Sriracha sauce. Kinda.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Steve H

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 18, 2018
Newark New York
After a week. I processed the Red Fresnos today when I got home from work.

IMG_20230708_125713945.jpg

This was my most active ferment yet. This was bubbling like a witches caldron!

IMG_20230715_160043428.jpg

Draining while I get the champion set up.

IMG_20230715_162941771.jpg

I forgot to take a pic before adding the vinegar. It had a really deep red to it.
For the blend I used 1 cup of rice vinegar, 1 tbs of sugar.
Preprocess PH was 3.9
After adding the vinegar. It was 3.6. Added another 1/2 cup. Now at 3.3
Preblended 1/8 tsp xanthan gum in 1/2 cup water with the boat motor. And gradually added. And blended until I was happy with the thickness.
Tasted again. Added another tbs of sugar. Now I'm happy!
Verdict?
Well, I was aiming to get that well known sriracha sauce profile. That didn't happen.
What I did get was something different. But, in a very tasty way.
I must have "tested" this 20 times it was so good. It isn't as hot as I thought it would be. There's heat. But quite
manageable. When I do this again. And I will. I'll leave more seeds and membrane in the ferment.
What I ended up with. In my opinion. Was an "Asian buffalo wing sauce" If that makes any sense! And I am going to test that theory soon.
Thanks for the looky!

Looks good Steve

Point for sure
Chris

Looks tasty Steve! Is it hotter than jalapeno?
Thanks Jeff! Before processing. Yes, it certainly was. But after getting the PH down. It lost some of the heat. I would say it is about the same. Perhaps a touch hotter. My next batch will be a longer ferment to drop the PH. And reducing the amount of vinegar. The rice vinegar I used was at 4.2 acidity. So, I was surprised I needed to add more of it.

Reactions: jcam222
Steve H Steve H ...

Well, I was aiming to get that well known sriracha sauce profile. That didn't happen.
What I did get was something different. But, in a very tasty way.

That happened to me first batch I made...it was good, but off. Then I reread the directions and followed then to a T...left the tops on and made another batch....bingo.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky