Temp Control

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bif

Original poster
Mar 12, 2007
Long Island, NY
Hi,
I have had some trouble maintaining temp on my GOSM charcoal smoker. I have started using lump charcoal, but I am not sure how much to start with. I start with 1 chimney full (it is a smaller size chimney then some I have been seeing recently) and that seems to get me in operating range for about 1 1/2 hours, Does this seem reasonable? I am not sure how to use my vents effectively, any pointers are greatly apreciated.
Thanks,
Bif

i tried lump once, and it sucked for me. i use kingsford briquets. leave the exhaust wide open, and use the firebox damper to control temp. i don't even have a damper in my exhaust stack. i start with my damper about 3/4 closed. i use one chimney of kingsford to get my fire started, then i use oak logs to get my temp up. then i use mesquite or pecan for my smoke. i am talking about the damper that controls intake air into the firebox. hth

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky