Substitute for Pork Liver in Boudin?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

reeko

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Dec 1, 2009
Forest Grove, Oregon
Hi,
Next up for me is Boudin.
Most of the authentic recipes use a pound or so of pork liver to 5 lbs of Pork meat.
Can't find pork liver at my usual stores, no meat markets convenient.

Is there a close tasting substitute? Chicken or Beef Liver perhaps?
Or am I better off skipping it (some recipes don't include liver).

Here's what I use:

Boudin

4-5 cups water 2 tsp salt
1 tsp salt 1 tsp sage
4 bay leaves 2 tsp cayenne pepper
2 jalapeño peppers 2 tsp red pepper flakes
2 tsp CBP 1 tsp allspice
1 tsp thyme 1 tsp mace
¾ cup green onions or scallions
3 pounds pork butt ½ cup cilantro
8 oz pork (or chicken) livers (optional) 2 tsp minced garlic
Large onion
Medium hog casings
1 (uncooked) cup rice

Combine water, salt, bay leaves, Jalapeño peppers, CBP and thyme and bring to a boil. Add Pork (Chopped small enough to be run thru the grinder), onion, and chopped livers (if used) simmer 45-60 min. Use a slotted spoon to transfer pork, liver, and onions to platter to cool. Use 1½ cups of the remaining stock to boil the rice. (The rest I save and freeze for future rice).

Grind with a medium plate; pork, liver, and onions. Then mix with the remaining spices and rice.

What to do with the Boudin
Patties
Stuff into casings
Reheat by poaching in 165-185 degree water
Steam
Brush with oil and bake at 400 degrees until heated and crispy skins
Microwave (carefully or they will burst)
Use as stuffing for pork chops, Cornish hens, rolled meats, etc.
Rolled into balls, dusted, and deep fried

This is very perishable and should be used in 2 -3 days or frozen. When eating the Boudin in casings, it is customary to just squeeze it out of the casing and into your mouth!

Enjoy!

I will never make boudin if I have to put in some liver. I didn't know if it takes liver to make boudin oh well.

I have seen recipes both with and without.
I have heard from people that it is as good without the liver. Pretty much it is a dirty rice dessing stuffed into a casing. I have made dirty rice for years without liver, so don't sweat it.

I am just not sure what the liver adds to the flavor, so I want to try it with liver (small amount).

I have made it both ways. There is enough spices that the liver only changes the flavor a little bit. It is not specifically detectable as liver.

Now Mark, OTBS members have to set the Example, EAT YOUR LIVER, before you leave the table...
icon_mrgreen.gif

I would hold out for pork liver.  If you can get it, lamb liver.  Other than that, baby beef liver in a pinch.

Good luck and good smoking.

I have eaten Liver from Pork, Beef, Calf, Chicken,Turkey and Duck...I have to say, Poultry liver is closer to Pork liver than Beef (pretty strong) and Calf ( some what milder)...In any event, a 24 soak in milk works wonders to mellow Liver's intensity...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky