Sugar Free Baby Backs- a la Keto-R-Us!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

browneyesvictim

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 16, 2016
Creswell OR
Proof that smoked meats can be KETO FREINDLY!
A modified TulsaJeffs rub on two of the ribs and simple SPOG on the third. Lakanto golden brown monkfruit sweetener is subbed for the brown sugar.
These went on a rib rack on the kettle with RO Ridge and chunks of hickory and maple. Temps at 235-250.
After 2 hours wrapped meat side down with 3-4 pats of butter, more rub and a few tablespoons of diet Dr. Pepper.
Sugar free Hickory Garlic BBQ sauce: Modified TulsaJeffs BBQ sauce: Starting with from scratch sugar free catsup, Lakanto sweetener and minus the molasses, adding extra garlic and a splash of hickory liquid smoke for serving "on the side"
Grilled asparagus spears on the indoor Jenn-Aire with SPG and a sprinkle of parm.
Rib 1.jpg
Rib 2.jpg
wrapped.jpg
asp 1.jpg
sauce.jpg
asp 1.jpg
asp 2.jpg
Rib 3.jpg

Perfect for us in-between FOTB and bite off. Both were fantastic with or without the sauce.
No one would never know any of this was "sugar free"!
The straight SPOG seasoned ones will definitely go back into our steady rotation also!

Thanks for lookin'
Erik

Thanks fellas.
Ribs are like belly buttons around here so not that really different. But I will say there was no sacrifice in flavor and taste for being sf.

I'm having to do that exact same thing now, already got my Monkfruit, just bought sugar free ketchup an hour ago before even seeing this post...

Awesome ribs, and you and I cook asparagus spears the same way!!!
THNX for the post, I'm now not alone . :emoji_laughing:

I've seen some pretty messed up belly buttons......don't ask
You know I said bellybuttons because everyone has one. Just like opinions are just like ........
Please. No visuals!

I'm having to do that exact same thing now, already got my Monkfruit, just bought sugar free ketchup an hour ago before even seeing this post...

Awesome ribs, and you and I cook asparagus spears the same way!!!
THNX for the post, I'm now not alone . :emoji_laughing:
Great! Post up your cook and tag me when you do. I haven't bought or tried store bought sf catsup. If you find a good one let me know. I did enjoy making it scratch from tomatoes, but was messy and took a bit of time on the cook top. Tastes amazing. It made some terrific bbq sauce!
Asparagus on the grill for the win! I usually marinate and finish with balsamic vinegar but went with cheese instead this time. I prefer the real parm or asagio if I do, but the cheap stuff in the green can was all I had.
Thanks for stopping by and that you enjoyed the post. You aren't alone! No more fat guy syndrome for me!
Thanks for the like.

Monkfruit sugar is really great stuff!
There are several others in our cupboard now too but I like this one the best. I just haven't found a good sub for molasses. The golden Lakanto has some brown sugar flavor to it but not enough and the recepie needs more. I just went and accentuated garlic and hickory instead.

I haven't bought or tried store bought sf catsup. If you find a good one let me know.

But I will be doing it your way soon, home made sounds very cool.

Good call @eaglewing!That GHughes brand SF BBQ sauce is FANTASTIC also! It's my wifes favorite as far as store bought.

Reactions: eaglewing
Good call @eaglewing!That GHughes brand SF BBQ sauce is FANTASTIC also! It's my wifes favorite as far as store bought.
I just bought the hickory and sweat and spicy, used the hickory in some baked black soybeans and it was great. Have not tried the sweet and spicy yet, has anyone?

Proof that smoked meats can be KETO FREINDLY!
A modified TulsaJeffs rub on two of the ribs and simple SPOG on the third. Lakanto golden brown monkfruit sweetener is subbed for the brown sugar.
These went on a rib rack on the kettle with RO Ridge and chunks of hickory and maple. Temps at 235-250.
After 2 hours wrapped meat side down with 3-4 pats of butter, more rub and a few tablespoons of diet Dr. Pepper.
Sugar free Hickory Garlic BBQ sauce: Modified TulsaJeffs BBQ sauce: Starting with from scratch sugar free catsup, Lakanto sweetener and minus the molasses, adding extra garlic and a splash of hickory liquid smoke for serving "on the side"
Grilled asparagus spears on the indoor Jenn-Aire with SPG and a sprinkle of parm.
View attachment 505016View attachment 505017View attachment 505018View attachment 505019View attachment 505020View attachment 505024View attachment 505025View attachment 505027
Perfect for us in-between FOTB and bite off. Both were fantastic with or without the sauce.
No one would never know any of this was "sugar free"!
The straight SPOG seasoned ones will definitely go back into our steady rotation also!

Thanks for lookin'
Erik

That looks damn good from here!

I've come to the conclusion that TX style BBQ didn't really use sugar in BBQ seasoning/rubs (never saw it here my whole life) so I know first hand how your SPOG ribs would come out so amazing!

I do mine SPOG + Paprika all the time, unwrapped the whole smoke. I put sauce on at the table for sweetness and OMG with or without sauce they out of this world! I can't speak well enough about SPOG.

Keep it up, the food looks fantastic!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky