• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Thanks for the new forum, Jeff

bbq bubba

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Feb 12, 2007
Do i get to post the first thread???
O.K. not a pro but i got an 8, 12 and 16 quart dutch ovens, just got volunteered to do a dutch oven cooking class for women at our gun club
DB BBQ and myself go campin in the fall and cook all our meals for a long weekend over a fire on our ovens and various cast iron pieces. I'll pull out some recipes and spread em around

squeezy

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Jul 17, 2005
Ditto from me, thanks Jeff!

I have a cast iron pot a friend gave me ... don't even know if it is a Dutch oven or not? It is at the lake, so I'll take a pic this weekend and perhaps someone can clue me in!

hawgheaven

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined May 5, 2007
Now, is the intent here to cover ALL things Dutch Oven (i.e.: cooking on/in stovetop, oven, open fire, grill, etc...)? I have a really good pot roast recipe that I do on the stovetop if it is okay to post it...

deer meat

Smoking Fanatic
OTBS Member
Joined Aug 8, 2006
Thanks for the forum Jeff

Hey squeezy, Does you pot have 3 short legs that stick out the bottom? If so that is a camp dutch oven. There are the kind that are smooth on the bottom (no legs) also. the legs are to keep the pot above the coals for cooking.

squeezy

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Jul 17, 2005
No legs ... I guess that is why I asked ... I'll try to get a pic of it.

goat

Smoking Fanatic
OTBS Member
Joined Oct 27, 2005
Thanks for creating this. I have a lot of iron and will try to contribute what I can to this.

Dutch

Smoking Guru
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
OTBS Admin
Group Lead
Joined Jul 7, 2005
Hawg,

I figure if it can be cooked in a Dutch Oven, Camp Dutch Oven or a Murphy Oven (Aussie version of the Camp DO), the recipe can be posted posted-don't matter what the heat source is.

bubba t

Fire Starter
Joined Dec 8, 2007
Sweet spot ya'll have here...I would have to agree-- if the recipe you have calls for all the heat on bottom, it be done stove top, or just put your charcoal/wood on bottom...or if it calls for heat both top and bottom it could be done in mothers oven-- so in the field use coals top and bottom...you just need duplicate the temp as best as possible...

rip

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Oct 25, 2007
Thanks Jeff! Ohhhh this is goin to be good, I want to learn about this.

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.