SV Why are the 'die hards' so afraid of Sous Vide?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I did get the Wifi Inkbird SV circulator advertised in the meat thermometers forum a few weeks ago so I can SV and smoke at the same time and the price was great. I usually do tougher cuts over 24 hour SV cooks with the PID and analog 6 qt Crockpot. I see convection currents in the water and have had nothing but great results with this set up and never stirred. I just took the handle off the glass lid to run the probe through and secured with two spring clothes pins. One on each side off the lid. I do half gallon yogurt batches in the 3 qt slow cooker. Give the SV crockpot a shot. No bad results or news yet. One of my first Ribeye Crockpot with PID SV cooks made the carousel but as I mentioned I mostly stick with tougher cuts to SV.

I did get the Wifi Inkbird SV circulator advertised in the meat thermometers forum a few weeks ago so I can SV and smoke at the same time and the price was great. I usually do tougher cuts over 24 hour SV cooks with the PID and analog 6 qt Crockpot. I see convection currents in the water and have had nothing but great results with this set up and never stirred. I just took the handle off the glass lid to run the probe through and secured with two spring clothes pins. One on each side off the lid. I do half gallon yogurt batches in the 3 qt slow cooker. Give the SV crockpot a shot. No bad results or news yet. One of my first Ribeye Crockpot with PID SV cooks made the carousel but as I mentioned I mostly stick with tougher cuts to SV.

That's encouraging to hear. Thank you.

I see a couple of attitudes similar to mine, so here is a short on my Take:

SV is another tool in the tool box---Not the End-All, but not one I want to be without.
I don't know any other method that can turn an "Eye Round" or a "Chuck Roast" into a "Prime Rib-Like" piece of Meat. Yes it takes 21 hours to turn the Eye Round or 30 hours to turn the Chucky into that Awesome Pink colored, Tender, Juicy hunk of meat, but I can wait, especially when that Hunk of Meat only cost me about $3 to $4 per pound.

I tried SV on a lot of things, and IMHO, it's mainly for the tougher cuts & the Lean cuts of Meat.
I would rather just Smoke my Prime Rib, and I would rather just Grill my Ribeye, but if I want my Eye Round or Chucky to end up like an Awesome Med-Rare Tender Steak, I'm going with the Sous Vide Game!!! You gotta sear it afterwards, or it will be pale & ugly directly from the SV, but who cares. You can smoke it a little before you SV it too, if you like, but it's the SV that made it Tender.

Some things, like Fish, Shrimp, Scallops, and Lobster Tail, I want them to be safe for my particular health, so I want them to get to 140° IT, but not much more, so I've been using SV, because that puts it at EXACTLY 140° (give or take a half of a Degree).
If I'm making any of those things any other way, the only way I can be sure of getting it to 140° IT is to take it over 140°.

Well, That's the Short of it, but there's lots more. I'm sure I'll never learn all of it.

Bear

Many great points here!

And agreed - The SV is just another tool in the arsenal (that I wouldn't want to be without)
I would say by FAR my favorite thing to cook in the SV (thus far) are pork chops. Pork chops are a little tricky on the grill to get them 'perfect' and not under or over done. The SV does this magically every time and the family LOVES them cooked this way.

So much in fact that my woman said she is glad her momma lives in another state. Cause those chops were so good she would be slapping her :emoji_laughing:

I could see pork chops for sure b/c like the person above me said, they can be tricky on the grill. For my personal tastes on beef, I like the char steak better. I was never a real fan of prime rib. I will always order the steak before that.

Reactions: NU2SMOKE
I sous vide pork and chicken breasts because those are the hardest for me to cook and get right. They turn out much more tender and juicy. I just did a round eye that was very good.

Reactions: SGMan and chopsaw
For me a SV doesn't currently fit my needs. I smoke mostly in volume...
And you can only have time, to do so much.

Reactions: SGMan
I don't have a SV, not because I'm against it or anybody who uses one. I don't have one for the same reason I don't collect baseball cards---I simply have exactly zero interest in it.
Gary

funny, that's exactly how i feel about golf. :)

but if i was told collecting baseball cards, or even wearing pink underwear, could almost guarantee a consistently well cooked piece of meat, i'd definitely be open to trying it (even the pink).

funny, that's exactly how i feel about golf. :)

but if i was told collecting baseball cards, or even wearing pink underwear, could almost guarantee a consistently well cooked piece of meat, i'd definitely be open to trying it (even the pink).

Good Points!!
Bear

Steve; If you use your PID with a crock pot please let me know how it works out. The nerd in me is curious about this.

Last night I got a chance to try out the PID as a SV. I used a large Presto 1500 Watt multi cooker. During the test I never stirred the water. The results were encouraging. I set the PID for 150. Which appears to be about the norm for cooking with the SV. With the first run the temp overshot to 154. After a few tweaks and auto tune. I tried again. This time the temp came up to 151. Then settled to 149. After I return from vacation I'm going to do a small eye of round roast to see how it works.

P6062288.JPG

I put the PID thermocouple and one InkBIrd thermocouple in the center. And spaced the other 3 three were spaced around the cooker.

1.jpg

I didn't record the graphs. But the ramp up to the temp looked good. And the PID cycled properly to maintain the 149. This was a fun little build. And I look forward to turning a Eye of round into Prime Rib!

