TEXAS BRISKET

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I totally get it Al...

We used to live in Texas and when you bought a brisket, whole packer or a flat, there were usually a couple of men outside with a big smoker. They were always there, rain or shine. You would hand them the unopened package and they would tell you what time to come back for your fully smoked, delicious brisket. All they used was salt and pepper and mesquite for heat/smoke.

Hands down - those briskets were the most flavorful, tender, moist we have ever had.

Reactions: crazymoon
Yup---I've known for Years, Texans are the Kings of Brisket !
Thanks for Confirming that, Al !!
That's why Gary is my GOTO Guy on Brisket !!
I wish I would have known this back in 1971, during my last 7 months in the Army, when I was stationed at Ft Hood, TX.
I would have had Brisket for Supper every day!!!

Bear

I think we need a new rule on the forum; no talking about anything else after TG......UNTIL ALL THE TURKEY IS GONE! Dang, now I'm craving brisket.

Smoke a Brisket, anytime is a good time to smoke a brisket

Thinking about picking one up today myself!
Nice & cool down here, perfect for an all night WSM/Guru low & slow brisket smoke!!
Al

I gotta ask you Al, are planning on trying any new techniques to emulate the Texas stuff?

Thinking about picking one up today myself!
Nice & cool down here, perfect for an all night WSM/Guru low & slow brisket smoke!!
Al
Al, Just go to your Sam's, Costco or Local Meat market get a nice Choice Whole Packer,
Try to get one as uniform as possible Where there is not too much difference between the point and flat
I don't marinate , Inject, or let it sit in the fridge overnight, I take it out of the Cryovac Trim the fat cap as close to a 1/4 of an inch as possible. My seasoning blend is 2 parts course ground black pepper to 1 part Salt.
I cover both top and bottom, the ends and the sides. I let sit on the counter for about 30 to 45 min.
Then on my smoker 225-250 Fat side up. I'll smoke it for about 7 hours then wrap in butcher paper then back on till done. Easy, Easy, Easy

Gary

I gotta ask you Al, are planning on trying any new techniques to emulate the Texas stuff?

Funny you ask.
I just pulled one out of the smoker about 10 minutes ago.
It's Texas all the way & i'm letting it rest now, so in the next 20 minutes or so, I'll be able to say if my "Texas brisket technique worked". It sure looks & smells wonderful & is probe tender throughout, but it took forever to cook. I put it on at 5:00 PM yesterday & at midnight the alarm went off that it was at 195. I went out to have a look & it was not probe tender anywhere so I re-positioned the probe & it stayed between 190-195 until 11:00 AM this AM. That is basically an 11 hour stall. At that point I foiled it & it took about 1/2 hour to hit 203, and was probe tender throughout. Gonna cut into it in a few minutes. 30 minute rest should be fine after a stall that long. It looks & smells good, but I can't wait to taste it. Both of my neighbors came over cause they smelled the smoke & I sure hope I don't disappoint them!! They brought beer so it will be good no matter how the brisket comes out!!
Al

Al, Just go to your Sam's, Costco or Local Meat market get a nice Choice Whole Packer,
Try to get one as uniform as possible Where there is not too much difference between the point and flat
I don't marinate , Inject, or let it sit in the fridge overnight, I take it out of the Cryovac Trim the fat cap as close to a 1/4 of an inch as possible. My seasoning blend is 2 parts course ground black pepper to 1 part Salt.
I cover both top and bottom, the ends and the sides. I let sit on the counter for about 30 to 45 min.
Then on my smoker 225-250 Fat side up. I'll smoke it for about 7 hours then wrap in butcher paper then back on till done. Easy, Easy, Easy

Gary

Thanks Gary!
I have one I just pulled out of the smoker doing just exactly as you you described!
I'll let you know how much more practice I need!!
Al

I just got back from Austin Tx from a 3 week work thing and ate at Coopers BBQ. There is a line out the door every day to get their q. It was delicious. I had beef ribs and brisket.

Al its good to see you got a taste of real TX brisket!
I've never eaten at Muellers but it is known to be an amazing bbq house.
They are also very famous for their beef ribs and good TX beef ribs are my favorite over the TX beef brisket!!! :)

After you try this brisket and it comes out awesome I encourage you to get your hands on some Lumberjack 100% mesquite pellets and roll the entire brisket smoke with those going, I think you will blown away!!!

Let us know how it comes out :)

Well??? How was it SmokinAl???

Well the neighbors always show up when they start smelling smoke & I think I really nailed this one. It's the best brisket that I have ever made & my one neighbor said it was the best brisket he has ever eaten.
Course he hasn't been to Meullers!
Al

Al its good to see you got a taste of real TX brisket!
I've never eaten at Muellers but it is known to be an amazing bbq house.
They are also very famous for their beef ribs and good TX beef ribs are my favorite over the TX beef brisket!!! :)

After you try this brisket and it comes out awesome I encourage you to get your hands on some Lumberjack 100% mesquite pellets and roll the entire brisket smoke with those going, I think you will blown away!!!

Let us know how it comes out :)

I will definitely give the mesquite pellets a try next time. Or I will just use mesquite chunks in the charcoal. That to me was the only disappointment in this brisket, it could have had a more pronounced smoke flavor & I think mesquite would give me that!!
Thanks for the help!
Al

Can you give us a summary of details Al? Smoker temp, seasoning? Man, an 11 hour stall, never heard of it lasting that long! Kudos for your determination, and points!

I hope you're gonna post it Al, I got a "Like" here, just looking for a place to land.
A Nice Brisket would fit that Bill easily!!
My imagination isn't what it used to be.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky