Sweet corn time!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Wow Ryan, looks like you knocked out a lot of work in a day and brought in quite a haul, nice piece of work! RAY
Thanks Ray, and thanks for the like it's appreciated! Will have corn to eat till next season. Plus plenty to eat off the cob.

Ryan

Awesome job Ryan! I know exactly what kind of work it took for all that corn. But the end results are well worth it! Looks like you had a great crew to get the job done!

Ryan that corn looks phenomenal. It’s impossible to be good fresh sweet corn. On Keto it’s the one thing I miss and simply can’t recreate in any way!! My grandma used to eat the raw beef like that, I am way to afraid I’d end up with food poisoning. Love the BLT too, my tomatoes should be coming on soon. Been picking cherry tomatoes for about a week but the big ones are still green.
Thanks, I appreciate it! The only place we buy ground round is from our small town grocery, they have their grinder in the meat cooler, been selling it since I was little with no issues...not that it couldn't. We have plenty of green maters also, but they're coming.

Ryan

Reactions: jcam222
What a great post.
Loved reading it.
You’ve got a great setup.
Thanks for posting
Thanks 2mac, its appreciated! I'm spoiled now, shop was 69 degrees with no flies...as a kid we sat out in front of the house in the blaring sun dealing with flies while we husked

Ryan

Awesome job Ryan! I know exactly what kind of work it took for all that corn. But the end results are well worth it! Looks like you had a great crew to get the job done!
Thanks Travis, I appreciate it! And having good help makes a world of difference ! Should go pick a green mater from the garden for fried green tomatoes...but that first ripe one sure was good!

Ryan

Thanks Travis, I appreciate it! And having good help makes a world of difference ! Should go pick a green mater from the garden for fried green tomatoes...but that first ripe one sure was good!

Ryan
Yep....nothing like that first ripe one! The green are good too.. We always do a few while we are waiting for them to get ripe......but when the season ends ...thats when we realy start doing a bunch of the green ones. They wont make it before frost so we eat a lot of fried green tomatoes lol!

Awesome!!!
I was wondering how you got all that work done, but then I saw your 3 helpers in the last picture!!
Great Deal Too---For Walleyes!!
Like.

Bear

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Awesome!!!
I was wondering how you got all that work done, but then I saw your 3 helpers in the last picture!!
Great Deal Too---For Walleyes!!
Like.

Bear
Thanks Bear, I appreciate it! My buddy is an avid fisherman so we enjoy the exchange. And the dogs love their corn, just wished they would have kept coons out this year...saved me from putting up electric fence, but they are getting older.

Ryan

Hard to beat fresh homegrown sweet corn! I used to
help out at a relative’s farm when I was younger doing this. A lot of work but definitely worth it!

Hard to beat fresh homegrown sweet corn! I used to
help out at a relative’s farm when I was younger doing this. A lot of work but definitely worth it!
Thank you, and thanks for the like I appreciate it! It sure is good and juicy...had more tonight with leftover brisket, seemed to squirt myself in the eye and glasses with juice. Wife sure thought it was funny :emoji_laughing:

Ryan

• Haha
Reactions: xray
The sweet corn in my area won't be ready for a couple of weeks, and a bunch of us make a group buy from one farmer. The hands start picking at sunrise and we can load by 10, and everyone has theirs in hand over the next few hours. This years order will be 120+ dozen.

You have an interesting method, we've always blanched on the cob (4 or 5 at a time for 5 minutes), then cut the kernels off those ears while the next 4 or 5 ears are blanching. I like blanched corn for salsas, bean and corn salad or as a quick side dish.

We do most of ours un-blanched and off the cob. This is used for any sauteed or fried dish, pot pies, soups, stews, chowders etc., or anything were the corn is cooked with the dish.

The sweet corn in my area won't be ready for a couple of weeks, and a bunch of us make a group buy from one farmer. The hands start picking at sunrise and we can load by 10, and everyone has theirs in hand over the next few hours. This years order will be 120+ dozen.

You have an interesting method, we've always blanched on the cob (4 or 5 at a time for 5 minutes), then cut the kernels off those ears while the next 4 or 5 ears are blanching. I like blanched corn for salsas, bean and corn salad or as a quick side dish.

We do most of ours un-blanched and off the cob. This is used for any sauteed or fried dish, pot pies, soups, stews, chowders etc., or anything were the corn is cooked with the dish.
That's a bunch of corn! Just out of curiosity, what does he charge by the dozen? Growing up we just blanched it on the cob like you said. But after getting married it's done this way now, not that I mind at all. Wife's family did it this way for as long as I know, with the little bit of lemon juice it comes out as fresh as the day it went in the bags.

Ryan

That's a bunch of corn! Just out of curiosity, what does he charge by the dozen? Growing up we just blanched it on the cob like you said. But after getting married it's done this way now, not that I mind at all. Wife's family did it this way for as long as I know, with the little bit of lemon juice it comes out as fresh as the day it went in the bags.

Ryan

I think the actual selling price is $4.50/dz but we have to drive to get it, a 250 mile round trip. So some fuel money is factored in to that making the charge per person an odd amount like $4.56 so most folks will round up their cost of their order, say $18.24 would round up to $19. Now, the drop-off point is a bar parking lot and in pre-COVID years there were some free drinks for the driver and helpers who counted out each person's order.

The same corn is $6 a dozen if locals want to pick-up at the farm, and in the grocery store in town, they have separate bins with 3 or 4 farmers names on them (most people buy from a specific farmer) and the price there is $5 or $5.50/dozen so I think we buy for the 'store price'.

I think the actual selling price is $4.50/dz but we have to drive to get it, a 250 mile round trip. So some fuel money is factored in to that making the charge per person an odd amount like $4.56 so most folks will round up their cost of their order, say $18.24 would round up to $19. Now, the drop-off point is a bar parking lot and in pre-COVID years there were some free drinks for the driver and helpers who counted out each person's order.

The same corn is $6 a dozen if locals want to pick-up at the farm, and in the grocery store in town, they have separate bins with 3 or 4 farmers names on them (most people buy from a specific farmer) and the price there is $5 or $5.50/dozen so I think we buy for the 'store price'.
I was just curious, a guy from Nebraska comes to a local town, usually the first to have corn for sale and charges $8 a dozen and sells out fairly quickly, but most haven't had any since last year.

Ryan

I would love to be able to get corn that fresh down here!
Al
I would love to send you all you wanted if it was at all feasible! We still have plenty. Thanks for the like I appreciate it!

Ryan

I was just curious, a guy from Nebraska comes to a local town, usually the first to have corn for sale and charges $8 a dozen and sells out fairly quickly, but most haven't had any since last year.

Ryan
We get out of state growers at the farmers market from Colorado, and Nebraska and the $8 a dozen about right, but they bring other produce and travel a lot farther. We have two growers locally, one even allows you to pick your own which is fun for a family afternoon.... but the place we buy from is noticeably better.

Reactions: Brokenhandle
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky