Started an elk bresaola

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

crankybuzzard

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jan 4, 2014
Montague County, TX
When my friend came down from Washington state a couple of weeks ago, he brought me a couple of elk roasts. One is now slated to be cooked in the normal fashion, but the one below is going to be bresaola in a couple of months.

The roast started out at 1500 grams, but I trimmed off a couple of slices to pan fry. The bride loved the flavor, so that's why only one is getting dried. :biggrin:

I used a mixture of rosemary, thyme, black pepper, juniper berries, bay leaf, and salt for the seasoning, with a dose of cure #2 as well. All vac packed up and into the frig for 2-3 weeks to cure, then it'll go into the UMAi bag for 1-2 months. Looking for a 40% loss.

Reactions: redheelerdog
I'm in! Wish we'd get an elk. Been too long! Saw a herd of about 60 a few weeks ago when we went to the coast. Unfortunately not elk season and no tags!

popcorn.gif

Sounds good Charlie, I'm lovin the elk.  Thumbs Up

How was the pan fry? I love that with some butter and garlic.

The pan fry was great!

The bride has never eaten elk, and isn't real keen on venison, so I wanted to show her that there's a major difference in flavor. After she tasted the elk, I was informed that the other roast will be roasted and not dried! She loved it.

Last night it was time to check the roast out and see how it was coming along.

I sliced the bag open and the aroma was awesome!  The roast had kind of taken on a rectangular look due to how I had it in the frig, but it had firmed up quite a bit.

My wife completely freaked out when I did the following...  I sliced a small piece off and ate it.  It tastes as good as it smells!  I can't wait for this to dry out!

I only had one sample and then I tied it up to try and lose the boxy shape and then bagged it up in a UMAi bag.  Back into the frig and will see what it looks like in another 3 weeks...

Not sure how this one got past me CB.. We love elk & I'm betting that is going to be really tasty !

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky