• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Thawing....

SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

KHert

Jul 30, 2019
Is there any issues with thawing a pork shoulder in water and then the fridge and have ready for late Friday early Saturday smoking???

I have already started the thawing process. Had it in the fridge and then water. Will put back in the fridge overnight. And then cook late tomorrow evening or early next morning

Seems like it is okay but want to make sure.

Kevin

pc farmer

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Feb 17, 2013
Nope. As long at the water stays cold. I just thaw in the fridge. Only takes a few days.

chef jimmyj

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
May 12, 2011
The meat has to be Submerged in Water, with a continuous trickle adding some fresh water to keep all cold. Too often, folks throw the meat in a Colander and just run water over...Not Safe. I have a 10qt pot for smaller items and a big 20Qt for Turkey or multiple pieces of meat...JJ

PorkBones

Fire Starter
Jul 25, 2019
In a pinch, I've thawed a large brisket in cold water after sitting in the fridge for a day. It was still frozen solid. I was amazed at how quickly it thawed in the cold water. It took about three hours to totally thaw to the inside. That said, the water must remain COLD! Throw some ice in there to keep the temp down if you have to. Keep the temp in the safe zone so as not to encourage bacterial growth, less than 40*F I believe. Also, make sure you keep the shoulder in the vacuum seal!

Spodie Odie

Fire Starter
Apr 17, 2019
I have tried and failed with the timing of thawing for weekend cooks. I got it nailed down to putting it in the fridge on Wednesday by 1300 and you will be ready to go for your Saturday cook.

PorkBones

Fire Starter
Jul 25, 2019
I have tried and failed with the timing of thawing for weekend cooks. I got it nailed down to putting it in the fridge on Wednesday by 1300 and you will be ready to go for your Saturday cook.
I've found that three days in the fridge is enough for most cuts of meat. I almost always put frozen meat in the fridge Wednesday too. That way it's ready by Friday night, which is when I trim, and rub, and wrap for a Saturday cook.

noboundaries

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 7, 2013
I thaw pork butts and turkeys, still vacuum sealed, submerged in water in a cooler. Takes about 18-24 hours. After I add the cold water, I wait about two hours then float ice in the cooler. I either dump a bunch of ice cubes or put a frozen water jug in the cooler. The ice is my temp indicator. I like the frozen water jug the best. As long as there's ice present, the water is cold enough.

The frozen meat sucks heat out of the cold water 25x faster than air. The submerged meat and cold water trickle method works more quickly, twice as fast, but I've never been a fan because you're adding 50F cold water to the thaw. Unless you put a waterproof thermometer in the water to manage the temp, I see room for problems.

chef jimmyj

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
May 12, 2011
Here is another Quick Thaw Trick for meat you will be cooking the same day...For Steaks, Chops, Chix Parts, Fish Fillets, any meat less than 2 inches thick. Wrap in Foil and lay out on a Room Temp Cast Iron Griddle. Turn after 30 minutes, if needed.
I have never seen meat take longer than 1 hour to Thaw completely!

This works on those days when you think, " Oh Crap! I forgot to Thaw the meat for Supper! " It is best to cook off the same day. The method is Completely Safe because you are in the Danger Zone less than 2 hours, as recommended by the USDA...JJ

johnmeyer

Master of the Pit
Nov 19, 2015
I am not a fan of the fridge thaw because it takes days and, even after that time, I often find the inside of the turkey or big roast is still partially frozen.

So I instead use the thaw function on my microwave. Mine lets me enter the type of meat (poultry, meat, fish) and then enter the weight, and it figures out the rest. I turn and flip the item 2-3 times during the thaw. I also check the surface temperature and if it gets warmer than room temperature, I stop for 5-10 minutes and let the meat temp even out, and then proceed. I finish in a water bath or on the counter.

This method is fast and safe (because the meat comes up to room temp so quickly).

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Top Bottom
Clicky