Short Ribs and Burnt Ends

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Gonna Smoke

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 19, 2018
South Carolina
I've been quite busy the last couple of weeks fishing, yeah I know, tough life...🤣, and I haven't had much time to spend here, but I have had time to cook some. Last week, it was whole beef short ribs on the smoker so here we go...

Had these in my freezer and they were just begging for some smoke...
20230213_073738[1].jpg

Unwrapped and seasoned with a rib rub concoction of mine...
20230213_074007[1].jpg

20230213_074329[1].jpg

On the offset running around 250℉-275℉ with White Oak for a few hours...
20230213_142635[1].jpg

Tender all over and time to rest then slice...
20230213_181111[1].jpg

Served with homemade mac-n-cheese and roasted asparagus with parmesan cheese...
20230213_181305[1].jpg

These ribs were big so 1/2 a rib was enough for me. Time to eat...
20230213_182403[1].jpg

The basic rib rub I used...
  • ¼ cup coarse salt
  • 2T coarse ground black pepper
  • 2T paprika
  • 2T chili powder...recipe to follow
  • 1T cayenne pepper
  • 1T garlic powder
¼ cup of brown or turbinado sugar can be added, but we're trying hard to reduce or eliminate sugar in our diet so I left it out.

Chili powder recipe I copied off the interweb...
  • ¼ cup smoked paprika
  • 2T ancho chile powder
  • 1T Mexican oregano
  • 1T garlic powder
  • 1T onion powder
  • 2t ground cumin
  • 1t cayenne
  • 2t ground coriander

The crowd was small so I had ribs left over and was wondering what to do with them. How about burnt ends? So a couple of days later, I removed the meat from the bones and cut into smaller pieces. Into a pan with some butter, honey, and BBQ sauce...
20230219_183046[1].jpg

Covered and baked at 350℉ in the oven for about 45 minutes, stirring occasionally, then uncovered for another 30 minutes to sort of caramelize the sauce...
20230219_193608[1].jpg

These were fall apart tender and my wife really loved them. We ate them with the leftovers from the first night...

All looks great and nice detail on the post.

Great looking cook! And great use of left overs.

Jim

I'm all in for some of that!

Looks great !!

Both meals look delicious! Those were some beefy ribs for sure!

Ryan

Looks like ya had some great meals
Thanks a bunch, guys. They ribs were good, but I think that the burnt ends were a little better...:emoji_wink:

The ribs look fantastic Charles and repurposing them into burnt ends is a great idea, so nicely done!! I got about a month here until fishing starts and the weather gets better, can’t wait.

Reactions: Gonna Smoke
Heck of a job with those plates. Looks delicious.
Thank you! I appreciate that...
The ribs look fantastic Charles and repurposing them into burnt ends is a great idea, so nicely done!! I got about a month here until fishing starts and the weather gets better, can’t wait.
Thank you for your compliments, they are appreciated! As for the fishing, I haven't actually caught a fish, my team has, but I'm just thankful to be back out there again. This last shoulder surgery and therapy has held me down longer than I expected, but I'm getting out some. Hopefully I get a full release next month and start hitting it real hard...

Some fine looking ribs there Charles!! Sides all look amazing too but those burnt ends....OMG!! I bet those were to die for. Excellent spread of food my friend.

Robert

Reactions: Gonna Smoke
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky