. Applied it to the corned beef and let it setup for a couple of hours as I fired up my WSM to give it a good smoke.....

Pastrami After Corning.jpg

WSM Pastrami Cook.jpg

...after the meat hit about 160* IT, I transferred it to a foil pan that I had set up as a steamer and steamed the meat at about 300* until it got to about 203* IT or probe tender. Being as how it had no exterior fat but did have decent amount intramuscular fat, it came out tender but just a bit dry but sliced up real nice for sandwiches.....

Sliced Pastrami.jpg

....decided I wanted to make perhaps THE most classic of sandwiches, the Reuben. Melted some Swiss cheese onto about 10 oz. of pastrami topped of with sour kraut all on Jewish rye with stone ground mustard. Served with a kosher pickle, this classic can't be beat in my way of thinking......

Pastrami Sandwich.jpg

.....oh yes, I'm ready for my closeup now Mr. DeVille ........

Pastrami Sandwich Closeup.jpg

GET YOU A BIG BITE OF THAT !!!! TROUTMAN OUT !!!!

Troutman That is a great looking Reuben!! You owe me a key board drooling destroyed it Points
Richie

That looks great!

It also gives me an idea to save some of my flat pieces and do the same. I just throw the portion of the flat I cut off during tripping into the pan that sits under my brisket. It braises and 90% of the time becomes burnt ends and 10% of the time becomes super tender chopped brisket.

It will just be hard not to cook it with the briskets I smoke hahahaha :D

That looks just great. Only thing better than a reuben is a pastrami reuben.

Not much to say other than fantastic!
Very nicely done!
Great looking Reuben!
Congrats on making the carousel!
Al

Man oh Man! I know what you mean about the thin flats, in my part of the world The flats on packers are so thin that they wouldn't be considered suitable for smoking unless your paying astronomical prices similar to wagyu..

I've always wanted to try pastrami and yours looks incredible! Point to you

I just have to chime in on this one!
Troutman, that is one beautiful looking Sammy for sure. It's taking me a lot of will power to hold back and not lick my laptop screen :)

Also, love the screen name "Troutman"

That's a fine looking Reuben you got there.

Point for sure

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky