Summer Sausage Florida Style

Discussion in 'Sausage' started by nepas, May 31, 2016.

1. nepas

nepas Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Who says you can't make SS in the summer?  EH

Had a couple people message me asking how come my meat is not grey after mixing? Well maybe your not using good quality meat and mix  

In the fridge for stuffing/smoking tomorrow. Hope i don't have to smoke in the sun as our awning motor went out last week, they supposed to fix today sometime.

2. donr

donr Smoking Fanatic

Do you just gradually move from shade to sun to raise the smoker temperature?

3. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

It amazes me that your doing all this in an RV.

Pretty awesome stuff, Rick!

Al

4. nepas

nepas Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

No its normally under the awning. Digital control so i can keep temps pretty constant

5. nepas

Thanks Al

6. dward51

dward51 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Well, it is "summer" sausage, right.....

As usual, watching this one!!!!

7. nepas

This batch is for the park managers son. They wanted to pay me, said no you just buy the meat cuz i have everything else.

Stuffing 1.5" fibrous.

Stuffed now hang at room temp for an hour. And a shorty 6"

8. nepas

9am hang time.

9. nepas

Normally i don't cut and vac seal so soon after smoking but i needed to get this to the managers son.

My taste tester said its a hit

bdskelly likes this.
  10. jckdanls 07

jckdanls 07 Master of the Pit Group Lead OTBS Member

ok.. so a couple of them for him... that leaves four.... need my address ?? or want me to drive over ??? I know storage room is tight in RV.. let me help you out....

Thumbs Up

(can't imagine what he will bring to S. Fl. Gathering)

Last edited: Jun 1, 2016
  11. jaxrmrjmr

jaxrmrjmr Smoking Fanatic

Still trying to work out the S FL Gathering.  Work just got a big contract that might keep me hopping the rest of the year.

12. bdskelly

bdskelly Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Rick.  You just made hero status. Point! Brian 

13. nepas

Keep me posted on the S,FL Gathering. I will try to make it this year being its just down the rd a spell.

Kieth

I will be making 15 lbs of chubs and sticks soon. We should hook up sometime.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
  14. driedstick

driedstick Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Looks great!! Nice job Rick 

DS

15. nimrod

nimrod Meat Mopper

Nice looking summer sausage! I live closer than the rest of them so I don't mind driving up to sample them and report back to the group.

Hope you can make the fall S Florida Gathering.

So far my only sausage making has been brats and breakfast sausage. I will have to give SS a try soon.

Craig

16. bdskelly

bdskelly Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

He is doing this in an RV?  My new hero!  

17. nepas

Let me know few days in advance when your in my area and i will make some fresh. What i have now has been vac sealed and heading to KY with me in July and Sept.

18. nepas

Full time for 4 years now. I also do dry cure....EH

19. jckdanls 07

jckdanls 07 Master of the Pit Group Lead OTBS Member

:77: to Nepas... he's the man (one of many) ....

Last edited: Jun 5, 2016
  20. nimrod

nimrod Meat Mopper

Thanks Nepas

We passed thru there last Sunday on our way to see John & Carol. Ran thru some intense rain storms up your way.

Craig