• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Substitute for firebrick inside of SFB?

daveomak

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Nov 12, 2010
I'm sure it would work.... For a lighter, more insulative quality, you could mix zonolite or perelite with it.... would go further also... Warm and dry it slowly, very slowly.... A proper cure time and temp rise is days to weeks...

Dave

Last edited:

shrekastac

Smoke Blower
Joined Nov 30, 2013
I'll have to look that up...I was thinking about making a mold out of wood and casting some firebricks out of that.

daveomak

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Nov 12, 2010
I'll have to look that up...I was thinking about making a mold out of wood and casting some firebricks out of that.
That's a plan.... take pics for us..... another opportunity to learn something... Dave

jweller

Fire Starter
Joined Nov 20, 2013
Just as an aside, Ace hardware has a 6 pack of firebrick for $20 if you've got one close to you. Still not cheap, but $5 is $5.

shrekastac

Smoke Blower
Joined Nov 30, 2013
Yea I was looking at that too. I'm military so the 10% off is nice. The refractory cement I was looking at has 12.5lbs of it so additionally I am interested in making my own. I'll find the you tube link on how to make your own bricks and post it here.

wes w

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Jul 31, 2012
I'm sure it would work.... For a lighter, more insulative quality, you could mix zonolite or perelite with it.... would go further also... Warm and dry it slowly, very slowly.... A proper cure time and temp rise is days to weeks...

Dave
Great advice here

That's a plan.... take pics for us..... another opportunity to learn something... Dave
Always looking for good new ways to do things.

If you can find a masonry supply business they are cheaper on firebrick then the box stores.   Here local I can buy firebrick for a dollar each.  Just a thought.

Let us know how it turns out.  Like Dave said.  Its critical that you let masonry cure before you put a big fire in it.  I can not stress that enough

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.