Superbowl winning ribs...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hunter rose

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Feb 7, 2015
Plano, TX
Had to post some winning ribs at the Superbowl party. This was only 3 of 6 racks...

20200202_180434.jpg

That's a nice-looking plate of ribs! Care to share the details? What'd you cook 'em on, what cooking temp, your rub, your sauce (if used), did you wrap...etc, etc. We like details!! :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_wink:

Red

That's a nice-looking plate of ribs! Care to share the details? What'd you cook 'em on, what cooking temp, your rub, your sauce (if used), did you wrap...etc, etc. We like details!! :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_wink:

Red
Pellet smoked with a blend of Cherry, Maple, Pecan and Hickory. Rubbed the night before with my own pig rub (hopefully available publicly this year), but it is a sweet heat profile. Mostly a 3-2-1 rib, but I find the Smithfield babyback ribs can go a bit longer in the foil. So... 3 hours on the smoker, bone side down - keeping them moist every 45 minutes with apple juice, 2 1/2 hours in the foil. They are foiled with some apple juice, margarine, brown sugar, honey and more rub. Place on the smoker bone side up. Off the smoker, mopped with my sauce and placed on the smoker for 45 minutes to an hour until they have the tenderness I like. I was going for tender but just shy of fall of the bone because I knew I would have to cut them up to plate them for "finger" foods. Served with sauce on the side.

Reactions: seenred
I am upgrading from my Masterbuilt smoker that i have used for 5 years. Leaning toward the Grilla Silverbac as it has 2 settings on the controller Pro (varies the temp so more smoke) and PID (holds temp less smoke) and the RecTeq 590. the usable space is about the same, the Silberbac comes with an upper rack RecTeq no price posted, but extra cost. Both only sell over the internet and drop ship. I see lots of postings on this forum about the 590, mostly positive, however the RecTeq forum has several NEGATIVE reviews. Not a lot of Negative reviews anywhere on the Silverbac. Tricked out with front shelf, and cover they are a few pennies cost difference. both free shipping. Looking for a tie breaking recommendation.

I have the Silverbac and am VERY happy with it. I have a stick burner as well, but this is my "go to" smoker for any long or overnight cooks. VERY well made. A Traeger in comparison feels like a tin can. Great staff at corporate as well and a terriffic FB page of Grilla users. I also chose between a RecTec at the time of purchase. I chose Grilla because they were a steel fabricator that then started making the smokers on the side. You can tell that in the heavy duty steel everything. I don't have the PID controller because I think you get more smoke with slightly bigger swings on the pellet smokers, but I think the new Silverbac gives you the option of either. The shelf could be useful. I don't have it. I do have the extension for a full second shelf and I purchased the Grill Grates.

Grilla iseomendin that I purchase the Grilla OG, if I will be using it only for smoking. did you consider he OG or just the Silverbac? ow is the smoke flavor on long smokes with the silverbac? what pellets do you use?

I did consider the OG. It has less room for cooking, but the most unique design. I like Lumberjack pellets. If you need more smoke, which would be a primary reason for the OG, you could always add a smoke tube or maze. It is not as much smoke as a charcoal/stick burner, but sometimes that is dirty white billowy smoke. Lots of smoke is not always a good thing either. I find a lot of people overdo it thinking lots of smoke means lots of flavor. Like your spices, the combo has to be balanced.

I am accustomed to the smoke flavor and smell from my Master built smokers. Heavy smoke for the first few minutes, after that whispy smoke. For your long slow cooks do you get a good smoky flavor? So the people eating your food know it was smoked, and not from a gas grill? Have you used the Char Hickory blend of pellets?

I am accustomed to the smoke flavor and smell from my Master built smokers. Heavy smoke for the first few minutes, after that whispy smoke. For your long slow cooks do you get a good smoky flavor? So the people eating your food know it was smoked, and not from a gas grill? Have you used the Char Hickory blend of pellets?
Don't know what Master Built units you have to suggest methods on getting the "thin blue smoke" that is desirable for longer cooks.
I use my Master Built pellet grill for heat as it produces billows of white smoke in smoke mode.
I use a smoke tube.
I tried Lumber Jack Char-Hickory pellets once. I was not thrilled. I will try again thinking it was my error on my smoking.

Don't know what Master Built units you have to suggest methods on getting the "thin blue smoke" that is desirable for longer cooks.
I use my Master Built pellet grill for heat as it produces billows of white smoke in smoke mode.
I use a smoke tube.
I tried Lumber Jack Char-Hickory pellets once. I was not thrilled. I will try again thinking it was my error on my smoking.
I also did not get anything from the Lumberjack char pellets. There is a new brand people have been recommending, but can't remember the name. A while back I had an MES 30 from Masterbuilt that used wood chips. The beginning had more smoke flavor than just pellets. The inherent problem with pellet machines is they use pellets for its only fuel, so i the pellets burn too fast, you get less smoke. Wood needs to smolder... hence the tubes and mazes to boost your smoke game. Still, even without it - you know the food was smoked - and you can focus on your flavors and proteins, friends and family - rather than maintaining temps and fire management.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky