Substitute for firebrick inside of SFB?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I'm sure it would work.... For a lighter, more insulative quality, you could mix zonolite or perelite with it.... would go further also... Warm and dry it slowly, very slowly.... A proper cure time and temp rise is days to weeks...

Dave

Last edited:
I'll have to look that up...I was thinking about making a mold out of wood and casting some firebricks out of that.

Just as an aside, Ace hardware has a 6 pack of firebrick for $20 if you've got one close to you. Still not cheap, but $5 is $5.

Yea I was looking at that too. I'm military so the 10% off is nice. The refractory cement I was looking at has 12.5lbs of it so additionally I am interested in making my own. I'll find the you tube link on how to make your own bricks and post it here.

I'm sure it would work.... For a lighter, more insulative quality, you could mix zonolite or perelite with it.... would go further also... Warm and dry it slowly, very slowly.... A proper cure time and temp rise is days to weeks...

Dave
Great advice here

I'll have to look that up...I was thinking about making a mold out of wood and casting some firebricks out of that.
That's a plan.... take pics for us..... another opportunity to learn something... Dave
Always looking for good new ways to do things.

If you can find a masonry supply business they are cheaper on firebrick then the box stores.   Here local I can buy firebrick for a dollar each.  Just a thought.

Let us know how it turns out.  Like Dave said.  Its critical that you let masonry cure before you put a big fire in it.  I can not stress that enough

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky