SV Why are the 'die hards' so afraid of Sous Vide?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Wow! Thank you for those. Excellent descriptions. My wife LOVES prime rib. I really need to try this!

We can tie this together and keep on topic.

Microwaves are awesome tools, but most people don't have a clue about their use. Most people just turn it on with no regard for power settings or wattage yet complain about poor results. That's like trying to smoke @500f° and wonder why your end results suck. Dial back the power and let it cook a little longer, you just might be surprised. Really helps reduce the molten outside/frozen center issue too.

I see the same thing with the new SV owners to a different extreme. Over and under cooking is a big problem because they don't understand food-theory and temperature/time relationships for the collagens to render. Too little time and its tough, too long and its mush.

That "Serious Eats" website is a great place to start for folks new to Sous Vide. They really describe the theory well, and go into food safety issues extensively as well as lots of recipes and how-to descriptions for various foods.

As for microwave ovens, I couldn't agree more.

A magnetron is an interesting device. We studied them back in that microwave class I had in about 1977. I always had it in my mind that to get them to oscillate, you might have to start and run them at full power. And that explained why microwave ovens only cycle them full-on and full-off when you adjust the duty cycle with the knob, slider, or keypad. You can hear the system switch on and off, and usually see the lights in the oven dim when the tube is actually fired up and irradiating the food.

And that's less than ideal. What you'd really like to have is a way to actually adjust the power output of the tube continuously, so you'd get more even power. That would be gentler.

And now I see "inverter" type microwave ovens on the market, and reading up a bit, I see that they are, indeed, adjusting the power output of the magentron!

That should be a lot nicer than hitting the food with full power for 15 seconds, then switching it off for 15 seconds over and over. The next microwave oven I get will certainly be one with the inverter technology. I also insist on a rotating turntable as well.

The first person I ever knew who got a microwave oven was a friend's folks. His dad was a doctor, and they had money! This would have been in the early '70s, or perhaps late '60s.

I remember that we just had to experiment with it.

We put a bar of his mom's fancy soap in the oven, and it appeared to do nothing... for a while! Then it suddenly expelled its insides out through a hole, and left a shell of soap. We just put that back where we found it. ;)

Next, we put a raw egg in the oven. We turned it on, and waited.

After the time expired (I think it was 30 seconds or a minute), his dad walked in. He looked at the egg, felt it, and said that it wasn't done yet, so HE put it back in and set the timer again and walked out of the kitchen. About the time he exited the room: BOOM! Covered the inside of the oven with scrambled egg! We were so glad it was he that had put it back in the oven! :)

I do find having a microwave oven indispensable. But you do have to think about what's going on, and adjust the power to something that matches the size and impedance of the load as well as its ability to absorb the radiation.

I often read the instructions on a frozen meal and then modify it. I don't like being bothered to cook it on high, then open and stir and then replace it and hit it hard again. Instead, I adjust the power level to something that I figure will integrate to the same total power delivered, and then cook it all in one step at that lower power. I'd rather wait longer than have to do the stirring.

But I also appreciate how stirring something occasionally is often the only way to get it done evenly.

I do eggs sometimes. I just crack the eggs into a Corel bowl, add a bit of milk and a bit of butter, and stir/whip them. Then I put them in the nuke, and give them full power while watching. When the surface starts to cook, I open the oven and stir well. Then back in for another 10 to 15 seconds, then another stir. I repeat that until I get the stiffness of scrambled egg that I want.

I wonder if one of the inverter type units would make that better.

And I've done brownie mix in a coffee mug. You just have to watch it and stir it once. It's not like a normal brownie, but it's not bad. Some ice cream on top, and a spoon, and you're set!

Cookie dough works the same way. Just do a single serving, and watch it, giving it short bursts. Again, I wonder if an inverter microwave oven might allow this to be done more evenly and better.

Crud! Now I NEED to get me a new microwave oven with the inverter! ;)

Wow! Thank you for those. Excellent descriptions. My wife LOVES prime rib. I really need to try this!

Since you never Smoked a Prime Rib, you won't believe how easy it is.
I swear it's the easiest thing I ever Smoke, and with the Biggest Reward.
Your wife will Love it!!
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

As for microwave ovens, I couldn't agree more.

A magnetron is an interesting device. We studied them back in that microwave class I had in about 1977.
I got my start at the microwave test equipment division of Hewlett-Packard in 1973. We built klystron generators which produced exactly the same frequency as a microwave oven. I had to take a safety course the first day on the job and what I learned gave me a lot of respect for what microwaves can do.

And, speaking of the magnetron, I still have the first microwave oven that I bought in late 1978, an Amana. I use it as a backup or when we sometimes "need" two microwaves when reheating several leftovers as once.

The reason I still have it and use it is that its magnetron died about twenty-five years ago and I found a cheap, generic magnetron replacement in a catalog (this was before the Internet). It was the simplest repair of all time (just remember to discharge the capacitor!), although I don't think it ever quite had the same power (probably 85% of what it was).

I then pulled it apart (which apparently you are not supposed to do) and pulled out two of the most amazingly strong magnets I've ever encountered. My daughter ended up using it in a science project to levitate a spinning disc for a project where you were supposed to design a disc that would spin for a long time.

Reactions: sigmo and S-met
We can tie this together and keep on topic.

Microwaves are awesome tools, but most people don't have a clue about their use. Most people just turn it on with no regard for power settings or wattage yet complain about poor results. That's like trying to smoke @500f° and wonder why your end results suck. Dial back the power and let it cook a little longer, you just might be surprised. Really helps reduce the molten outside/frozen center issue too.

I see the same thing with the new SV owners to a different extreme. Over and under cooking is a big problem because they don't understand food-theory and temperature/time relationships for the collagens to render. Too little time and its tough, too long and its mush.

Well said about microwaves, I repaired residential and commercial ovens for several years and totally understand power settings. High should only be used for very short periods (30-60 seconds) or for boiling water! I have gotten somewhat lazy and tend to reheat stuff mostly and that is at 60-70% power or defrost at 10-20% power. My biggest problem was explaining this to every customer for years, should have recorded it and just played it back.

Funny story, a lot of times I would be greeted at the front door by a child screaming "The microwave man is here Yea!" apparently Mom became too dependent on the darn thing. :emoji_laughing:

Last edited:
Reactions: sigmo
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky