Advise?!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Rafter H BBQ

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 18, 2013
S.E. Idaho
Hey all, as some of you know… we lost my MIL mid Dec ‘23… my FIL passed around the same time in ‘17… (RIP my second Mom and Dad) that hit my fam hard… especially my wife and kids to lose them at that time of the year of any… they were wonderful and awesome folks… willing to help anyone…

Anyway, they have some antiques and collectibles that we absolutely adore and will not part with…

But with others… antique wise…
Looking to sell some things… Any recommendations on a collector site that purchases antiques, jewelry and other things that don’t charge a HUGE commission?

Thanks in advance…

First sorry for you and your family's loss. My wife is/was going through some of the same things with antiques her parents had.

What she found out was A) the market is flooded with antiques and B) there are fewer and fewer people buying antiques, esp younger folks.

The items my wife and her brother have in storage is more or less not worth much as no one wants antiques any longer.

Hopefully antiques are more popular in your area and get better information than my wife and bil received.

I think she contacted some of the better antique dealers in the Charlotte area and no one wanted the items.

Reactions: Rafter H BBQ
First sorry for you and your family's loss. My wife is/was going through some of the same things with antiques her parents had.

What she found out was A) the market is flooded with antiques and B) there are fewer and fewer people buying antiques, esp younger folks.

The items my wife and her brother have in storage is more or less not worth much as no one wants antiques any longer.

Hopefully antiques are more popular in your area and get better information than my wife and bil received.

I think she contacted some of the better antique dealers in the Charlotte area and no one wanted the items.

Appreciate the condolences… I’d rather have them than the stuff…

Thank you for reaching out and for the info… that may be the case here… not sure yet!

Reactions: JLeonard
Yes... Sorry for the loss of the loved ones.. It's always hard...

The antique business has gone to shit... as y'all said.. the younger generation could care less... And that's sad... I can't imagine what's going to happen to the antiques out there...

Hey Buddy! You know my heart goes out to you, Nicole, and the family. Loss is always tough, but even harder for kids.

Don't know how much stuff you need to sell, but when we went through this - first with my parents, then with Mrs. Red's dad, we contracted with an estate sale company to handle all that. The most recent was all the contents of Mrs. Red's parent's house - including a bunch of antiques. Only drawback is they took a healthy bite - 30% commission on everything. But the good thing was, they handled everything. Janet, her mom and sister didn't have to worry about any of it. They had a sale, sold everything in the house, and sent a check for everything minus their cut.

Red

Hey Buddy! You know my heart goes out to you, Nicole, and the family. Loss is always tough, but even harder for kids.

Don't know how much stuff you need to sell, but when we went through this - first with my parents, then with Mrs. Red's dad, we contracted with an estate sale company to handle all that. The most recent was all the contents of Mrs. Red's parent's house - including a bunch of antiques. Only drawback is they took a healthy bite - 30% commission on everything. But the good thing was, they handled everything. Janet, her mom and sister didn't have to worry about any of it. They had a sale, sold everything in the house, and sent a check for everything minus their cut.

Red

Thanks buddy… for the condolences… sure appreciate it! I will chat with Nic on your recommendation!

Yes... Sorry for the loss of the loved ones.. It's always hard...

The antique business has gone to shit... as y'all said.. the younger generation could care less... And that's sad... I can't imagine what's going to happen to the antiques out there...
Condolences for your loss, but as Keith said, there isn't much of an antiques market any longer. Antiques used to be a big thing here in town. Antique shops on every corner back in the day, but they have all went out of business.

Sorry to hear of your families loss.

Thank you Rick…

He saved some folks in the Army from what I understood… he never talked about it that much! 🤷🏼‍♂️

He was a good man… I miss them both!

Last edited:
Hi Justin, I know we had mentioned this before. Sorry for you and Nicole's loss.
And never good at anytime . But that time of year is never good to have on your minds.

It has been a tough year , as we also lost since Sept 4 very close family and friends. Tough to get them out of your mind.

As for your / their belongings, it is the same up here. The antique shops were everywhere. Now very few and far between.
I am finding more of the smalls ( smaller items ) are still very collectable , just not the big furniture.

I think what Red seenred seenred mentioned is a very good option if you find a reputable one. Because some are for lack of a better word. " Thieves "

But like Red said, they are hands on , do all the work and send money when finished. I big part of the money , but they are doing all the work.

Good luck on this, and I bet hard on Nicole dealing with the loss and then getting rid of the items .
But never the memories.

David

Thanks to all who took the time to drop a line… I am personally NOT a fan of the way our world is going… In my opinion it’s a spiraling out of control shit show… Just my 2 cents… likely get some change back… but I’ll always voice my opinion! Not that it matters… but I’ll voice it! 🤷🏼‍♂️

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Sorry about your folks. I'm in the same boat, as my in-laws are very close family and they're aging a bit these days.

One thing you might consider is getting things appraised. Chose the items that you think are most valuable and have them appraised. Then set up a website take lots of good pictures and pass it around on social media (I grimace as I say that because I HATE pretty much every form of SM except for a small group of people that like to BBQ).

Depends on how much effort you're willing to put in, but if you do have some valuable items and you're not in hurry to get rid of it all...might be worth while.

Sorry to hear this Justin. It's never easy. As folks mentioned above make sure you get a REPUTABLE estate auction company. A friend of mine was told he could expect one amount and when the final tally came in it was about half of what they promised.

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky