Super Bowl Sunday - What's on your menu?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Thinking its going to be wings for us.

Anyone have any good appetizer or finger food suggestions? I did a bunch of ABT's and mushroom caps last week so looking for something not too labor intensive I might can toss in the slow cooker and just munch on while watching the game, drinking beer, and cooking wings. Meatballs, Dips, etc... you get the picture.

I am going to try my hand at a first run of pork shots before the ribs. Not sure it is any less labor intensive than ABT's but want to try it anyway.

Thinking its going to be wings for us.

Anyone have any good appetizer or finger food suggestions? I did a bunch of ABT's and mushroom caps last week so looking for something not too labor intensive I might can toss in the slow cooker and just munch on while watching the game, drinking beer, and cooking wings. Meatballs, Dips, etc... you get the picture.

I'll be doing pork shots and moinks here. I may also toss a Mexican bean dip on the app table.

Mexican bean dip:
1 can of refried beans. (may need the bigger can or two cans depending on size of baking dish).
1 jar of your favorite salsa.(can substitute your own homemade)
1 bag of shredded Mexican blended cheese. (or you can shred your own cheese)
1 bag of tortilla chips

In a pyrex baking dish(rectangle style) spread a layer of the refried beans across the bottom. About a half inch thick or more. Then cover the beans with a good layer of the salsa sauce. Top with the shredded cheese. Cover with aluminum foil and bake at 350* until warm and cheese is melted. Then dig in with the chips. Simple and tasty.

I am going to try my hand at a first run of pork shots before the ribs. Not sure it is any less labor intensive than ABT's but want to try it anyway.

Pork shots take a little bit of work, but once you get going they come together real quick. Enjoy the game. I made a hundred or so for my kids wedding.

Chris

Sous Vide a Top Round Saturday and slice thin for philly cheesesteak sliders.
Brined wings and drums with my new vortex on the egg
Homemade salsa
Cheese and sliced bear log

Still trying to come up with some additional finger foods/apps. Will go back through this thread for ideas.

Sous Vide a Top Round Saturday and slice thin for philly cheesesteak sliders.
Brined wings and drums with my new vortex on the egg
Homemade salsa
Cheese and sliced bear log

Still trying to come up with some additional finger foods/apps. Will go back through this thread for ideas.
Nice! where are you going to finish off the cheese steaks? griddle or oven? What temp will you take the top round too in the SV and for how long?

Babybacks are on sale for $1.19/lb so a couple racks will go on Sunday...maybe some ABT's as well

Damn, $1.19 baby backs and 2.99 TT. My already full freezer would need a brother!

Ribs are on sale here for 2.99/lb both Saints and BBs. They were tempting but it's been to long since I've had a good grilled steak. I had to pass them up.

I'm still a newb when it comes to Mexican food so I don't want to spoil the festivities with a failed experiment, but the hamburger cheese dip sounds intriguing. Care to spill the beans on how to make it.

Chris

I do a similar spread with 1 block Velveeta, 1 lb burger, 1 lb sausage. Cook the meat, mix in the cheese, spread onto cocktail breads, and bake. I like the addition of salsa to this recipe, may need to give it a shot!

Nice! where are you going to finish off the cheese steaks? griddle or oven? What temp will you take the top round too in the SV and for how long?
Wife doesn't like the smokey flavor (except on PP), so they will be in the oven.

I did a similar roast at 131 for 21 hours the last time for french dips and it was amazing. Will likely try the same. May also SV some wings as a side by side comparison with normal vortex. SV for 1 hour at 165 and then finish over direct heat.

Have had limited carbs and no alcohol for the month of January. Going to be a glutinous day.....and oh yeah football!

Wife doesn't like the smokey flavor (except on PP), so they will be in the oven.

I did a similar roast at 131 for 21 hours the last time for french dips and it was amazing. Will likely try the same. May also SV some wings as a side by side comparison with normal vortex. SV for 1 hour at 165 and then finish over direct heat.

Have had limited carbs and no alcohol for the month of January. Going to be a glutinous day.....and oh yeah football!
yeah I hear you on the carbs...If I do a cheese steak it is on a low carb wrap, Alcohol has been way too much for the last few months..years? But it is better than doing drugs!. If I finally pull the trigger on the Camp Chef griddle I would SV the round to about 110 for 20 hours, let cool and slice real thin. Then finish it all off on the flat top....as you can see I am really trying to talk myself into getting yet another cooking rig.

yeah I hear you on the carbs...If I do a cheese steak it is on a low carb wrap, Alcohol has been way too much for the last few months..years? But it is better than doing drugs!. If I finally pull the trigger on the Camp Chef griddle I would SV the round to about 110 for 20 hours, let cool and slice real thin. Then finish it all off on the flat top....as you can see I am really trying to talk myself into getting yet another cooking rig.

I'm in the same boat on a griddle, haven't pulled the trigger on one either. Flat top would be awesome to finish the meat and mix with the veggies and then just cover with cheese.

I gave up the booze in January for 2 reasons:
1 - Get myself moving in the right direction on the scale
2 - Prove to myself it wasn't a chemical dependancy

Nearly 15 lbs lighter and no shakes! Ready for a Maker's Mark Manhattan tomorrow!

TT are still pretty elusive here Al. Are you firing up the Santa Maria?

Chris

Pardon me for hijacking your thread, I just wanted to respond.
Yea that's the plan, weather here is supposed to be awesome, so I invited my neighbor's over to eat a TT. They have never even heard of one. So I thought since the SM setup is where TT started, you know I have to go with tradition. So SM it is. But I got to really watch the IT cause I let that leg of lamb get away from me last week, on the SM. So no mistakes this time. And again pardon me for the hijack!
Al

I took this thread as a place for everyone to discuss their plans for the weekend. If you have hijacked the thread, I'm guilty as well!

Reactions: gmc2003
Bacon wrapped Jalapeno Brats here. ABTs cole slaw various snacks wings, smoked cheese,nuts etc

The brats sound great Mayor, and I'd be doing ABTs if I wasn't already doing the moinks and shots.

Pardon me for hijacking your thread, I just wanted to respond.
Yea that's the plan, weather here is supposed to be awesome, so I invited my neighbor's over to eat a TT. They have never even heard of one. So I thought since the SM setup is where TT started, you know I have to go with tradition. So SM it is. But I got to really watch the IT cause I let that leg of lamb get away from me last week, on the SM. So no mistakes this time. And again pardon me for the hijack!
Al
\

Al, Hijack away or anyone else for that matter. This is just an informative thread. I figured it's an easy way for folks to get new ideas if their stuck and share what they're plans are. Besides I asked the SM question. LOL

Chris

Decided to not chance the weather,instant weather report Wings were done around the Vortex.
Richie
We're supposed to be mid 30's with just a chance of light snow flurries. I'm taking the risk. We will probably wind up with 5 feet of snow.

Chris

I'm in the same boat on a griddle, haven't pulled the trigger on one either. Flat top would be awesome to finish the meat and mix with the veggies and then just cover with cheese.

I gave up the booze in January for 2 reasons:
1 - Get myself moving in the right direction on the scale
2 - Prove to myself it wasn't a chemical dependancy

Nearly 15 lbs lighter and no shakes! Ready for a Maker's Mark Manhattan tomorrow!
If you have a BJ's wholseale club the CS 4 burner griddle is $220 on sale till next week, otherwise a few Walmart's have the 3 burner 28" blackstone pro for $174....those are both deals....sorry for the derailment of the thread, I have another griddle thread going if we need to discuss more.

If you have a BJ's wholseale club the CS 4 burner griddle is $220 on sale till next week, otherwise a few Walmart's have the 3 burner 28" blackstone pro for $174....those are both deals....sorry for the derailment of the thread, I have another griddle thread going if we need to discuss more.

Clifish see above post #74. No issues here post away at will.

Chris

Thanks Chris, I will, but I also wanted to direct CSR CSR to a direct thread where it got discussed at more length if he (she?) was interested.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky