Tandoori Chicken Wings

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
The Tandoor ovens apparently can reach temps higher than a commercial pizza oven, close to 900 F, according to one source. So, it is tough to duplicate the char.

For color, I have one Tandoori chicken recipe that calls for using beet juice to duplicate that intense orange-red you see in a good Indian restaurant. I've attached the recipe, in case you want to play around with the beetroot coloring.

Attachments

• Tandori Chicken.pdf
    64.4 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Reactions: jcam222
The Tandoor ovens apparently can reach temps higher than a commercial pizza oven, close to 900 F, according to one source. So, it is tough to duplicate the char.

For color, I have one Tandori chicken recipe that calls for using beet juice to duplicate that intense orange-red you see in a good Indian restaurant. I've attached the recipe, in case you want to play around with the beetroot coloring.
Thanks! Great information!

Reactions: jcam222
6A63B5B4-94A7-4977-9861-FC24C3BE3405.jpeg
A811BB8E-F286-413A-BC8C-FBC536AE0C01.jpeg
You guys gave me the munchies for Indian food. Made some butter chicken tonight with lime cilantro riced cauliflower and fathead dough naan. Keto diet so have to work with it lol.

Reactions: JC in GB
092 test fire.jpg
I really like Tandoori dishes when I go out for Indian food. The spices are delicious. I would like to get something similar at home. This introduces two problems.

First, I don’t have a tandoor. These wonderful ovens are highly specialized and I have been given clear instructions from a higher power that I can not get another cooker. Without one, getting the great texture of Tandoori chicken will be difficult.

Second, She Who Must Be Obeyed doesn’t like really hot food. I would have to give it a full seasoning to get the great taste but hold back on the heat.

Here is my effort.

I used 0.5 kg or about a pound of wing segments.

I put the following in a blender (you could use a food processor):

• 125 ml (1/2 cup) yogurt
  • 3 cloves garlic
  • 12 ml (2 1/2 teaspoons) lemon juice
  • 10 ml (2 teaspoons) ground ginger
  • 10 ml (2 teaspoons) garam masala
  • 5 ml (1 teaspoon) canola oil
  • 4 ml (3/4 teaspoon) paprika
  • 2 ml (1/2 teaspoon) sriracha
  • 1 ml (1/4 teaspoon) cumin
  • 1 ml (1/4 teaspoon) tumeric
  • 0.5 ml (1/8 teaspoon) ground coriander
I pureed it into a smooth paste.

I tossed the wings in it and put them in the fridge, covered, overnight.

I fired my smoker up to 375 F. I shook any excess marinade off and put them in the smoker. I cooked for 15 to 20 minutes, until the wings were browned on one side and then turned them.

I cooked 15 to 20 minutes on the other side and made sure the internal temperature was over 175 F.

I did learn something about my pellet smoker. It was -14 C when I did this cook. Us Canadians are tough! However, while the lid was open to put the chicken in, the temperature of the smoker dropped a lot! So, when I closed it back up, the unit dutifully pumped pellets into the firebox. The fast burn under the plate gave off a lot of direct heat and I almost over-browned the chicken. If I am doing these again in that cold weather, I will use the top rack or will put a rack on a tray and put the chicken on the rack for some protection from the direct heat. I don't have any problem in more normal temperatures.

I put them on a serving plate and let them sit for 5 minutes and served.

The Verdict

These were delicious. Even She Who Must Be Obeyed was pleased. They have a great complex flavour like authentic Tandoori Chicken but weren’t too high in heat. If you wanted more heat you can add more Sriracha but I think you will find there is so much great flavour you won’t need it.

Disco
Looks delicious... I would bet a wood fired oven would get you similar results to a tandoor.

Here is a picture of my oven a couple years ago. Easier to see the fire in this pic.

Reactions: disco
Here is what she looks like today.

Attachments

• 20180717_162927_HDR.jpg
    20180717_162927_HDR.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 15
Wow, looking at cooking up some wings today... Wanting to try something a little different. I'm now torn between these and your Mexican style wings. May have to do half and half. Thanks again my friend for posting these recipes.

Wow, looking at cooking up some wings today... Wanting to try something a little different. I'm now torn between these and your Mexican style wings. May have to do half and half. Thanks again my friend for posting these recipes.
Thanks, Justin! I hope you like them.

Bout to mix up this concoction tonight for wings tomorrow. Hope using plain greek yogurt instead of regular yogurt doesn't completely ruin my life.

In our pre-kid days, my wife and I were very into Indian food. We managed to make a reasonable facsimile of a tandoor in our basement fireplace using a big flower pot (the red clay ones don’t last long, but the thick hand thrown pots (unglazed) really work great).

Basically, we built a fire next to the pot on one side with the pot sitting on a couple splits facing out. As the fire developed, we’d move some to the other side, and add wood gradually until there was fire all around the pot.
Tandoori foods were skewered and the end of the skewer put through the little hole in the bottom of the pot, and propped on a brick in front of the fire. Naan bread was cooked directly on the clay.

We may have to start doing that again..

Disco, if She Who Must Be Obeyed on the next batch finds any discrepancies in your tandoori wings I am in the neighbourhood, I am mobile, and I like them....lol...great job man. ..

In our pre-kid days, my wife and I were very into Indian food. We managed to make a reasonable facsimile of a tandoor in our basement fireplace using a big flower pot (the red clay ones don’t last long, but the thick hand thrown pots (unglazed) really work great).

Basically, we built a fire next to the pot on one side with the pot sitting on a couple splits facing out. As the fire developed, we’d move some to the other side, and add wood gradually until there was fire all around the pot.
Tandoori foods were skewered and the end of the skewer put through the little hole in the bottom of the pot, and propped on a brick in front of the fire. Naan bread was cooked directly on the clay.

We may have to start doing that again..
What great fun! I may have to get adventurous some day.

Disco, if She Who Must Be Obeyed on the next batch finds any discrepancies in your tandoori wings I am in the neighbourhood, I am mobile, and I like them....lol...great job man. ..
No need to wait for her. Start driving. I'll fire up the grill!

Reactions: JC in GB
Sounds like a great recipe. I will try it with thighs. Plus I hadn't thought of using the Kamado thanks jcam222.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky