Super Bowl Sunday - What's on your menu?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gmc2003

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 15, 2012
With the big game right around the corner. I thought I'd ask whats going on in your smoker for this Sunday. I just checked out our weather and it's supposed to be in the mid-thirties and partly sunny. So I'm planning on waking up either my WSM or Kettles from their hibernation. I think they've been sleeping since November. Any-who I'm planning on making pork shots and moinks for appetizers. The main dish will probably be some type of grilled steak and twice baked stuffed potato. It will depend on what I find at the grocer on Friday. Have fun and happy smoking - GO CHIEFS!!!

Chris

Reactions: sawhorseray
Just me and "What's her name" so decided to do finger foods for all day snaking.
She is doing ham/cheese oven sliders, cheese ball and lumpia.
I'll do wings and slice up some of my summer sausage and smoked cheese.
Teddy

• Haha
Reactions: negolien
I'm going to pick up four racks of really nice pork ribs in a couple of hours, special 4-day sale at 99¢lb. I had them in my basket yesterday but wasn't willing to spend a extra buck a pound for one day. I'll fire up the SQ36 early Sunday morning and smoke a rack of ribs over straight hickory splits, supposed to be about 75º here that afternoon, maybe a yam and some zukes. GO NINERS! RAY

I’m planning on making a reuben/pastrami stromboli. I make this for the wife and I every SB Sunday using store bought corned beef, but this year I had a leftover London Broil so it went into Pops Brine with some pickling spices 10 days ago. Will do a pastrami rub, smoke and then finish Sous Vide and then stuffed in a stromboli with sauerkraut, swiss and thousand Island dressing.

Also planning to smoke 10lbs of cajun sausage too.

Hail to the...I mean Go Chiefs!

Just me and "What's her name" so decided to do finger foods for all day snaking.
She is doing ham/cheese oven sliders, cheese ball and lumpia.
I'll do wings and slice up some of my summer sausage and smoked cheese.
Teddy

Sounds like a plan Pit, I forgot all about sliders. I made these on the kettle a while ago they turned out good just needed a tad more meat. They may get added to the menu. Thanks for the reminder.

1580390677940.png

Chris

Reactions: pit of despair
Doing a couple of pork tenderloins with the cherry bourbon compote for the main course, and fresh potato salad, asparagus with smoked shredded asiago cheese, and cornbread.

My in-laws will be over and they are from the bay area, so just to mess with them I am supporting the chiefs. :emoji_grin:

GO CHIEFS!!

John

I'm going to pick up four racks of really nice pork ribs in a couple of hours, special 4-day sale at 99¢lb. I had them in my basket yesterday but wasn't willing to spend a extra buck a pound for one day. I'll fire up the SQ36 early Sunday morning and smoke a rack of ribs over straight hickory splits, supposed to be about 75º here that afternoon, maybe a yam and some zukes. GO NINERS! RAY

That's a great price Ray, and I have to seriously consider ribs also at that price. I'm not a chiefs fan but like watching Mahomes play. Besides the Giants haven't given me to much to root for these past few years.

Wings, ABTs, Cowboy caviar with chips, and whatever else looks good at the store today.

I like wings and ABTs Cabo, and I've heard of Cowboy caviar. I'm just not sure of what it is. I'll have to look that one up.

Chris

That's a great price Ray, and I have to seriously consider ribs also at that price. I'm not a chiefs fan but like watching Mahomes play. Besides the Giants haven't given me to much to root for these past few years.

Mahomes scares me, they are going to be tough to beat, might just be too fast for us. I saw the ribs yesterday, nice racks about 5lbs plus. They were marked down to $1.99lb from $5.99lb, this is the kind of deal I love to score on! RAY

I’m planning on making a reuben/pastrami stromboli. I make this for the wife and I every SB Sunday using store bought corned beef, but this year I had a leftover London Broil so it went into Pops Brine with some pickling spices 10 days ago. Will do a pastrami rub, smoke and then finish Sous Vide and then stuffed in a stromboli with sauerkraut, swiss and thousand Island dressing.

Also planning to smoke 10lbs of cajun sausage too.

Hail to the...I mean Go Chiefs!

Now that sounds like a meal I could sink my teeth into. Does the london broil taste much different then brisket? Ten pounds!!! If I made 10 pounds I think I'd be eating 10 pound right directly, and none of it would make it into the freezer.

Doing a couple of pork tenderloins with the cherry bourbon compote for the main course, and fresh potato salad, asparagus with smoked shredded asiago cheese, and cornbread.

My in-laws will be over and they are from the bay area, so just to mess with them I am supporting the chiefs. :emoji_grin:

GO CHIEFS!!

John

Pork tenderloins fit the bill for any occasion. Great choice, and it's always good to mess with the in-laws head. It keeps them on their toes and wondering.

Chris

Will the PBR's be flowing?

Great thread Chris. I have been checking the ad's that came out yesterday and trying to decide what I want to do. Was thinking wings but keep the ideas coming!

Reactions: Smokin' in AZ
Ray, I am going to score some ribs also, gotta make sure i go to a store far away from you to make sure there are some left in the store....

Did you click the online coupon thing for Fry's John, that's what drops the price to 99¢lb. Safeway has ribs on sale too, but Fry's is a better deal. Almost time to drive Bob to the vets, we'll hit Fry's on the way home. RAY

I have a pork shoulder and beef bottom round coming out of the brine today. I will put those on to hot smoke Sunday early. Then maybe some stuffed poblanos (cheese and spanish rice and chorizo) wrapped in bacon. Probably top it off with a pot of pinto beans.

Will the PBR's be flowing?

Great thread Chris. I have been checking the ad's that came out yesterday and trying to decide what I want to do. Was thinking wings but keep the ideas coming!

Most definitely the PBRs will be flowing. They're already stocked and in the fridge much to the angst of the wife.

Chris

Reactions: SmokinVOLfan
I have a pork shoulder and beef bottom round coming out of the brine today. I will put those on to hot smoke Sunday early. Then maybe some stuffed poblanos (cheese and spanish rice and chorizo) wrapped in bacon. Probably top it off with a pot of pinto beans.

Now here's a member who gave this Sundays feedbag some forethought. I'll be over by halftime.

Chris

Reactions: SmokinEdge
Now that sounds like a meal I could sink my teeth into. Does the london broil taste much different then brisket? Ten pounds!!! If I made 10 pounds I think I'd be eating 10 pound right directly, and none of it would make it into the freezer.

Pork tenderloins fit the bill for any occasion. Great choice, and it's always good to mess with the in-laws head. It keeps them on their toes and wondering.

Chris

Chris, I actually never tried with a London broil before so it will be my first time. My thinking was it would be like an eye of round or even a brisket flat for pastrami since they’re both pretty lean.

I figured it would be the same, just thinner...and it’s going to get sliced and chopped into the mixture. I’m thinking smoking at a real low temp to get more smoke on it before bagging it up for a SV bath. If I were to smoke it at 200-225F, it would probably hit 140IT in an hour.

As for the reuben loaf, I get a pound of corned beef or pastrami (your choice) and chop it up. Mix with 1 cup well drained sauerkraut, 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese, 3T thousand island dressing and 1T brown mustard. Mix everything well. Get a tube of crescent rolls and lay them out flat keeping them connected.

Spoon the mixture onto the dough and close. Make a few slices on top to vent. Egg wash and add caraway seeds if desired. Bake at 375-400 until golden brown, about 20-25 minutes.

The mixture gives me enough for 2 packages of crescent rolls.

But this year I’m going the extra mile with the meat.

Reactions: gmc2003
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky