St Louis Ribs on the Offset

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sawhorseray

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Oct 17, 2014
Gilbert, AZ
Fired up my SQ36 offset yesterday morning with some hickory splits and a weed torch, a hour later I had a beautiful bed of coals. Was a nice desert morning and only supposed to get up to around 102º today.
DSCN1895.JPG

Gave the rack of ribs a nice slathering of mustard and then a generous coating of chilerelleno chilerelleno 's basic hog rub, get it on the grill.
DSCN1896.JPG
DSCN1897.JPG

While I was splitting my hickory splits with a hand ax and single jack a tiny chard broke off from the ax and caught my knee, bled like stuck pig. Lesson learned, wear eye protection and overalls when doing that, I know better and was stupid. I was maintaining great heat management throughout the cook, TBS around the 265º-280º range, took a pics at the occasional spritz four hours in.
DSCN1898.JPG

After six hours the probe on my TP-20 was reading 182º and I had no idea what he hell was going on. I toothpick probed the rack and thought it was just about perfect, brushed on a layer of SBR and let it go another 15 minutes while I finished up my whisky.
DSCN1900.JPG

Jan came home with a surplus amount of Caesar salad bags, we gave a couple away tho looks like the stuff will be on every plate for the next week, tater salad too.
DSCN1901.JPG

I have no idea what was going on with my TP-20, this rack of ribs was done to absolute perfection, tender and juicy with a perfect bite. The total cook time was right at 6&1/2 hours, naked all the way, I'm not a wrapper. I went thru about half the amount of hickory splits that I normally do in the winter months, once the afternoon sun hits that cook chamber the SQ36 just seems to stay in cruise mode. Overall it was a wonderful cook with perfect TBS, a few brews and then some Evan, a few dips in the pool with Bob. If this ain't heave it's gotta be dammed close, thanks for lookin' in and stay safe! RAY

Damned fine looking ribs and a really nice meal Ray. Love that Meadow Creek smoker of yours. I looked long and hard at them before deciding on my T-Pit. Those ribs look as perfect as any that have been posted, that's for sure. Don't know what to tell you about the temp probes though. I'm still running my 10 year old Maverick 732's. Sadly it's about time to retire them though and maybe look into something else....but will probably stick with what I know and what I'm confident with. Keep those beautiful cooks coming my friend. It's always a pleasure to see what you're cooking up.

LIKE!!
Robert

Reactions: sawhorseray
Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
Damned fine looking ribs and a really nice meal Ray. Love that Meadow Creek smoker of yours. I looked long and hard at them before deciding on my T-Pit. Those ribs look as perfect as any that have been posted, that's for sure. Don't know what to tell you about the temp probes though. I'm still running my 10 year old Maverick 732's. Sadly it's about time to retire them though and maybe look into something else....but will probably stick with what I know and what I'm confident with. Keep those beautiful cooks coming my friend. It's always a pleasure to see what you're cooking up. LIKE!! Robert

Thank you Robert, it was just a wonderful day in the backyard! I'm thinking maybe I had the probe too close to a bone, who knows, All I really want the probe for on ribs or a butt is to give me a ballpark on when it's time to start poking around with a toothpick. My intuition lucked out, I wouldn't have been to happy if I'd found FOTB. Thanks for the Like amigo, I do appreciate it. RAY

St. Louis ribs, my favorites! Dang'it man those are looking divine, some very fine swine indeed. LIKE!

Thanks Chile! I've been getting the same great appearance and flavor ever since I started making your basic hog rub, your chicken is also my go to, they're both great!, Thanks for the Like Chile, much appreciated. RAY

Hope you're not getting too much smoke from the fires down that way, stay safe! Thanks for the Like, I appreciate it. RAY

How could anyone not like those ribs?
So, your most welcome.

As for the fires, luckily they are way north of us, but we see the smoke from our backyard.
Now if the wind shifts like it did last week, then we'll get the smoke again.
Bad thing about the fire is that it is in rough and steep terrain with bone dry vegetation.
Damn fire is now at 43K acres, only 21% contained, and the weather isn't helping one bit.

Thanks for looking out for us.

Stuart

P.S.
You have the Bush Fire up there. Are you seeing any smoke sweepage down into the valley?

Last edited:
Looks delicous Ray, yeah always wear eye protection I learned years ago when I was hitting the back of an axe with a hammer and a piece of metal flew off and stuck in my eye luckily they were able to just pull it out and had to wear a patch for a week but no long term damage.

Those look fabulous!

Thanks Sandy, tending the fire is a great way to spend the day, makes me feel like I accomplished something when it's all done. Dealing with a offset in triple digit heat don't just roll over. RAY

Look good. Never done st Louis always stuck to back. Might have to give them a shot

I usually go with spares myself but when I see the right price I'll jump on St Louis ribs too. Got quite a few slabs of baby backs in the packed freezer that'll come into play one of these days. RAY

As for the fires, luckily they are way north of us, but we see the smoke from our backyard. Now if the wind shifts like it did last week, then we'll get the smoke again. Bad thing about the fire is that it is in rough and steep terrain with bone dry vegetation. Damn fire is now at 43K acres, only 21% contained, and the weather isn't helping one bit. Thanks for looking out for us. Stuart

The weatherman says we'll be getting some smoke from that monster Bush fire up north after the weekend Stuart. It'll be a good 112º here then and I'm hoping a little wind will move it more towards the Phoenix area. Smoke or not, I'll be in the pool most of the day! RAY

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
The weatherman says we'll be getting some smoke from that monster Bush fire up north after the weekend Stuart. It'll be a good 112º here then and I'm hoping a little wind will move it more towards the Phoenix area. Smoke or not, I'll be in the pool most of the day! RAY

Yep, it's gonna be warm next week.
Stay safe.

Looks delicous Ray, yeah always wear eye protection I learned years ago when I was hitting the back of an axe with a hammer and a piece of metal flew off and stuck in my eye luckily they were able to just pull it out and had to wear a patch for a week but no long term damage.

Yeah, that was just plain stupid Jim! After 34 years in the Carpenters Union I'm fairly embarassed to be so lazy and inattentive to safety, and dammed lucky it hit my bare knee instead of my unprotected eyeball. I still have a couple pairs of Ben Davis overalls that were my daily uniform for so long, I'll put them on when I have a project, or go fishing. It's so hot here for five months I never wear anything but a pair of cutoff sweats to be ready to jump in the pool, which happens numerous times a day. Thank you for the Like Jim, I do appreciate it. RAY

Dang nice lookin rib there Ray! BIG LIKE! Enjoy the cooler weather while you can as next week is gonna be HOT SecondHandSmoker SecondHandSmoker The SW wind is blowing all the smoke up here in the White Mountains..... It's turning into a real monster, like the Wallow fire a few years ago.

Thank you John, I was pretty darned happy with myself at the end of the day! Once I got the SQ36 dialed in it became a lot more relaxing to use, there's really nothing to ever get nervous about and it's rewarding to feel like a big part of the cook.

It is going to be a scorcher here next week, bigtime! Last year when we moved here it was 113º every day for a week in out backyard, I'm anticipating that starting Tuesday. Smoke from the Bush fire could become an issue here depending on which way the wind blows John, I'd imagine that's what you're getting up there. Thanks for the Like amigo, I do appreciate it. RAY

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky