Start of my brick smoker build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Chris B.

Original poster
Apr 30, 2018
Hi there, everybody. Long-time meat smoker (on assorted cookers, most recently a cheap-but-effective Charbroil offset) and forum lurker, but now a member.

Something I've long wanted to do, and have just started, is to build a brick smoker. So with about 1,000 bricks left over from a home addition, I decided to go after it. I'm posting the first few pix here to share the project and also to get some ideas and input from others with brick pit experience. I've searched the web high and low, and there's not much out there for projects like this. So mostly I'm using experience and intuition to design and build it. Oh, it's my first brick project, too! Had one lesson from my mason. After that, it's just practice, and knowing how to read a mason's rule. The base is about done; next comes the countertop, then the smoker body on the top left and an enclosed grill on the top right, and all the metalwork (doors, racks, etc).

UPDATE: Brick pit Part II
Well, it took three months, but my brick pit is complete! (Photos 18 and on).

When we left off, I had finished the lower portion, and was about to pour the concrete countertop and start constructing the top, which consists of the smoke chamber on the left and the Tuscan grill on the right. Those are capped off with a concrete countertop, poured in place (1200 lbs!). Then I designed and built the chimneys (including a damper system for the smoker), fabricated the doors for the fire box and smoke box (including forging the hinges and handles), and built wooden doors (with forged hinges) for the dry storage under the Tuscan grill. Lastly, I fabricated racks for both cookers - expanded metal for the smoker and 1/4 inch rod for the grill (with forged Italianesque handles) I finished it in late July and have had one good smoking on it plus half a dozen excellent steaks on the Tuscan grill. Both sides work like a charm!

The unit features four different brick patters: standard running bond, English garden bond, Flemish bond, and basketweave decorative panels at each end. Those were made in forms, then attached with thinset and mortar piped in around the edges.

You may note that there's no vent in the firebox door. I opted to just leave the door cracked a bit when cooking rather than hack a hole in the 1/4 inch steel. If I can find someone with a CNC plasma cutter or water jet, I may still do a vent.

Attachments

• 1. The plan.jpg
    1. The plan.jpg
    509.2 KB · Views: 2,114
  • 3. Pad ready to pour.jpg
    3. Pad ready to pour.jpg
    293.5 KB · Views: 2,100
  • 4. Pad done.JPG
    4. Pad done.JPG
    257.7 KB · Views: 2,037
  • 6. fire box.jpg
    6. fire box.jpg
    628.2 KB · Views: 281
  • 7 back bricks.jpg
    7 back bricks.jpg
    259.1 KB · Views: 284
  • 9 back complete.jpg
    9 back complete.jpg
    765.2 KB · Views: 293
  • 10 front 1.jpg
    10 front 1.jpg
    662.5 KB · Views: 2,035
  • 12 front 3.jpg
    12 front 3.jpg
    708.6 KB · Views: 289
  • 14 arch form detail.jpg
    14 arch form detail.jpg
    765.8 KB · Views: 296
  • 15 front done 1.jpg
    15 front done 1.jpg
    819.4 KB · Views: 1,998
  • 16 forms removed.jpg
    16 forms removed.jpg
    607.9 KB · Views: 294
  • 17 storage.jpg
    17 storage.jpg
    624.3 KB · Views: 1,954
  • 18 Basketweave form.jpg
    18 Basketweave form.jpg
    662.9 KB · Views: 1,872
  • 20 basketweave installed.jpg
    20 basketweave installed.jpg
    644.2 KB · Views: 1,876
  • 23 locating the cookers.jpg
    23 locating the cookers.jpg
    655.8 KB · Views: 1,858
  • 24 string poles.jpg
    24 string poles.jpg
    572.8 KB · Views: 231
  • 25 string pole detail.jpg
    25 string pole detail.jpg
    488.8 KB · Views: 223
  • 26 four courses done.jpg
    26 four courses done.jpg
    644.3 KB · Views: 1,812
  • 27 Tuscan grill arch form.jpg
    27 Tuscan grill arch form.jpg
    538.3 KB · Views: 1,766
  • 28 next, the smoker box.jpg
    28 next, the smoker box.jpg
    605 KB · Views: 239
  • 29 concrete block and angle iron rack supports.jpg
    29 concrete block and angle iron rack supports.jpg
    553.3 KB · Views: 1,797
  • 30 bricks cover the blocks.jpg
    30 bricks cover the blocks.jpg
    675 KB · Views: 1,808
  • 31 chimney time.jpg
    31 chimney time.jpg
    656.4 KB · Views: 1,741
  • 32 foam form guides the bricks.jpg
    32 foam form guides the bricks.jpg
    678.7 KB · Views: 1,713
  • 33 finished Tuscan grill.jpg
    33 finished Tuscan grill.jpg
    686.2 KB · Views: 1,740
  • 34 angle iron door frame.jpg
    34 angle iron door frame.jpg
    588.6 KB · Views: 249
  • 35 Smoker chimney got flagstone top and shoulders.jpg
    35 Smoker chimney got flagstone top and shoulders.jpg
    594.5 KB · Views: 248
  • 37 custom old-world style grate.jpg
    37 custom old-world style grate.jpg
    482.3 KB · Views: 1,659
  • 38 first steaks!.jpg
    38 first steaks!.jpg
    581 KB · Views: 1,608
  • 42 smoker grates.jpg
    42 smoker grates.jpg
    523 KB · Views: 1,701
  • 43 building the smokebox doors.jpg
    43 building the smokebox doors.jpg
    513.5 KB · Views: 1,663
  • 44 latch mechanism.jpg
    44 latch mechanism.jpg
    518.3 KB · Views: 1,643
  • 47 first fire.jpg
    47 first fire.jpg
    512 KB · Views: 260
  • 48 first ribs.jpg
    48 first ribs.jpg
    409.3 KB · Views: 1,666
  • 50 wood doors.jpg
    50 wood doors.jpg
    561 KB · Views: 1,623
  • 51 hand-forged hinges.jpg
    51 hand-forged hinges.jpg
    557.6 KB · Views: 226
  • 52 more hinges.jpg
    52 more hinges.jpg
    471.2 KB · Views: 225
  • 53 tuning plates between firebox and smokebox.jpg
    53 tuning plates between firebox and smokebox.jpg
    477 KB · Views: 227
  • 54 Firebox latch detail.jpg
    54 Firebox latch detail.jpg
    517.1 KB · Views: 224
  • 55 smokebox doors.jpg
    55 smokebox doors.jpg
    527.4 KB · Views: 1,611
  • 56 brick decoration.jpg
    56 brick decoration.jpg
    574.6 KB · Views: 222
  • 57 two brick patterns.jpg
    57 two brick patterns.jpg
    655.9 KB · Views: 217
  • 58 back view.jpg
    58 back view.jpg
    816 KB · Views: 219
  • 58 back view.jpg
    58 back view.jpg
    816 KB · Views: 220
  • 59 English Garden bond.jpg
    59 English Garden bond.jpg
    712.2 KB · Views: 233
  • 60 finished product.jpg
    60 finished product.jpg
    679 KB · Views: 1,603
  • 61 finished product 2.jpg
    61 finished product 2.jpg
    697.1 KB · Views: 2,064
  • smoker chimney.jpg
    smoker chimney.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,678
  • IMG_1226.jpg
    IMG_1226.jpg
    594.3 KB · Views: 1,605
Last edited:
Reactions: yankee2bbq
That's really impressive. Looking forward to seeing it complete and in action.

Chris

Very, Very nice, If you need more practice I know a backyard in East Texas that could use one :D

Gary

Reactions: Chris B.
Wow! This is beautiful! Really well done. I've been researching and scheming to build a vertical brick smoker for a couple of years now. When I first started researching it was on a whim... I hadn't ever seen a vertical brick smoker but I knew there had to be something out there... it just makes sense to me after looking at offset smokers, pit smokers, barrel smokers, etc. Vertical brick smoker seems like the perfect combination of all of the smoking methods.

Anyway, when I first started researching there seemed to be little out there in the way of examples. I definitely hadn't found your beautiful build back then. Now that I'm getting ready to start my build and had planned on a fairly straight up and down design with a fire box door at bottom with the smoker doors just above that. Now I see your design and now I want to modify mine a bit. I really like the look created by separating the fire box and the smoker with that concrete counter layer. I also like how you paired that and the fireplace structure together... it's really nice symetry and gives me an idea of how to do something similar with our smoker and wood burning stove that will be on the other end of our backyard kitchen ...

A couple questions:
1. Did you fabricate your own doors or have someone do that for you? Where did you get the interior locking mechanisms?
2. How well has the cinder block done in retaining heat? I can't tell for sure but did you use firebrick at all at the bottom? IT looks as though you didn't but wasn't sure.

Anything you'd change or do differently with your build?

Wow! This is beautiful! Really well done. I've been researching and scheming to build a vertical brick smoker for a couple of years now. When I first started researching it was on a whim... I hadn't ever seen a vertical brick smoker but I knew there had to be something out there... it just makes sense to me after looking at offset smokers, pit smokers, barrel smokers, etc. Vertical brick smoker seems like the perfect combination of all of the smoking methods.

Anyway, when I first started researching there seemed to be little out there in the way of examples. I definitely hadn't found your beautiful build back then. Now that I'm getting ready to start my build and had planned on a fairly straight up and down design with a fire box door at bottom with the smoker doors just above that. Now I see your design and now I want to modify mine a bit. I really like the look created by separating the fire box and the smoker with that concrete counter layer. I also like how you paired that and the fireplace structure together... it's really nice symetry and gives me an idea of how to do something similar with our smoker and wood burning stove that will be on the other end of our backyard kitchen ...

A couple questions:
1. Did you fabricate your own doors or have someone do that for you? Where did you get the interior locking mechanisms?
2. How well has the cinder block done in retaining heat? I can't tell for sure but did you use firebrick at all at the bottom? IT looks as though you didn't but wasn't sure.

Anything you'd change or do differently with your build?
Hi there, FadDad, and thanks for the kind words. Here are my answers:
1. Fabricated the doors and all other metal parts myself, even the handles and hinges. Not that I couldn't buy them, but when I DIY, I l try to DEM (do everything myself). Same with the latch for the smoke chamber, which is a pivot with two rods that go up and into holes in the top and bottom of the door frame.
2. I did put firebrick in the floor of the firebox and the floor of the grill. I also use a few loose firebricks to support my log grate, but no firebrick on the sides. The cinderblock has held up fine. Now, a lot of heat does come through the block when it's cooking good - if I could do it again, I might fill the holes in the block with perlite to insulate them.
3. Anything I'd do differently? Yes! I used angle iron to support the door openings, and when the iron heats up, it expands and has caused several cracks. You only see them when the smoker heats up; then the gaps grow to maybe 16th or 8th of an inch. No big deal, and hasn't affected the structural integrity, but if I do it again I'll try to let the iron "float" so it can grow on length without pushing on the bricks or blocks.

One thing that you don't see in the photos above is how I control heat. I though I could just put 4 in. by 12 in. steel plates over the hole between the fire and the meat, but that doesn't work - the heat just goes straight up and tends to burn the meat that's over it. So I put a sheet of steel on short legs in the bottom of the smoke chamber, over the hole, that is a few inches smaller than the overall size of the bottom of the chamber, to diffuse the heat. It comes up, hits the plate, and has to go around it and up the sides of the chamber. It seems to help even out the heat. I also use a large water pan - a cake pan - on the bottom rack to also help diffuse the heat.

The door thermometer looks cool but is useless. When it says 200F, I know the chamber is at about 250F. But the bottom shelf might be 225F and the top might be 275F. For the first two years, I cooked with several digital thermometers monitoring the heat everywhere. Over time I figured out how one stick of wood would affect the temp and how long it lasted ... now I just cook by time and feel (which is much more fun and doesn't require a bunch of wires coming out of the thing).

Lastly, I put wire mesh at the top of the chimney to keep squirrels from building a nest in it, a problem in Chicago in the winter!

Good luck! If you have more questions or need more pix, email me at [email protected].

Reactions: FadDadAZ
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky