Sous Vide first timer

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JLeonard

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Apr 17, 2020
Southaven, MS
So I’ve broken into sous vide. Haley, hecXCV hecXCV , (my daughter) got me a Crux unit for Father’s Day. I bought a Everie container off Amazon. It came with the sleeve and rack. Nice little set up.
first run I tried a couple of pork loin roast.
DC2737C1-C7B1-45C4-8F06-3778862DAF65.jpeg
Used the Inkbirdbbq Inkbirdbbq vac sealer to bag them.
A00F5858-13F8-4B74-B798-52EE1C285DA4.jpeg
into the sous vide container at 149 degrees for a 4 bath.
A452F8DB-C7A0-458B-8EEB-D19FB898455F.jpeg
gonna have to modify the lid a little. Wouldn’t close down down around the unit.
out and into the CI for a sear. Gonna have to work on my sear skills a little.
34523339-B3BA-4770-8D27-404554DB11EF.jpeg
I will say…. this is the most tender and moist loin I have ever cooked! Perfectly cooked. Now I’m ready to try a steak. The wife and mother in law are asking about seafood. May have to try some lobster tails and shrimp next.
thanks for looking. And thanks Bearcarver Bearcarver for his great write ups and step by steps and for answering my questions on PM.
Jim

Looks good Jim. I find that the SV is not good for everything, but what it’s good at there is no comparison.

I’ve done seafood, I would rather boil or grill, I’ve done chicken, not a fan. But beef and pork are incredible. SV also is how I finish my sausages now, from snack sticks to 5” bologna. It is superior in finishing.

Reactions: DougE and JLeonard
Looks great Jim . You'll be hooked for sure .
I just did an anise cure pork loin . Think Italian ham .
I did 140 for 4 hours . Makes a fantastic hot sandwich .

I do SV fried chicken with bone in thighs . It's fantastic .

Put the Mississippi pot roast on the list too .

Looks great Jim . You'll be hooked for sure .
I just did an anise cure pork loin . Think Italian ham .
I did 140 for 4 hours . Makes a fantastic hot sandwich .

I do SV fried chicken with bone in thighs . It's fantastic .

Put the Mississippi pot roast on the list too .
Did you post the anise cure pork loin? Sounds delicious.

Reactions: JLeonard
Congrats on the new SV unit they are great for a lot of things. It looks awesome nice first with it. I have started using the cast iron frying pan to sear a lot of what I SV it works great and I get to stay in the house out of the heat while doing it. Steaks come out very good using the souse vide unit I do ours at 130 for 2 hours then sear usually a very quick sear on the wife's she likes them still mooing and a bit more on mine to get it a little more done.
If you like salads Cesar or regular I'd suggest some chicken breasts skin off put them in at 150 degrees for 4 hours then since you cut them up into chunks searing is optional. I usually do 10-15 at a time then vacuum seal individually and freeze, easy to defrost one when we want a salad then just cut into chunks and add to the salad. A neighbor likes to get them from me and shred them then simmer in bbq sauce a couple hours and have pulled chicken sandwiches.

I’m new to the forum. I just got my GMG DB pellet grill. But I’m not new with my Anova SV. You will find that many things are both easier and better with SV as part of the cook. Some of you are cooking longer than my experience tells me I need to. But the beauty of SV, is that it won’t overcook, and it can be held for extra time at the perfect temp. I have done everything from HB and Poached eggs to steaks.

One of the best uses of your SV, is to reheat. You can seal anything just about in a bag and reheat it accurately without continuing to cook or dry out your meal. You can reconstitute it at the same time! Adding just a little Coca Cola to the bag will add moisture. But adding butter or even better, tallow, will make leftover brisket from the fridge taste better than it did out of the smoker! I cooked a brisket two days ago and it was great. But I sliced the cold brisket, bagged it, put a half TBS of smoked wagyu beef tallow on each side of the slices in the bag. I chopped it when done and it was probably the best chopped brisket sandwiches I have ever had.

Imagine a whole Chateaubriand cooked to the perfect temp edge to edge, end to end, and finished in butter in the CI with your favorite aromatics. And best of all, it’s ready when you are! Here’s a tenderloin filet, and it was perfect!
AD982AF1-7D37-4AF5-A345-E3C820412971.jpeg

Happy Sous Viding!

• Wow
Thanks for the ideas folks. The wife laughs at me and my new cooking “toys” And you enablers on here feeding my addiction. But she enjoys what I cook and is my biggest fan. So I got a win in all categories.
Jim

No better way to do beef.

Attachments

• rib-roast-5.jpg
    rib-roast-5.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 12
  • tritip2.jpg
    tritip2.jpg
    220.9 KB · Views: 13
  • vday-1.jpg
    vday-1.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 15
So I’ve broken into sous vide. Haley, hecXCV hecXCV , (my daughter) got me a Crux unit for Father’s Day. I bought a Everie container off Amazon. It came with the sleeve and rack. Nice little set up.
first run I tried a couple of pork loin roast.
View attachment 635994
Used the Inkbirdbbq Inkbirdbbq vac sealer to bag them.
View attachment 635995
into the sous vide container at 149 degrees for a 4 bath.
View attachment 635996
gonna have to modify the lid a little. Wouldn’t close down down around the unit.
out and into the CI for a sear. Gonna have to work on my sear skills a little.
View attachment 635997
I will say…. this is the most tender and moist loin I have ever cooked! Perfectly cooked. Now I’m ready to try a steak. The wife and mother in law are asking about seafood. May have to try some lobster tails and shrimp next.
thanks for looking. And thanks Bearcarver Bearcarver for his great write ups and step by steps and for answering my questions on PM.
Jim

That's Great, Jim!!
I'm glad you're getting into SV!!
I'll bet that Loin was really good!! Like.
I got a couple quick tips, you may or may not need;
When you vacuum a bag for SV, get as much air as out you can, or some of the things will try to float!!
And when searing, a torch you'll find is best for getting low spots & edges.

Bear

You’re going to love shrimp. It’s a game changer. Veggies, too, especially carrots. And Bearcarver Bearcarver is right about using a torch. It’s a great way to sear but you don’t get the charcoal flavor. The rest of it is so good, though, you won’t notice.

Also interested...Mississippi Pot Roast, too!
I'll get the info on the pork and post it in a thread .

Looks great Jim! You'll love your SV... and a personal preference of what you like and don't like.

Ryan

Reactions: chopsaw
I'll get the info on the pork and post it in a thread .
Thanks, I love this pot roast!

Reactions: chopsaw
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky