Bresaola is done

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mr_whipple

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jul 3, 2021
Virginia
Here we go... the Basturma came out last week and while it was good, I really didn't care for the flavor profile. The Bresaola I can really get into. It was at 66.5 % so I pulled it.

Pulled off the netting and about to remove the collagen sheet. That mold went everywhere when I was cutting the netting.

20230814_171154.jpg

Here are a shot of both sides before I gave it a bath with a microfiber towel and some cheap black box sauvignon blanc that I keep on the shelf above the sink for medicinal purposes.

20230814_171604.jpg

20230814_171611.jpg

And the cut shot. A small amount of dry ring in a few small spots, but I'm perfectly happy with the results. I'm going to vac seal it and let it sit for a while. The pork tenderloins I did evened out quite nicely after a few weeks so much that you can't even see the original dry edge, so I'm sure this will be just fine.

20230814_172328.jpg

Didn't feel like busting out the slicer so I just hacked off a slice or two for taste testing. A little thick on the cut, but the flavor was nice. Mild, and funky from the mold. I can't say for sure if any one flavor stood out. Next time I'll try it again before cocktail hour with a clean palette and pass judgement.

20230814_172528.jpg

This turned out far better than my previous refrigerator bresaola in the umai bag and it's telling me that the chamber while not perfect is capable of getting the job done. I'm going to go ahead and try my hand at some salami next. Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
Nicely done! You nailed it! Great job on that! Yeah, the dry ring from a dialed in chamber is not as severe as what umai bags produce. Looking forward to you salami creations!
Thanks! I've been collecting the gear and supplies and doing more reading (and rereading) and think I'm going to try the Finocchiona and the Saucisson Sec recipes from 2 guys.

Reactions: indaswamp
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky