The All American Burger and Fries

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chilerelleno

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
A day well spent,
all morning annoying our children, spend lunch cleaning an old black powder muzzleloader that I inherited and then helping cooking an awesome dinner for the family.

The Menu
Loaded Bacon Cheeseburgers and Homemade Fries

The Fries
Scrub down several large baking potatoes
Julienne into 1/4"-1/2" fries
Deep fry at 375° till just golden, lift basket, let oil reheat and then finish to crisp
Salt/season well while still dripping oil
Serve HOT!

o773RdU.jpg

a3xX1vn.jpg

Loaded Bacon Cheeseburgers
5lbs of prime 80/20 Chuck divided eight ways, .62lb patties
Lightly handled into patties and nicely seasoned with Cajun spice, black pepper and salt
Grilled over high heat for a nice sear
Add cheese and get a nice melt

My tips for great burgers
Do not over handle the meat and do not mix spices into it, and above all don't smash'em flat while cooking
Season the unformed chunk of chuck and then gently form the patty
Leave them thick and form a deep divot in the center, I use my thumb, this divot keeps them from shrinking up
Blazing hot, clean and oiled grill, and once down don't move'em till ya flip'em
Sear them well, this is beef, I cook to medium-medium well

I1FDa4H.jpg

eskvtim.jpg

HGJsc6w.jpg

OYhd2Ib.jpg

The Finale

J0AwpE2.jpg

mpri28a.jpg

Last edited:
A day well spent,
all morning annoying our children, spend lunch cleaning an old black powder muzzleloader that I inherited and then helping cooking an awesome dinner for the family.

The Menu
Loaded Bacon Cheeseburgers and Homemade Fries

The Fries
Scrub down several large baking potatoes
Julienne into 1/4"-1/2" fries
Deep fry at 375° till just golden, lift basket, let oil reheat and then finish to crisp
Salt/season well while still dripping oil
Serve HOT!

o773RdU.jpg

a3xX1vn.jpg

Loaded Bacon Cheeseburgers
5lbs of prime 80/20 Chuck divided eight ways, .62lb patties
Lightly handled into patties and nicely seasoned with Cajun spice, black pepper and salt
Grilled over high heat for a nice sear
Add cheese and get a nice melt

My tips for great burgers
Do not over handle the meat, do not mix spices into it and form the patties gently
Season the unformed chunk of chuck and then form the patty
Leave them thick and form a deep divot in the center, I use my thumb
This divot keeps them from shrinking up
Sear them well, this is beef
I cook to medium-medium well

I1FDa4H.jpg

eskvtim.jpg

HGJsc6w.jpg

OYhd2Ib.jpg

The Finale

J0AwpE2.jpg

mpri28a.jpg

Great looking burgers and fries. Good tips also.

Looks great but the seasoning looks pretty tame for your pallet
Thanks CC, my burger got a lil'something special on it, Hillbilly Gunpowder.
Great looking burgers and fries. Good tips also.
Thanks Adam... Belch! Oops, excuse me... Thanks for the Like.
Mouth watering!
Thanks John, I was salivating hard while grilling and my tummy was a grumbling too.
Appreciate the Like.
Awesome American burger and American fries!
Thank you, LOL... Who remembers the congressional Freedom Fries?

Last edited:
damn that looks good, i am an alabama boy relocated in upstate ny, my aunt and uncle live in cottonwood alabama and my brother is in northeast alabama in oxford. I love reading your posts, a like was more than needed on your post.................roll tide

damn that looks good, i am an alabama boy relocated in upstate ny, my aunt and uncle live in cottonwood alabama and my brother is in northeast alabama in oxford. I love reading your posts, a like was more than needed on your post.................roll tide
Thanks, appreciate the compliment.
New York state, why? Nevermind why, just remember where sweet home alabama is.
I go by and/or through Cottonwood regularly as I've a customer off State Line Road just West of town.

Damn I would take your burgers any day. Love homemade fries. I like the way you did not over process the meat. Heck it looked like you hardly touched them. Like you said in the post. Just enough to form the patty. So putting a big dimple in the center really does work? I've never done it. To compensate for shrinkage I just made them bigger.
You and the family had a great dinner there.

Damn I would take your burgers any day. Love homemade fries. I like the way you did not over process the meat. Heck it looked like you hardly touched them. Like you said in the post. Just enough to form the patty. So putting a big dimple in the center really does work? I've never done it. To compensate for shrinkage I just made them bigger.
You and the family had a great dinner there.
Awww heck, thanks man.

Yes'sir, if you get rough with the ground chuck it quickly loses what little juiciness and tenderness it has left.
I mean heck, it's already been through the grinder.
And the dimple does indeed work, keeps all the juices from puffing up the center of the burger.
And don't smash'em down either when on the grill, just losing more juicy flavor.

Awww heck, thanks man.

Yes'sir, if you get rough with the ground chuck it quickly loses what little juiciness and tenderness it has left.
I mean heck, it's already been through the grinder.
And the dimple does indeed work, keeps all the juices from puffing up the center of the burger.
And don't smash'em down either when on the grill, just losing more juicy flavor.

Only time you touch them is when your ready to flip them. Oh yes. I've seen people smash the heck out of the burger. Why? Just taking away the moisture.

Awesome burgers there chile...and kudos for the double fried fries.
I've said it before-I'll say it again....man knows how to cook!
I like chuck/venison/pork burgers in a 1-1-1 ratio. You ever try that combo?

Awesome burgers there chile...and kudos for the double fried fries.
I've said it before-I'll say it again....man knows how to cook!
I like chuck/venison/pork burgers in a 1-1-1 ratio. You ever try that combo?
Really appreciate the Like and compliments, thanks.
No, never tried that one, just 60:40 or 50:50 chuck and sirloin when I can get it.
I'd like to get a grinder and make chuck:venison, chuck:brisket and fresh pork patty sausage with some real heat to it.

Fine looking burgers Chili, and plated nicely also. We parboil our potato's before double frying.

Point for sure.

Chris

Fine looking burgers Chili, and plated nicely also. We parboil our potato's before double frying.

Point for sure.

Chris
Thank you Chris, and thanks for the parboil tip too, never done that for fries.
That is a great looking meal!
Simple, but delicious looking!
Nice job!
Al
Thanks Al, always geeking the food for the camera.
It tasted about how it looks, good'ol burger-n-fries, but without costing a small fortune.
Maybe now my fam will lay off bugging me for Five Guys for a week or two :rolleyes:

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky