Substitute for firebrick inside of SFB?

Discussion in 'Side Fire Box' started by shrekastac, Dec 7, 2013.

1. shrekastac

shrekastac Smoke Blower

2. daveomak

daveomak Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I'm sure it would work.... For a lighter, more insulative quality, you could mix zonolite or perelite with it.... would go further also... Warm and dry it slowly, very slowly.... A proper cure time and temp rise is days to weeks...

Dave

Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
  3. shrekastac

shrekastac Smoke Blower

I'll have to look that up...I was thinking about making a mold out of wood and casting some firebricks out of that.

4. daveomak

daveomak Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

That's a plan.... take pics for us..... another opportunity to learn something... Dave

5. shrekastac

shrekastac Smoke Blower

Will do

6. jweller

jweller Fire Starter

Just as an aside, Ace hardware has a 6 pack of firebrick for $20 if you've got one close to you. Still not cheap, but $5 is $5.

7. shrekastac

shrekastac Smoke Blower

Yea I was looking at that too. I'm military so the 10% off is nice. The refractory cement I was looking at has 12.5lbs of it so additionally I am interested in making my own. I'll find the you tube link on how to make your own bricks and post it here.

8. shrekastac

shrekastac Smoke Blower

9. wes w

wes w Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Great advice here
    Always looking for good new ways to do things.

If you can find a masonry supply business they are cheaper on firebrick then the box stores.   Here local I can buy firebrick for a dollar each.  Just a thought.

Let us know how it turns out.  Like Dave said.  Its critical that you let masonry cure before you put a big fire in it.  I can not stress that enough

10. justhunt

justhunt Fire Starter

Tractor supply