Yes a slow cooker with a controller will work, anything that could be cooked wouldn't know it wasn't in a SV, the reason they circulate water is because of the small area of the heater, the crock pot is surrounded by heat and there's no need to circulate . IMO the crock pot is more versatile with less heat loss and quicker recovery times. I will wait on a factory crockpot/SV unit I think lol

Yes a slow cooker with a controller will work, anything that could be cooked wouldn't know it wasn't in a SV, the reason they circulate water is because of the small area of the heater, the crock pot is surrounded by heat and there's no need to circulate . IMO the crock pot is more versatile with less heat loss and quicker recovery times. I will wait on a factory crockpot/SV unit I think lol
i just used the Inkbird wifi advertised here on SMF and it worked great. I have a big aluminum pot and lid I made a cut out for the immersion circulator. Since the metal is paper thin I insulated the pot. After a 30 hour chuck roast the circulator had a lot of calcification and the pot had crystal white deposits adhered to the wall and bottom of the pot. Seems heavy but maybe normal with a little water loss. Nothing like this at all with the PID crockpot SV. I looked up metal containers for SV and no mention with just water reacting with alum. At 135°. Anyone have white crystalline deposits on their metal vessels? No directions really with this circulator just a pamphlet and I inquired about info on the meat thermometer forum that this SV was advertised on. How many hours before descaling the circulator?
20190604_100806.jpg

Reactions: Inkbirdbbq
i just used the Inkbird wifi advertised here on SMF and it worked great. I have a big aluminum pot and lid I made a cut out for the immersion circulator. Since the metal is paper thin I insulated the pot. After a 30 hour chuck roast the circulator had a lot of calcification and the pot had crystal white deposits adhered to the wall and bottom of the pot. Seems heavy but maybe normal with a little water loss. Nothing like this at all with the PID crockpot SV. I looked up metal containers for SV and no mention with just water reacting with alum. At 135°. Anyone have white crystalline deposits on their metal vessels? No directions really with this circulator just a pamphlet and I inquired about info on the meat thermometer forum that this SV was advertised on. How many hours before descaling the circulator?
View attachment 397873

My Sous Vide Supreme is all metal, and it never gets any deposits on it, but no water ever evaporates from it either. There is no circulator in it either.

Bear

I have pretty hard water at my house . I'll throw some white vinegar in the water after a cook and let it run . Maybe every 4th time . I don't get anything in the pot , just on the inside of the anova . I use stainless steel or plastic .

Hey, if you like the SV deal go for it. As for me and my style it just does not interest me. I prefer a charcoal grill and my stick burner. Will never own a pellet grill either. That’s why I live in a free country. I do what I want and cook any way I want. The way I see it. If they don’t like your cooking style, tell em to kiss your ass! LOL!!

My Sous Vide Supreme is all metal, and it never gets any deposits on it, but no water ever evaporates from it either. There is no circulator in it either.

Bear
The setup for crockpot SV I've been using for 1.5 years is like yours, no circulation, the same temp everywhere whether you touch the wall or not with a therm but its only 6qt. No water loss since the sensor goes through the hole in the glass lid where you remove the handle and condensation cascades back into the crock. I love it, but wanted to smoke with the PID and SV. I looked for info, but being a new product Inkbird threw in as a sponsor here I'm not impressed with the vagueness before their releasing, Inkbird has no manual. Nothing on the site that this is their product. I have a cooler and 4 gal food grade curing vessel I can use to SV but just want directions from the Mfr. Regarding their product (instruction manual) before voiding their one year warranty.

The setup for crockpot SV I've been using for 1.5 years is like yours, no circulation, the same temp everywhere whether you touch the wall or not with a therm but its only 6qt. No water loss since the sensor goes through the hole in the glass lid where you remove the handle and condensation cascades back into the crock. I love it, but wanted to smoke with the PID and SV. I looked for info, but being a new product Inkbird threw in as a sponsor here I'm not impressed with the vagueness before their releasing, Inkbird has no manual. Nothing on the site that this is their product. I have a cooler and 4 gal food grade curing vessel I can use to SV but just want directions from the Mfr. Regarding their product (instruction manual) before voiding their one year warranty.

"Sous Vide Supreme" has a Great Web Site too.
If you want to check it out & a mess of their recipes, with an interactive Index, just search "Sous Vide Supreme".

Bear

"Sous Vide Supreme" has a Great Web Site too.
If you want to check it out & a mess of their recipes, with an interactive Index, just search "Sous Vide Supreme".

Bear
Thanks Bear! I researched a ton with SV before getting in. I have Baldwins online book because I like pasteurizing. Like I did with Mes smokers for 6 months before I pulled the trigger in 2015 before BT. MB had a fraction of similar smokers but before the wave of hybrids. At least I see at a glance what gen it is. I will release from this thread and PM Inkbirdbbq Inkbirdbbq . There's an instruction manual somewhere.

Reactions: Inkbirdbbq
Thanks Bear! I researched a ton with SV before getting in. I have Baldwins online book because I like pasteurizing. Like I did with Mes smokers for 6 months before I pulled the trigger in 2015 before BT. MB had a fraction of similar smokers but before the wave of hybrids. At least I see at a glance what gen it is. I will release from this thread and PM Inkbirdbbq Inkbirdbbq . There's an instruction manual somewhere.
PM back to you and will send you the sous vide user manual.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky